Datsuns on the road!!!

Guest jaimesix

zetozeto99, I notice that your car is a non California car due to the Air Induction System. It's an emissions control device. That's that 'box' that contains reed valves on the air cleaner that connects through piping to the exhaust manifold. California 810's don't have that.

2dsr5ma.jpgorp5ef.jpg

Edited by HP11
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha... cool pix, Jaime!

AweEEssSSOOoOmMmMeEeEE!!! great pixes!! great time!! oh, and :blink: after i replace the blown head gasket :eek: popped on the way home from my gal's place later that night :lol: i'll be ready for more cruising, hanging out and talking shop in any parking lot in any weather any time!

cheers

What??? That sucks! Hopefully you get that squared away soon...

zetozeto99, I notice that your car is a non California car due to the Air Induction System. It's an emissions control device. That's that 'box' that contains reed valves on the air cleaner that connects through piping to the exhaust manifold. California 810's don't have that.

2dsr5ma.jpgorp5ef.jpg

Never noticed that until now... good eye, Stephen. Thanks for pointing that out. I always assumed my car was a Cali car... I'll have to do some more investigation. I would think that a non-Cali car would do without all the extra reeds and hoses for emissions... :confused: Are there any pros or cons?

Edited by zetozeto99
Never noticed that until now... good eye, Stephen. Thanks for pointing that out. I always assumed my car was a Cali car... I'll have to do some more investigation. I would think that a non-Cali car would do without all the extra reeds and hoses for emissions... :confused: Are there any pros or cons?
No experience with the AIS so I'm not really sure but I did bypass the trasmission controlled vacuum advance system which involves those two extra switches on the side of the trans and my car still passes smog but pull a little stronger in 4th and 5th, which is where there would be any effect, while getting slightly better gas mileage. I did leave the vacuum delay valve between the intake and the distributor because, without it, the advance comes on too quickly. I'd also keep the evaporative system (vacuum cannister, etc.) because that's the first thing they check. I'd like to remove it all including the exhaust port liners and the catylitic converter but unfortunately, at least for that aspect of things, I live in California. Before I got rid of my parts car in 2003, just for fun, I did remove everything smog related, recalibrated the air flow meter, and that car ran absolute circles around mine. Felt like it had 25 extra HP. Unfortunately, it would not pass smog that way. Wasn't much to look at but it always ran better than the one I kept. RIP to the Green One! Many of it's parts live on to this day in my 810.

10rkf80.jpgek17k2.jpg

2hr0u2c.jpg2mwxf6c.jpg

Edited by HP11
^ Geez! I wish I would have known you then... ^

I need that trim piece on the nose... :(

It wasn't in very good shape. Held on by two studs IIRC. I kept whatever good parts I had room for when I junked it. Somehow the pictures make the car look much better than it really did. The sad part is that I was there the day that Ecology crushed it.

Guest jaimesix
so same time same place this sunday?

why dont we head over to the show at nicks afterwards?

I do not think we are going to go there these Sunday. Sliding Creep's car is decomissioned momentarily. I will be working on my 610. Let's see what the crowd says, when would it be cool to have a second meet??

Let'ts work it out.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
Haha... cool pix, Jaime!

What??? That sucks! Hopefully you get that squared away soon...

Zeto. Glad you liked the pictures. Similar to yours, perhaps different angles. The photo of the frozen Datsun fans is unique, you were one of the frozen ones, you could not take the photo yourself:)

About yopur 810. Your 810 might not be California edition, but if it has CA license plates, some form of emissions code it must have. Non CA cars registered in CA, from what I know, pay at time of registration an extra fee. Whomever brought your car to California paid that fee, and my believe is that your car will be subjected to the smog standards that it was built for ( state that is.)

So if you have a federal car ( at some point, Nissan/Datsun had CA cars and Federal cars, federal menaing anyhting but California, because for a while CA was the only state demanding a different standard.), although now registered in CA, at time of registration in CA, the DMV computer posts your car, emissions wise as a federal emissions standard car. It will be smogged against a DMV computer, and upon entering your car numbers ( license plate and VIN # ) the DMV computer will immediately display your car standards, which should be, Federal ( or from a particular state, if there was more than the 1st 2 standards in existence, which were CA and Federal Emissions standards.) Reason being is that your car's equipment is non CA, so there is no way the CA DMV can make it comply with CA standards for a Datsun 810 CA. It can only comply to a Datsun 810 non CA standards.

