Devil In A Blue Dress

Whats up!!!!!! I just did the trans in mine also. The car looks hella good nice job!!!!!!

Hey! I think I jinx'd myself after that NWDE meeting, meeting you and talking about your bad transmission... My Reverse synchro has always been a little touchy but right after that meet it just shit the bed! Glad to see you got yours replaced no prob. You don't have any excuse to not to go the next meet ;) Was cool to meet you at NWDE BTW, and I'm still jealous of your color :P

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the awesome pic and explanation Dr. FrankenSTEIN! (Young Frankenstein kick ass) I'm laughing, thinking back to when I needed to do my clutch and was considering shop work. When you said just pull the damn thing I can do it an a couple hours.... Now I'm jumping in there no fear and know I can swap this bad boy out no prob! Thanks for the motivation :)

i love that movie i just watched it th other day as a matter of act lol im glad i motivated someone like i said if you can turn a wrench and know which way is tighter and whch way is looser you cn preitty much do this swap glad to hear you got i done yourself kind of a bummer abou the reverse though did t at least go into reverse? i highly doubt there was a reverse syncro to begin with syncros are there to make shifting between gears easier i dont think there is one for first gear eather but i could be wrong

question did you have working reverse lights? if so which god damn switch is it in the transmission!!!! i havent had reverse lights since i did the swap myself for 2 reasons the wires fell off the plugs and i dont know which one is for reverse lights

UPDATE! Well I got my "new" Tranny cleaned and painted all purdy:

Car317.jpg

Drained the oil, flushed it, ran it, flushed it again :) I made a neat little tool to turn it with to help flush it out. Its the end of a driveline trimmed down to just in input shaft and the U-joint then I welded a socket extension in the end of the U-join put a socket adapter in a drill gun and presto! Its also useful to stop fluid from leaking out of a transmission your moving around :)

Car320.jpg

Car321.jpg

Car322.jpg

Car323.jpg

Now time to swap her out! Old Tranny:

Car332.jpg

Car333.jpg

Car336.jpg

Car347.jpg

The fluid that came out of the old tranny was BLACK!

While the tranny was out I took a look at my clutch and found that my pilot bushing was ummm... loose and had been spinning away inside the crankshaft!

This doesn't look good:

Car349.jpg

Luckily I had an extra and put that one in. When I did my clutch a couple months ago I referred to the "how to keep your Datsun alive" book

fd48c0a398a062d25e71b110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It said that I should soak my bushing in oil for 30 min prior to installation... sounded fishy to me, but I trusted the book. Guess this is where you don't believe everything you read eh? The new bushing I put in dry and made sure it was firmly seated! Re-assembled my clutch and started putting the new trans in :)

Putting her in:

Car355.jpg

Car345.jpg

Car344.jpg

Car342.jpg

Car357.jpg

Everything went nice and smooth this time. The biggest pain was my funky exhaust pipe that doesnt have enough play to break at the collector and is solid back from there so I had to cut it and re-weld, No biggie though :) filled her with fluid and took it her for a drive. The transmission felt like a dream however my clutch was really soft and I felt some slip... when I was in there the pressure plate and flywheel looked gorgeous, there wasn't even any ware on the flywheel resurfacing yet... My clutch slave & master all work fine and the throw out lever is moving just as it should... only thing I can think of is that I might have gotten some oil on the disk. Grumble. Any other idea's? and if this is the case any suggestions other then opening her back up and replacing the disk... I talked to Icehouse and he said to take it easy on the clutch and the oil might burn off before it glazes... being as I just dropped a new roadster clutch in I don't want to glaze the bastard!

I would suggest that if your clutch is soft, with a roadster plate, something is not right. Maybe the pressure plate is not up to specs?

I find it hard to believe you abused your clutch more than I did, pulling a two horse trailer, with two horses, with a 521 truck.

I would suggest that if your clutch is soft, witha roadster plate, something is not right. Maybe the pressure plate is not up to specs?

I find it hard to believe you abused your clutch more than I did, pulling a two horse trailer, with two horses, with a 521 truck.

pull the inspection cover and try to spray it with brake clean

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been super broke after my new tranny... So feeling the need to work on my dime I decided to try and finish up my LCA's and bushing's. So I brainstormed for a bit then decided to take the metal insert from the bushing wrap a little electrical tape around it for some grip on the poly bushing, put a longer bolt through it with a slightly larger washer on the bottom and top to hold the bushing in. I then moved the belts on my drill press to the fastest possible setting. and chucked that baby in there:

car359.jpg

car360.jpg

Now, I took a belt sander belt and cut it in half and used that to hold against the bushing, hoping to sand off the desired amount!

car361.jpg

Well I kicked that drill press on (damn does she hum at max RPM) and put the belt on and it started sanding off nicely!

car363.jpg

If you hold on the bushing to long/hard it will actually start melting the bushing but just let off for a sec and then hit it with a fresh part of the belt and it will clean it right back up! checked the bushing often to make sure I was not taking her down too much. I ended up put just a slight taper on the end to help push into the LCA.

car362.jpg

car364.jpg

Finished them both up, Painted my LCA's and pressed those bad boys in:

car371.jpg

I moved into my new shop on friday! So happy to have a nice space to work on the dime and I can come & go as I please and leave it there, unlike at my work shop :cool:

