Age you bought your first Dat, and age you are now.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 19 when I bought my first Datsun, it was a 77 Datsun 620 pickup, bought it from my neighbor, he blew a headgasket, he took it apart and couldn't put it back together, it was stock when I first got it, it was early to late 80's, so i slammed it and put some 15x8 reverse KMC's and cruised Hollywood every weekend. Now I'm 40 and driving a 72 Datsun 510 2 door:)

In 1982 at age 26 I bought a '77 puke green F10 for $1,500.00 (I think) from a coworker when the tranny in my '62 Ford Galaxy 500XL died. I named the F10 "Moto-Chan". I got to like how that car hauled a$$ and got good gas mileage. I drove it for a year until it broke down on the freeway in San Diego. The 5 speed manual tranny quit shifting. I had it towed to Mossy Nissan, where I traded it in on a new '83 Pulsar NX. Owned that car for ten years. It was all banged up when I sold it to my neighbor for his teenaged son for $1,000.00. His son wrecked it within a month.

In 1995 I was looking for a small pickup for my wife when we found a '77 620 longbed automatic for $900.00 for sale a few blocks from our home. We bought it mainly for the automatic as my wife doesn't drive a stick. It was perfect for her gardening hobby, hauling topsoil, etc. We sold it in 2001 for $750.00 to a Mexican fellow who drove it all the way back to Mexico. I wonder if it's still in use today.

Fast forward to about a month ago when, at age 53, I was lucky enough to have a guy sign the title over to me for another '77 620 KC shortbed 5 speed "fixer upper", so now I'm working on another Datsun again.

Dan

hey

The sholuv2 on your page, wasn't that on eBay some time ago or Craigslist. I remember seeing that exact truck or one very identical

Yes, Bob Bonds ShoLuv was on Craigslist earlier in the year. He had sold it a long time ago & was looking for it. I just happened to see it for sale in Rhode Island & hooked him back up with it. It has stayed pretty much like it was when he sold it, just a lil rough around the edges. He is redoing it now. Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Was 16 when I bought a 620 for my first car. I knew I had to have a truck, I knew it had to be cheap and most importantly, it had to be something you don't see everyday. Found it in the Buy Sell. $1000. Googled a pic and HAD TO HAVE IT!!! :D

I'm 22 now, it's been sitting in the garage for 5+ years. What started as installing a weber carb slowly grew into a bigger, and bigger project, "while it was still in the garage". :confused:

Eventually plans outgrew funds so it waited. After some uni away from home, came back, bought an s10 frame to bag and swap the datsun body onto, built 4.3, tranny, headers you name it, all the main pieces were there, most shiny, new and in box. This was a few years ago when 620/720/hardbody frankenstein balljoint swap guides weren't all over the net and if ratsun.net existed, hours of googling never pointed me to it.:confused: S10 parts were cheap and easy to get and BOLT ON, something I could easily manage in my garage. BUt back to school, no time or money. :mad:

Here we are now, out of school and the Datsun has been brewing in my mind for months. I listed all the chevy parts on craigslist because we are moving and I can only store the Datsun ( I WILL NEVER PART WITH THIS TRUCK!!!:love:) and managed through word of mouth to get a call from the former owner of what was THE minitruck shop in my city. We started discussing my current plans for the truck (and they are wild but Top Secret until they become a solid plan of action) and he's become VERY interested in this project. I have ALOT of parts he's interested in for payment, as well as my help on other projects to offer. (he no longer owns the shop but still takes on his own projects) This means I can get a STUPID amount of work done on this truck for a very very reasonable price...

All I will say here is this truck will be like no other 620, no other minitruck, no other vehicle out there today. It will be 99% Pure 620 (+/-90% error) :lol:

It will be a magazine cover truck, show winner, custom, performance, practical daily driver, and will change the world. And because it's a Datsun, it'll be sexy as f*@! I know... tall order to fill... just watch me, you won't have to look far ;)

• 3 months later...

Got my first Datsun in 94' when I was 19, 35 now

The current fleet of Datsuns...........

79'KC my second vehicle, first Datsun, it has about 400,000 on it. (Still have my first car too 72' Ford Gran Torino Sport :D )

73' 620 roadster since 97'

72' 620 trailer since 03'

77' 620 since 05'

2 521s since 3 weeks ago

currently looking at a 78' KC and a 79' KC 4x4

previously owned

78' KC

72' 521

71' 521

72' 620

All 4 of these were straight solid socal trucks with the exception of the 72' 521 which was stolen and wrecked, and even that one wasnt too bad. Never sold a Datsun in 1 piece :blink:

I bought my first in 1976. A brand new green 620 long-bed. I drove all over the country in that thing and spent most of it sleeping in the home made camper on the back. After a hundred-some thousand miles or so, I sold it and drove all kinds of regular stuff. When my wife and I decided to move back to Iowa from Colorado in the late '80s, I needed something to haul stuff and I found a '77 KC 620 in the thrifty nickle for $200 and since I only needed it for a one way trip, I bought it. Five years later, I finally got rid of it because of the 14 light-years it had on the odometer and the 3 pounds of body that hit the ground when the door was closed. I again strayed from Datsuns until a couple of months ago when a co-worker decided to get rid of his project.

Picture003.jpg

Ain't she purdy? I just turned 57 and seem to have returned to a period in my younger days that leaves me with a smile. Could it be a Datsun causing that? I will let you know.;)

Bought my first Datsun, a 1976 620 when I was 14 for $200. Fixed it up used it when I got my permit. Block froze over the winter and instead of fixing it my parents gave me their 1967 Dart GT to drive.

few years later I ended up buying a 78 KC 620, drove it for a year or so till I was T-boned.

ended up finding a 77 620 that I was going to swap the engine into but the insurance company wanted way to much for me to buy it back, so I bought a 70 or 71 521 with a L18 for $100 and swapped that engine.

Ended up trading the 77 620 for a 74 full size Jimmy that I 4X'd until my neighbor said he wanted to trade me his 79 KC 620 for it, and I did.

Sold the 79 KC after a minor incident with some railroad tracks and the trucks torsion bars.

All started 15 years ago, fast forward, almost 30 and have my 75 620.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Bought my first 510 in 83 from a friends mom,$250 bucks beat the living crap out of it for as long as I owned it :o

Have had way too many in the 26 plus years :eek: that I have been driving

Shit now I feel old:blink::rolleyes:

triple digits just in 510s that I have owned:blink:

Most of which were when they were a dime a dozen :lol:

Now 40 something and still love em:thumbup:

only had a 1 year year spout without a running and driving 510 in my hands :blink:

Edited by 510freak

I just relieved I didn't count my first Nissan. The '92 Hardbody standard got in '95 at age 24. I drove it till the tranny went at 180k, bought a '97 x cab and sold the '92 to a friend. He fixed it and drove it till 230k then he sold it.

OK I guess I never did an intro thread, so here goes...

My first Datsun was a 71 510 in 1978 when i was about 17, I'm 47 now

then a string of B210's and a 521 parts chaser.

moved up to a 620 parts chaser and a 240Z

Found the 73 620 I have now about 21 years ago, and it's been an ongoing project,

got it bone stock execpt for a set of 14" white spokers.

I haven't been without a Datsun of some kind since 1978.