Age you bought your first Dat, and age you are now.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we have to buy our first Datsun to post here?

All right, here goes: My dad bought a used 1973 610 sedan 3 months before I turned 4 years old. I asked him if I could drive the car when I was old enough to drive. He just laughed...

That same car has been mine since I turned 16 (Dad gave me the car). I'm 31 years old now. Full retro-restoration. Funny, my dad asked me if he could drive it when it was finished. I just laughed...

I was 17 when I got my first datsun it was a B210 hatch back now Im 32 with

2 nissan patrols 1966 and 1969

4 280z's 1976-78

1 pl521 1970

1 620 4wd king cab w/2.4napz 1977

1 280zx 2+2 1983

1 hard body 1983

I would have more but wife freaks out every time i talk about another one

more is better

my first datsun was a 77 kc 620!

when i was 17 my friend had this truck in his dads shop.

it was a datsun!

i had never noticed them before but i saw this one!

his sister (who was very sexy) owned it and she lived in vancouver.

she blew the head gasket and warped the head?

so there it was and there i was!

it had no head and no rocker pannels.

i wanted it more than i ever wanted anything.

my dad built hot rods and we went to rod runs every summer.

i always liked the cars...but now for the first time in my life i knew what my fav was!

the truck was not gettin fixt so dad bought it for 900 bux.

his friend had a new head that was just waiting for my abuse so i was set!

i drove the shit out of that thing for 3 years!

then i met a guy who called himself booger!

he had a standard cab short box 620.

it had no tortion bars and the rear end was tight to the bumpstops!

he had an l20b with a holley from a omni and a cherry bomb!

his truck was orange,yellow,black,green and it had a fiberglass cowel hood (that i still own today)

when i met booger he was pissed that someone else in our little town owned a datto.

but after a few glares from him with a thumbs up from me he realized that i thought he was the shit! and then we became great friends.

he tought me about tortion bars and how to remove the leaf springs for de-arking and how to instal 3inch blocks! and he also showed me the limit that a truck of it's caliber could be pushed to....wow what a lunatic!

in the end he parked his truck into a huge stump whilst airbourn!

he lived and so did the 3 people that wer in the box.(ouch!)

that was 18 years ago and it was the begining of my love for datsuns!

i have bought 16 620's since then and still have my first kc and most of it's parts.

i am i bonefied certfied datsun freak!

some day i hope to own a goon cuz they are fukin sik!

Damn I got some years to go before I can compare to some of you guys! That would be crazy to have a car for that long... Hopefully I can keep one for that long. I bought my first Datsun when I was 19, it was a 68 roadster. I sank way to much money in it and way to much time.... Now I'm 28. It's funny I remember researching roadsters way back then to find out which one I should get. Here we are, years later, still fooling with the old things :D

I remember buying my first 510, my first 521, my first 1200 and my first 620. After I bought my first 510 then reading everything about doing an SR swap. Man I dreamed about SR's for so long! I remember Hainz saying I would never get it done, just build an L20... Wow how the years go by and the bar goes up. I though after doing the SR I would be happy with my rig, now I want to do dual A arm front suspension.. What comes after that? Are we ever happy? Will I be 55 still fucking with datto's? I just hope by then I have one that is "done" I need to dig up the pic of me next to my fist 510.

I had just turned 18

Bought an 81 datsun 510 wagon, had the z24 engine in it. Automatic, 130k miles and ran like new, on its third carb tho :D

Bought it for 140 dollars from my aunt, no dents or scratches in it. Interior perfect. All i did was change all fluids, new tires brakes and calipers, and a new sound system.

I was 20 or 21 when I got my first datsun, B210 wagon :lol: I beat the living piss out of that thing drove it everywhere and not a straight panel on her but she just kept on going till the day it got towed away for being parked on a public roadway with bad registration. there was a long break in there about 5 years till my next... I'm 36 now and have had a few 510s and a couple trucks over the last 10 years or so and dont regret any of them and I have meet SO many great people because of them

amen!!!

99% of the time datto people are badass

part of the reason I love having my Z is the people Iv met and am still friends with, I met HughDogZ back in 07 at the NWZ show and shine, lol turns out he lived up the street from my ex and would see my Z flyin down the road all the time :lol:

Wow, Looks like I'm not the only one addicted to these cars. :P

Great stories guys, keep them coming.

I just hope by then I have one that is "done"

I think, when you are a true car nut, she will NEVER be "done" :D But I know what you mean. If I finish this Goon the way I want too, it will be the first car I can say was "Done". At least till I think of something new to change on her :lol:

17 when I paid $550 for my first Datto, '78 longbed 5 speed forest green. Loved that truck. Drove it 76,000 miles in 3 and a half years. Wrecked it once, hit a deer with it too. Still have the bed as a trailer.

