Radiator for an L16

fisch

The service manager at Mac's tried to help me as much as he could. But armed with some info that was listed on his data base, I went further up Foster Road to the Pick 'N Pull to see if there were any trucks.

There was a nice '75 620 with an L20... can't believe it got junked. The bolt holes for the width were the same, 20"OC, but mine are 8"OC vertically. This truck's were more like ten inches, but that wouldn't be hard to adapt. The width is kinda the important dimension.

There was an '80 720 with an L20. It had a sweet rad and fans shroud. Wish I coulda used it, but it was about three inches too wide. The grill opening is just way different.

I went back and hashed it all over again with the guy at Mac's and found out basically the same thing I could have by searching the rockauto page that Hainz linked. 620s '73/L16 & '74L18 radiators N/A. 620s '75/L20 and on, use part #638.

The only thing bothering me now is that my radiator core measures 13" W x 16" H. The spec on the rockauto page says 13 x 18 5/8. I'm assuming width first. In the photo it looks square. Wish I could get one in my little hands. In the back of my mind is that the guy from Beaverton Radiator was just shaking his head saying that I was going to have hose fit issues using a L20 rad on the L16.

Rockauto wants $112 with shipping $120. Mac's wants $158.

Input sports fans?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are like 3 different radiators for the 620.I have used them all.The 72 1/2 & 73 do not have a dip in the core support to set the radiator further foreward.Hose on the drivers side rather than the pass I think.The mid era had the hose on the pass (I think).The later one was much wider and would not bolt directly on the 72 1/2.Similar to a 720 radiator.

I mounted a 510/521 radiator in it once without a shroud and it cooled great but I needed it for the 521.Now I have a 73 2 core leaker.I cant remember where I got all the radiators I have used but I continually have issues getting something from later 620s to work is what I am getting at.The rabbi rad is probably the best bet for all of us.

Looks like Troy Emish is selling an alluminum radiator kit for a 510.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-Custom-aluminum-radiator_W0QQitemZ130187014358QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130187014358

A cheap option i was going to try in my 521 if the radiator couldn't be repaired was this 78-79 510. The inlet and outlet look close to the right spot. But the bottom one is angled up more. Someone try it for $100 and let us know if it works!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-79-NISSAN-510-RADIATOR-AUTO-CAR-PART-NEW_W0QQitemZ250199492617QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250199492617

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-510-78-79-80-Radiator_W0QQitemZ320147805812QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320147805812

Interesting timing here. Posted on this thread last night and went ot work today and my bos was throwing away a Modine catalog from 2003/2004. Of course i am a packrat and brought it home. This catalog has all the part numbers for the Datsun trucks back to 1971 and 510's back to 1968. Looking through the catalog and it also has pictures of all the radiators, with all the dimensions. However the dimension spread is identical to the spread on the rockauto page.

Jason

Oh man that Modine info is good info to have. A few months ago I contacted a guy who had a ton of modines he bought from a guy going out of buisness. But he had no idea what part #'s went with which cars and asked if I had a catalog for modine. I will have to try to remember who he was...

Jason if you wouldn't mind posting the modine #'s for our dattos, that would be sweet! I will try to rack my brain for that guy's contact.

Allrighty I managed to find the info on the guy with a bunch of modines (none for our old L's though), however I was wrong that he needed #'s for modines. What he needed #'s for were a Canadian radiator manufacturer SCF. Any Canadian Ratsuners have access to old shop catalogs? Who knows, you might get a free radiator out of it? Here is what he said.

"The modines were not the problem, I believe we have the applications for the Modine radiators provided, it was the other brand that we could find no reference for. These were the SCF canadian manufactured radiators which we could not locate any applications information for anywhere."

Oh and as I recall none of their Modines fit our Datsuns. And who knows about these SCF ones.

Allrighty I managed to find the info on the guy with a bunch of modines (none for our old L's though), however I was wrong that he needed #'s for modines. What he needed #'s for were a Canadian radiator manufacturer SCF. Any Canadian Ratsuners have access to old shop catalogs? Who knows, you might get a free radiator out of it? Here is what he said.

Oh and as I recall none of their Modines fit our Datsuns. And who knows about these SCF ones.

Any chance that it might have been CSF instead of SCF??

My modine book has a cross referenc from CSF to modine numbers.

Jason

Any chance that it might have been CSF instead of SCF??

My modine book has a cross referenc from CSF to modine numbers.

Jason

Jason, I asked, you were right, they are CSF. Do you have those cross refrence #'s handy? It is a long shot, but who knows?