PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

Chris- im torn between using an electric or mechanical pump but so you know i have some angled steel 3 inch blocks. Would you trade your pump for them? PM, i have a friend who has a 620 4 speed ;)

Bonvo- good eye, the rear carb is super close to the booster. Ill have to get creative.

Mike- ive hand prime'd the pump after the truck sits for awhile many times & after a few tries she fires up. Ill try the gas can trick too.

Scott- TY for the love. The seats fit the cab well & are comfortable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

something of note here, on the electric pump............... The cheapo ones you see at kragen and such for 20-30 bucks are direct replacement for the factory ones when the truck has A/C. (I know, I installed one and it's identical!)

Just make sure you get the one that's rated at 5psi or something around there. One is high pressure for EFI and the low pressure is for carbs.

Paul

Ray i did think of using a 720 pump...Ill look for one next time im @ the yards.

Looks like ill be picking up a stock Datsun fuel pump from Jose tomorrow just to get it on the road.

Then i was inspired to fab a bracket for the HEI module & some velocity stacks for the SU's.

11kgn5w.jpg

448p2.jpg

ive had these stacks for years,,Ryan [in Seattle-san diego] gave them to me before he dissappeared...

2lca9t0.jpg

backing plates are 16 gauge & ill weld the stack to it...

efy12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok ive worked out a deal with Moises & today i mounted the pump to the frame. Basically i boxed in 1 of the bed mounts,drilled 2 holes & mounted. Had to re-route the gas lines & tomorrow ill wire it up.

25kq92a.jpg

mmees5.jpg

I may make a cover for it too down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I have since decided to ditch the electric fuel pump & go back to a mechanical. I scored 2 of them this week from 2 Ratsun brothers. TY Jose & Robert. The bigger one is what Ill use, it's an Atsugi brand.......

n1tkcx.jpg

Going to clean it up & maybe polish it up a bit.

So how is my truck going man, you need to make sure it is all nice for when I take it off our hands,,,,wink.gif

"your" truck is still fighting me. Today i removed the 720 pump,plumbed in a ball valve-fuel cut off, cleaned & painted the mech. pump candy blue / installed it, turned the key a few times & no start. Ill put some NGK plugs in it in a few days & see if that helps.

you're welcome amigo, i'll cruise by your casa soon

Kool your welcome anytime.

With help from Mklotz [via phone] i figured out why the truck wasnt firing [brain fart on my part] but..........

i heard a hissing noise as i turned the motor over. Did some digging & found the #4 spark plug is loose! I can grab the end & wiggle it back & forth...so i guess thats what the hissing noise was. Air escaping as the piston comes up.

Is there a way to maybe re-tap the head where the plug goes in & run a slightly bigger plug if nessesary ?

Kool your welcome anytime.

With help from Mklotz [via phone] i figured out why the truck wasnt firing [brain fart on my part] but..........

i heard a hissing noise as i turned the motor over. Did some digging & found the #4 spark plug is loose! I can grab the end & wiggle it back & forth...so i guess thats what the hissing noise was. Air escaping as the piston comes up.

Is there a way to maybe re-tap the head where the plug goes in & run a slightly bigger plug if nessesary ?

oh nooo...

when my dad still owned the kingcab, the number 1 plug hole did the same thing. i remember him saying that he helicoiled the threads. ive looked at the threads tho, and it doesnt look helicoiled, so i dunno. he did say that when he did it, he used lots of grease on the tap to keep shavings from falling in the cylinder. the little bit that did fall in he said he didnt worry about since it was just soft aluminum shavings.

now you say that the plug is loose side to side. have you tried snuggin it up to see what would happen? dont strip it if it feels like it gonna. then itll be time for a new head...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow i had to dig around to find my thread since it's been months w/ no updates. Turns out i will have to drill out & retap the threads on the #4 plug. So today i pushed it out of the garage making it easier to work on. Got a wild hair & put a new plug in #4...primed the fuel pump...turned the key & BAM ! She fired up & ran for a few seconds before blasting the #4 plug right out of the head ! :rolleyes:

No biggie...im so happy that it even fired up! I swear I damm near killed a battery last year trying to get it to run so to hear this today made my day. I will add that i adjusted the star nuts on the bottom of the SU's to baseline settings & i believe that helped. So now in the coming days Ill be working on repairing the plug threads & then see how she idles / runs. I was so happy i snapped a pic...

a3fcrb.jpg