Car376.jpg

Pulled my Tranny out to see what my clutch slippage was about and it was ugly! more on this Here. Now I'm waiting for ANOTHER clutch kit to arrive and digging into some serious fun! I pulled my Struts out & my LCA's out. My Right LCA was twisted and bent! (explains my tire rub that side)

Car387.jpg

Car389.jpg

Car390.jpg

Car388.jpg

Everything else suspension wise looked ok down there. I have the restored LCA's with new bushing to put in ready to go! I plan on putting in the Delrin Idler bushing also and some RCA's (bumpsteer Spacers)

My struts looks nice cept there was one small tear in the right rubber cover which I found some pumice type rock in! (obviously the previous owner had been doing some rallying... No big deal though I cleaned it out and I will fix the tear. I still haven't gotten a 100% identification on my struts/brakes but as they work great still I will just put them back in and not worry about even though I would like to know eventually...

Car393.jpg

Car394.jpg

Car396.jpg

Car397.jpg

Car398.jpg

My Ball joints seemed to be working fine, (dirty & nasty as shit though) but as they are pretty damn cheap I'll throw so new ones in while I got it all apart..

Car403.jpg

Car404.jpg

Car405.jpg

Car406.jpg

Next, I pulled my doors off to re-build my hinges and put new weather rubber on.

Car411.jpg

I also Pulled all my electrics outta the trunk to scrub all the rust out and prep it for a full coat of paint and a general clean up of wiring. I also am going to install my new 140 GPH performance fuel pump, surge tank and 5gal reserve gas tank :cool:

Car409.jpg

Anyone here have one of these little gorilla grip lights with magnetic feet? They are a mech's best friend! the magnets are incredibly strong and it has a awesome dim-able LED. If you don't have one, get one!

Car414.jpg

Car415.jpg

Oh Has anyone ever done anything to 'fill in' the area right behind your front tires where you quarter panel meet the body? It seems like all its there for is to collect mud/rocks & crap! I think I might try to fab something up to cover it and smooth out the inner fender area...

Car402.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I know I have done Tons of work but not alot of pictures to back it up...

1. Re-built my clutch slave & master

2. Scrubbed the entire undercarriage and have been sealing/painting

3. Pulled entire front suspension/steering linkage for re-fit/replacement

4. Cleaned out/welded several body cancers (valance drainage tubes suck)

5. Installed new clutch (thanks Dean from Datsunparts.com)

6. Cleaned/re-built all 4 door hinges (damn those bottom hinge pins were HARD to get out)

7. Re-built the Idler arm, had to trim the sleeve a bit... (Thanks Carter from E.E.)

8. Cleaned/Scrubbed/Brushed & painted more parts then I care to again for a while!

9. Prepped passenger compartment for Dynamat & carpet :cool:

I had some BRIGHT green engine paint that I was never gonna use so I threw it on my strut springs for fun, not sure I'm gonna leave it though... Probably gonna re-paint with candy red to match my theme. Here is the springs and my other painted parts:

Car432.jpg

More Pictures Coming Soon!

• 1 month later...

Got her back together! Tons oh'work Some pics :)

Prepped for 'peel & seal' Ratsun Sound deaden-er:

Car429.jpg

Peel & seal in:

Car515.jpg

Car520.jpg

Ground the rust out of my trunk and gave her a vinegar bath to remove rust. Cut out the FUNKY previous battery tray and half of my spare tire well. Then welded new steel in. Fabbing/forming the kidney/rounded shape was a mission!

Car517.jpg

Car519.jpg

Car518.jpg

Bondo smothing:

Car498.jpg

Broke my Headlight Rings, Spot welded them 1/8" bigger and put in some halogen halo's :cool:

Car511.jpg

Car512.jpg

Car453.jpg

Car454.jpg

Car455.jpg

Car456.jpg

Drilled out my alternator Mount to use one long bolt, Rather then 2 bolt on opposite sides. Used a nylock nut, MUCH more secure :)

Car471.jpg

Car470.jpg

Hand-cut Carpet going in: (bad pics sorry)

Car484.jpg

Car485.jpg

Re-built suspension & steering linkage:

Car489.jpg

Car490.jpg

Car510.jpg

Car508.jpg

Car507.jpg

Car506.jpg

Car504.jpg

Cleaned/painted/new gasket Diff cover, Mustache bar, and custom bushings I made with a hole saw out of some tire rubber :P

Car497.jpg

Car493.jpg

Painted new trunk :cool:

Car501.jpg

Car502.jpg

New Stainless battery tray installed (thanks to 'Heavy Metal Works' Tim!) with cleaned/painted gas tank and preliminary wiring:

Car488.jpg

Car487.jpg

More pics to come, However I will say some things about the gear I put in first:

Idler arm bushing replacement and new steering linkage = Butter! (in a good way)

Bumpsteers spacers (RCA's) = ESSENTIAL!

Peel & seal + camping pad foam + carpet + door weatherstripping = you Can talk to your passenger and listen to music! (awesome)

New suspension bushings + grease gun all fitting = OMFG! tighter steering, better handling and less rattling :cool:

rebuilt door hinges = SO F'ing nice my doors don't 'drop' when you open them!

I have been saving up these parts for over a year and It is SO damn nice to have them in! I'm not a rich man but saving a part here and a part there pays off when you get them all in! Thanks to all who helped and even more love to all the haters ;)