Paid $300 for a '72 620. Drove the piss outta it. Sold it for $400

Paid $1800 for an '80 720 King Cab 4x4 5 speed. Drove the piss outta it, blew up the 5 speed, replaced it with a 4. My brother in law jumped it and broke a torsion bar. Cost him a case of beer to fix. Sold it for $1500.

I am now 32 and currently have a "71 521 that my father in law gave me. Rebuilt the L16 myself, 2500 miles on it now and nothing has broke yet! Daily driver when weather is good. Work in progress. I will not get rid of this one!

I was 17 when I got my first Datsun. It was a 1980 280zx. I got it for 50.00 at the Clark County Skills Center, from the auto class. It didn't run and they couldn't figure out why. I was in the Diesel tech class when I got it. my buddy and I pushed it into our shop and looked at it. He noticed the plug wires were on backwards, fixed them and it fired up. So it took five min and a diesel class student to figure it out.:lol: I drove it for like three years and got it up to 378,000 mi on the car with the original motor in it. Then sold it like an idiot.

Then I got a 1978 620 KC for 300 from a friend. drove it a year and sold it back to him. Later bought another 78 620 KC project that was a total basket case. fixed it up some and sold it.

This year finally got another 78 620 but not a KC. Now being 25 and have a better idea of these great Datsuns, that is all I want to own now.

Lets, see, I am 36 now, and I've been a dats owner off and on for the last 18 years. Got my first 620 right about this time 18 years ago. It was camo and blue and was fixed up like my kingcab is currently now, refering to the replacement of the engine well after I crunched it into a deer. That truck didn't last long though. It had issues that I wasn't ready to deal with. It smelled like tea inside the cab, had electrical problems and was lacking power. I traded my guitar and paid 200 bucks, plus helped put it together.

I figured it needed a new engine among other things, so i joined the national guard and went off to basic training that summer so I could come home and buy a new engine for it. Well, when I got back, my dad had bought a 79 B210 hatch back and thought it was a better car then my truck was. My dad ended up selling the truck and I ended up with the car. It wasn't much of a trade off because the car had electical problems and literally, some one had thrown a wrench in it. We took the dash apart to check out the wiring and there was a cresent wrench fused to half the wiring harness. Then I got a 71 521 from a carlot and ended up having to have the head rebuilt. Thats when I bought my book, HOw to keep your datsun/nissan L and Z series alive.

that all happened by the end of 91, then I didn't own another datsun until 93 when I got my 79 200sx. I owned it twice. Ended up trading it to my friend I got the truck from to get my guitar back and then traded some other stuff a year later or so and got the car back. by then it was splatter painted different colors from a hacksaw blade. I pulled the motor and tranny out and put it in my 78 510 in 96, and then in 97 I put it in old yeller, my 75 620 i got for 75 bucks. In 98 I sold old yeller and my trailer I made out of another truck that was a failed attempt to put an irs under from an 810.

Then I didn't have a datsun until 2006, and now i have 2 trucks that run and drive, my project truck and my other project truck. So in the last 3 years i've had 7 datsun pickups.

My turn... I got my first Z when I switched jobs from GM to Nissan Motor Corp. This was in '94 when they had the Z convertion in San Diego. My first chance to really appreciate design and engineering of a Datsun. Thereafter I purchased a '74 260Z from the original owner. Since then, 20 Datsuns have come and gone through my driveway and currently have 3 of them ('71 BRE replica 510/ owned 12 yrs; '72 red 620/ owned 12yrs; '72 white 620/owned 6 weeks and is DD). While at Nissan I had the opportunity to also work on the 240Z restoration program Nissan did for a couple years (40 240Zs came out of that program and sold for $25K each). What a great opportunity that was. Was only at Nissan for 3 years and now have been at Toyota Motor Sale for 12 years (lol have only owned 2 Toyotas)... Over the years have met many great people which many of you are on this site... What else can i say :thumbup:

I

I have meet SO many great people because of them

Man that hit a nerv. I think I have one friend from high school that I still talk to. But I can count at least 20 datto friends that I can't get rid of. :lol:

bre510 is one of them. We don't get to see each other much but when we do it's always good times.

The MSA nat's last weekend was a blast I ran into a bunch of friends that I only get to see once or twice a year. But I have to say if you need a favor your datto boys will be there to help.

LGGP026-1.jpg

Here is a good example of the datto bond. This was one of my students from the MSA driving school. His fuel pump went out. So we went all over town and found one that would work and put that bad boy in and got him up and running. We worked on that thing until 8:00P.M. on Saturday night. when we finished he took us out for dinner. Then I ran into him the next day at the show I think we made a datto friend for life.

Edited by datrod