Age you bought your first Dat, and age you are now.

In 1989 I was a young soldier at Fort Dix, NJ without a car. Another soldier gave me a 1976 Datsun coupe (do not remember what model) that had major wiring issues - the key would turn nothing on - and I kept it for about three yours before I called a little used car lot near the Vincentown Diner and offered it to them for $100. They counter-offered me $75 and I took it.

Really my '80 510 would be the first Datsun I've ever owned.

For the first thirteen years I drove nothing but American cars and most of those were Darts or Valiants (slant sixes in all of 'em) or Falcons or Comets (also all sixes) though I owned an '80 Camaro for nine years (pic), had a '55 Pontiac and others.

dc.jpg

In early 2000 my wife needed a cheap car so I bought her a 1987 Chevy Nova (Toyota Corolla with a Chevy emblem). We liked that so later we got her a '93 Sentra, then a '91 Corolla wagon and finally in 2004 a super cherry '87 Maxima (pic) that she had for four years until she pulled out in front of a '93 3/4 Chevy pulling a load of scrap iron :(.

scan0014.jpg

I used to would not even consider owning anything but American but now I have a lot of respect for Nissans and Toys.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad had a '67 520 he bought new and I learned to drive a stick in that when I got my license in '68.

Then my Mom got a '69 510 that I learned how to drift in. :)

Dad traded in the 520 for a '71 521 that I drove to Jr. college. I got drafted in '72 and my brother got it and drove it until a few years a go and he got a new Frontier.

I was 21 when I bought my 620 new in '73 for $1950.00, with a Barden bumper for an extra $100. Been driving it for 36 years and I'm going to be 57 next month.

After I fixed it up last year, I realized that it will probably run for another 36 years, but I may not.

Bought my first Datsun, a 78 620 in 2002 at age 22.

620datsun.jpg

Bought my first 510, a wagon, in 2004.

5101a.jpg

wagonautox3e.jpg

Bought the second wagon in 2005, had two at once!

beater5101.jpg

Sold the race wagon, drove the Miata for a while, then picked up the orange rally 510 I have now in 2007. It was black and bent in the rear control arm at the time.

510beginning.jpg

And this is the 521 pickup with 80k original I ended up selling on ebay to a nice fellow who drove it back down to California. Really really wish I would have kept her. Damn hindsight.

521beauty.jpg

And then I couldn't resist dragging home a nice 411 that needed a LOT of restoring. Finally realized that and sold her to a restorer.

411i.jpg

And then there's technically the donor 69 2 door 510 that I owned for a week while cutting up to get spare parts for the good rally car:

donor510.jpg

After that it's just the black 620 and the 720 4x4 in the avatar. And now it's 2009 and I'm 29. Egads! Foot in the grave!!!

Edited by HRH

My father gave me a datsun srl311 when I was 6.

It was in crappy condition and we were hoping we could restore it by the time I turned 15, so I would have something to drive.

It ended up being junked by our landlord, great people...

Last year I received a 1974 620 longbed.

That started with an 80's kawasaki bayou 4-wheeler p-o-s.

Which I traded along with a couple more dollars for an 81' ford f100 with a 302.

( another p-o-s)

Hell with that thing..

Sold it off for 9 bucks and bought the Datsun.

Best decision I've ever made when it comes to vehicles.

I'm 16 now and still haven't gone to get my license, I know, stupid of me, but at least I have a ride for when I do.

I was 18 or 19, got a '72 1200 sedan for 300.00

drove it for 4 to 6 years

sold it to a buddy of mine for 50.00

he drove it for 2 or 3 years and transfered powerrtrain to a coupe body

In 2005 he gave it back to me.

I'm 44 now

had a 2dr 510 and a goon in between all that

• 2 months later...

Bought my first 510 at age 19 and I am now 41. I am currently on my 4th 510.

At one time I had Three Roadsters, a 510 Wagon, 69 510 2DR, 72 510 2DR and a 70 520 Pick Up in my back yard. Thanks to the City of San Diego, I had to get rid of all of them but my current 72.

Bought my first one for only $150! She wanted $250 and yes, it ran!