Radiator for an L16

fisch

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you say MODINE?..Hainz will back me up here...no excuse for going cheap with a radiator...yep, a good 3 core Modine will probably set ya back 'bout 135 bucks or more...but, works well for many many many years.....

I don't mind spending the bucks. That's why god invented paypal! Are there size restrictions I have to keep in mind for mounting?

I wonder if a 620 rad will fit? Most L20Bs are 3 core too.

I read somewhere that a VW rabbit or Scirocco sized radiator would fit. Can anyone verify this, or what years? Might help me track down which Modine would fit.

Thanks Mike I tracked down the vw swap in at Dime Quartly. Good to know that is an option.

Does anyone know if there is a Modine that is a direct bolt in? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Does anyone know if there is a Modine that is a direct bolt in? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Don't know specifically...but when I got the radiator for my 620...I had the old one in hand and we looked up the specifics in the book the guy had at the shop...I believe he was looking for the outside measurements...don't remember if we looked up for a "1973 Datsun 620" or if we just went with the "length and height"...dunno, it's way early in the morn....I may still have the receipt later on after work I will look to see.....

I found out a few years ago Modine went out of Bussiness.

for a 521 need a 510/521 radiator

I bought new spare from a source on the web it used the Modine part# but find out its a Chinese clone.

YOu could see if a radiator shop can fix it. THey can fix them or some of them if the top/bottom are still good.

I seen Godan brand radiator sold for about 225-250 and I dont know where they are made im sure its imported unless Nissan has a stock somewhere.

the Datsun 620 rads will NOT fit due to the lower input location will hit the alternator on a 510/521.

Maybe the dealer has them??????????

Puente Hill Nissan about 7 yrs ago had 2 core 510 rads for 150$ But I dont have a part # for them and maybe enter it on nissanparts.cc

Rods Discount Datsun (so called Discount) has recored 3 cores . I have one and satisfied with it so far that I took it out cause My heater out put was luke warm at best even with a 195 stat installed(winter time). I went back with the 2 core.

Rods Discount Datsun (so called Discount) has recored 3 cores . I have one and satisfied with it so far that I took it out cause My heater out put was luke warm at best even with a 195 stat installed(winter time). I went back with the 2 core.

maybe its time for an electric fan with a manual switch?

I hooked up the factory elec fan to a switch in my Pulsar. Last winter I could drive all week to and from work (not even snowing) and never turn on the fan. it kept perfect temp as long as I'm either driving over 20mph or not stopped at a stop light for more than 4 minutes. Even then, it would warm up so slowly that I just had to start moving a little and the temp would drop right back to normal.

I briefly had one. I got the temp switch from something and mounted it inline in the return hose. I don't actually ever remember it comming on! The thermostat kept the motor at the right temp and the 3 core supplied more than enough cool water. The fan was from a chevette or something. I took the magnets out and put them in backwards so the fan direction was reversed and used as a pusher fan. The fucked up clutch fan I just hacksawed off ahead of the pulley but there still wasen't enough room. When I got a new clutch fan, I switched back. Maybe should have left it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got mine back from the radiator guy. He says it will hold, so we will see! He boiled and patched.

It was bizarre when I pulled it though. Looks like in its past someone actually cut out the return neck and welded it to the Proper position and patched the old hole on the right side.

It is far from pretty!

• 2 months later...

I called around for a L16 radiator for my '73 620 and got the same story. They can't get that radiator any more. I looked online and talked to tech dudes at sites like radiator.com, radiatorinfo.com. Same thing. I went to a local radiator shop and talked to a middle aged guy that sounded like the voice of experiance.

He looked at mine and showed me where it had been recored before. He wouldn't repair it but said that he could recore it for $285.

I said, that to my knowelege, the 620 was more or less common from '73 to '78, but that there were different displacement engines. I ask if there were radiators of different capacities. He said yes.

I ask, if I had this L16 unit recored, would it be too small if I wanted to swap to an L20. He said yes.

I ask, can you tell me if an L20 radiator will bolt right up to my '73, so when I do the swap, I can use it. He said, he didn't think so, but that that the L16 radiator is really short and L18 & L20 units were taller and either the outlet would be too low or the top of it would hit the hood.

I ask him if I could have this L16 unit recored to L20 capacity and he said yes, $350. But, we don't know if it will line up with an L20. :(

I am not in a huge hurry to get a radiator because I'm still doing other work. I'm also not going to pull this L16 that I built 40K ago. I have too much other stuff to do too.

I guess I should blow $285 and just get this one the full pimp job. :o

Are there other areas to investigate? Anybody know about other import or racing apps? Comments? Suggestions?

Unless you are planning on doing a completely stock restoration......DO NOT spend that kind of money on a radiator repair/recore. Even then I wouldn't do it. You can get a custom aluminum for that kind of money. If I remember right, layinga521 got one from Summit for about that. A brand new, in the box VW rabbit radiator is only about $100 and will work just fine with a couple of easy mods.

Why would L16 or L20 make any difference as far as mounting goes in a 620. They are both mounting to the same core support and the water neck on the motor is the same i think. Sure the L20 will be a little taller due to the taller deck height of the block, but that is like 3/4". If i remember correctly the 73-74 radiators were the same and the 75-79 radiators were the same and the only difference was the location of the upper hose mounting(opposite sides). Just requires the appropriate hose to match the proper side.

Please correct me if this is wrong info stored in my brain.

Jason

521s use the 510 radiator which are gettign expensive and harder to get.

use 510 hoses. a 510/521 rad will not work in a620 due to the lower outlet will hit the alternator

the early 620s had the return to from the thermostat to the passenger side.

I rarely seen these myself

but most later 620 when back to the standard returnto the rad as a 510 and most other L series.

if running a 620 just get the latter 77-78-79 3 core(might be too much in cooler climates) and run the 620 upper and lower hoses for that year.

can look up Rockauto.com as they might have photos of the parts

You might try these guys...

http://www.performanceradiator.com/

They make some nice radiators and are priced right. A friend of mine just got a brand new radiator for his 85 yota for $120. Aluminum core and bolt in. Very nice peice. I also heard they recore radiators with an new aluminum core for $100.

I called Mac's and they couldn't couldn't source a replacement of any kind. They said, bring it in and we will recore it for maybe $225. I'm going to drop by today for a face to face, they are ten minutes from my shop.

I just called Performance radiator and talked to a tech. They list units for the L16 & L18, but don't stock them. He said, send it down and we will recore it!!

He suggested that I go to a junk yard with (he said the name, but I can't remember) search software and they can use search criteria like outlet locations and size to find substitutes.

Hainz, I will try to see if I can find a 77-78-79 3 core in stock somewhere and see how it fits. (run a hotter thermostat)

Jason Yello 620, I think you are right. They should all bolt up.

Mike, thanks for the links. I will chase them down too.

Thanx guys!

Hainz, I will try to see if I can find a 77-78-79 3 core in stock somewhere and see how it fits. (run a hotter thermostat)

620 rads should be common at least a couple years ago whn I cked. Most will be cheap made ones. Like Singapore or maybe now even China.

I had a 3 core(Rods "socalled" Discount Datsun) in my 521 and with a 195 stat and I was still cold in winter. I have a 2 core now.

I dont give up my 510/521 rads ,for some reason they cost alot more than the 620 rads

try the varouis websites sites for a 620 rad.

Radiator.com????

rockauto

http://info.rockauto.com/GoDan/Detail2.html?www.pliii.com/productcatalog/catalog.asp?partnum=433638

at that price buy 2. You might need it!!!!