nissan to re-introduce datsun name

found this by accident. searched CL for datsun, and someone listed some 1989 Datsun Charade parts. never heard of that so googled around and stumbled across this. The "89 Datsun Charade" parts was supposed to be Daihatsu...

According to the page they are wanting to re-introduce the datsun name

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/07/28-datsun-xlink-concept/

_Datsun-XLink-Concept-1.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_top.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_rear.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_front.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_city.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been internal debate at corporate Nissan for years about brining the Datsun name back as a seperate car line with affordable tuner friendly type vehicles. I have heard talk that if done it would be similar to the setup that Toyota runs with Scion. I doubt it will ever happen but since working at the dealership I've heard the Nissan suits mention the possibility of such a thing to ownership several times.

From what I've gathered it's just like NSRz32 said, the "new" Datsun would be a together-but-separate kind of deal. Nissan would market affordable cars under the name Datsun with hopes of muscling into the more economical tuner market. From a business standpoint I can see why they would want to launch a "separate" company in case things don't go as planned (undesirable cars, tuner-lite market tanks, or plain and simple the name Datsun doesn't catch on among numerous other reasons). I could be mistaken but I am almost positive I've seen a few Datsun prototype sketches and drawings, though I doubt Nissan is endorsing any of them at the moment.

I think it's doomed to failure if they try.Idiots working at Nissan dealers today are clueless to what a"Datsun" is.The general public is worse.Resurrecting icons is a crap shoot at best.Look at GM,every name badge from the past they have brought back has been a miserable failure(typical GM).The 2004 GTO being the biggest flop of all.Ford flopped with the T-bird.Only Chrysler has had success with the Challenger.

It's not going to happen, more poop talk to keep exposure.

If it does happen though and their 1st car is some bs generic, scion looking, kid car instead of something proper nissan/datsun w/e is going to drop down yet another peg in my book. Something that has been happening often lately.

Edited by 72240z

Z-train,

Up until 5 weeks ago I was one of the Idiots working at a Nissan dealership. Every once in a while there is someone on the other side of the counter that has a clue about what a Datsun is and actually knows how to find parts for em. However, I have heard you opinion many times and feel that mostly people just don't care about the job they are doing.

Rant over.

P.S. 23 years at a Nissan dealers and never heard about bringin back the Datsun name other than the reconditioned Z's that went over like a fart in church.

P.S. 23 years at a Nissan dealers and never heard about bringin back the Datsun name other than the reconditioned Z's that went over like a fart in church.

bahahahhaha!!! its just a webpage, it could be wrong? would make sense to introduce cheaper cars under another name like someone was saying in a previous thread. but with big companies going down, is it really a good time to try this?

who wants to spend 30K for a car when I can buy good running dependable vehicles for 500 bucks everyday if I was able too. And out of the 40 some odd cars and trucks i've had, I still haven't spent 30K in all these years.

If a car company came out with a good dependable vehicle that was sporty yet usefull and the price tag was only 3000 bucks, then I would consider getting one.

who wants to spend 30K for a car when I can buy good running dependable vehicles for 500 bucks everyday
Most people would want the new car. They are called 'consumers'. We Ratsun people are instead 'recyclers'. We are the minority. The elite. The few. The chosen. We are Ratsun.

VW did this to all the old water cooled guys a little while back with the bringing back of the "Rabbit" name and butchering the scirroco name making it "scIROCo". Taking away and killing all that the old water cooled scene had.

Trust me its not a pretty sight when a car company plays round with what is considered "sacred and holy" to people like us. It will be a very sad day when nissan releases cheap, scion like, cars under the Datsun name.

found this by accident. searched CL for datsun, and someone listed some 1989 Datsun Charade parts. never heard of that so googled around and stumbled across this. The "89 Datsun Charade" parts was supposed to be Daihatsu...

According to the page they are wanting to re-introduce the datsun name

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/07/28-datsun-xlink-concept/

_Datsun-XLink-Concept-1.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_top.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_rear.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_front.jpg

datsun_xlink_concept_car_city.jpg

you know whats funny about this. I USE TO DRAW CARS LIKE THESE WHEN I WAS A KID!!!!! Grrrr. :D

Well okay similar at least, but with the corvette lik fenders and big blowers coming out of the front hood. My cars didn't have a back seat, they had a back bed. :D