bmxanddie's 69 wagon

just picked it up 4days ago. i Still need to hook up a throttle cable to get it running. And some idiot put the gas tank inside the car, and cut a huge hole in the back, so i gotta weld that up too. Any one got a wagon gas tank? the one thats in there, looks like its from a ford.

whole car

wholecar-1.jpg

front

front.jpg

front seats, excellent shape

frontseats.jpg

Rear seats, also excellent shape

backseat.jpg

engine

engine.jpg

Carb setup

sidedraft.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so the previous owner primed the entire car over the original paint. but the original yellow is still there. is there a decent way i can get the primer off and keep the og paint? paint thinner works, but it might take me 2 years to get it all off..

Get a can of reducer, a bunch of rags, and some butyl gloves (the big thick ones that will make your hands sweat really bad)

Rub it down with a rag, in a well ventilated area (outside) Make sure not to let it soak into the original paint too bad. It should come off fairly quick if its rattle can primer.

I got a primer fender from the yard back in the day and noticed it had the same red as my little courier rally truck, hit it with reducer and polished it up with some rubbing compound (TR3) by hand and it looked better than the the rest of the truck. Just takes a little time but its not too bad.

Sweet Goon! Under the hood looks pretty snazzy, and the body looks pretty straight. Yeah, wetsanding would be best, but paint thinner would probably be quickest.

I'll get a few pictures of my fuel cell for you later this evening. I have some on my photobucket that I'll find when the boss leaves!

not a bad looking start for a wagon. if you can get the primer off nice the yellow is nice. would look nice with those wheels. I really like the seats. just need some nice door panels and interior and it would be very nice. how does it drive with a single sidedraft? I have been wondering about that setup and hear the lynx manifold is nice to use.

Edited by benzo
not a bad looking start for a wagon. if you can get the primer off nice the yellow is nice. would look nice with those wheels. I really like the seats. just need some nice door panels and interior and it would be very nice. how does it drive with a single sidedraft? I have been wondering about that setup and here the lynx manifold is nice to use.

i dont know how it drives yet because the throttle cable is broken. but i got a new one on the way so we'll see then.

i got alot of the primer off today, but it just got way to hot for rubbing a car in the sun. So we'll see what i can get done tomorrow

its rattle can primer for sure. paint thinner seems to work the best for sure. but i'll definitely try the steel wool idea too. thank for the ideas, if you got anymore keep them coming

I'd try scotch brite pads instead of steel wool. They won't disintegrate as fast.

not a bad looking start for a wagon. if you can get the primer off nice the yellow is nice. would look nice with those wheels. I really like the seats. just need some nice door panels and interior and it would be very nice. how does it drive with a single sidedraft? I have been wondering about that setup and here the lynx manifold is nice to use.

NICE:lol:

just noticed something in the pic. I personally would re route the fuel line as that may become a fire hazard. rubber hose over a moving or vibrating motor can wear a hole in the hose and a fire will happen. i would also move the fuel filter more toward a area away from the motor as sometimes so many joints from clamps can cause a fire from a possible loose clamp. just don't want to see a cool potential ride go to toast.

That goon is sweet!!!!

I'd try scotch brite pads instead of steel wool. They won't disintegrate as fast.

I agree, spend the time and you can get back to the original paint just be careful the origninal paint is really thin!!!

just warning you, it looks like you have a door thats a different shade of yellow. Front pass side.

Thats a really nice start though. looking forward to all the progress :thumbup:

yeah i know, i really dont mind the different color. i just dont like primer grey.

I got my gas tank all cleaned out today and painted, so im gonna throw that back in and try to get it started. ill post some more progress pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update.

got the hole in my cargo area all patched up

welding.jpg

finishedpatch-1.jpg

then took off my old carb setup off and put on the stock manifold again. i'm just going to run a weber for reliability right now. I really wanna drive this thing.

carbandintake.jpg

newintake.jpg

Im going to order a weber tomorrow and hopefully get that on asap. I also need to figure out a throttle cable setup once i get the carb on. As of right now there is nothing. and ideas?