In your Haynes manual, Nissan manual, or in a Chiltons Import Car Repair Manual for the year in question ( 1979 ), you will be able to see , visually, and with explanation, the difference between the federal emissions package and the California package. There is also a Canadian package.

On My former B210, which was not exempted, I remember having seen the difference between federal emissions and CA emissions standards and related equipment.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

well im cool with another meet...i dont see why not but sliding creep will of course be missed. i guess next week would be better. my car should be squared off with the igniton and sliding creep should be done as well. and plus gives more people more time to invest tlc for there datsuns!

Zeto. Glad you liked the pictures. Similar to yours, perhaps different angles. The photo of the frozen Datsun fans is unique, you were one of the frozen ones, you could not take the photo yourself:)

About yopur 810. Your 810 might not be California edition, but if it has CA license plates, some form of emissions code it must have. Non CA cars registered in CA, from what I know, pay at time of registration an extra fee. Whomever brought your car to California paid that fee, and my believe is that your car will be subjected to the smog standards that it was built for ( state that is.)

So if you have a federal car ( at some point, Nissan/Datsun had CA cars and Federal cars, federal menaing anyhting but California, because for a while CA was the only state demanding a different standard.), although now registered in CA, at time of registration in CA, the DMV computer posts your car, emissions wise as a federal emissions standard car. It will be smogged against a DMV computer, and upon entering your car numbers ( license plate and VIN # ) the DMV computer will immediately display your car standards, which should be, Federal ( or from a particular state, if there was more than the 1st 2 standards in existence, which were CA and Federal Emissions standards.) Reason being is that your car's equipment is non CA, so there is no way the CA DMV can make it comply with CA standards for a Datsun 810 CA. It can only comply to a Datsun 810 non CA standards.

In your Haynes manual, Nissan manual, or in a Chiltons Import Car Repair Manual for the year in question ( 1979 ), you will be able to see , visually, and with explanation, the difference between the federal emissions package and the California package. There is also a Canadian package.

On My former B210, which was not exempted, I remember having seen the difference between federal emissions and CA emissions standards and related equipment.

Thanks for the insight... :)

As far as meeting this Sunday? Probably not. I will be busy with some things this weekend. I was wondering what everyone thought of maybe changing the day if we continue our little meets? I think Friday nights would be more ideal but of-course I am just one person.... what do you guys think?

Guest jaimesix

Yes Zeto, about this Sunday, I think some members need to work things out.

Let's try to make it in a couple weeks. Perhaps next Sunday, let's see. About Fridays, I am open to anything. We can combine too, having a meet on a Sunday one week, a Friday the next, what works best with the pack.

Cool, let's work things out.

Guest jaimesix
well im cool with another meet...i dont see why not but sliding creep will of course be missed. i guess next week would be better. my car should be squared off with the igniton and sliding creep should be done as well. and plus gives more people more time to invest tlc for there datsuns!

With two Datsuns out of the scene ( Zetozeto and SlidingCreep ), and since they are 2 of the founders of this Datsun gathering, let's wait a few days.

A Datsun meet w/o them would not be the same. Both the 810 and the 610 are fine examples of what a dime plus is all about!

Jaime.____________________________________________________

don't you guys worry 'bout waiting on me! i've got some bigger fish to fry! block was cracked through the water jackets 'tween 2 and 3 on the int/exh side. looks like the damage was there for quite some time causing water to get into the threads and literally fuse the head-bolt to the bottom end by rusting it solid! i'm just gonna replace the engine. there's a 1/2 off weekend commin' up at the boneyards around me so's i can get a couple useable motors and sort it from there. i'd still like to go when you guys have another meet:D

cheers

Guest jaimesix
honestly im cool with fridays!

Cool. Fridays sounds like a good day. We can combine, Sundays, Fridays sounds cool.

I have every other Friday off, so I hope to make it to the next get together.

Jaime, I'm headed to Nick's this Sunday. I'm hoping you can come by. If not, I'll see you at Sears :)

Nicks? What is that about? I never heard of it. :confused:

don't you guys worry 'bout waiting on me! i've got some bigger fish to fry! block was cracked through the water jackets 'tween 2 and 3 on the int/exh side. looks like the damage was there for quite some time causing water to get into the threads and literally fuse the head-bolt to the bottom end by rusting it solid! i'm just gonna replace the engine. there's a 1/2 off weekend commin' up at the boneyards around me so's i can get a couple useable motors and sort it from there. i'd still like to go when you guys have another meet:D

cheers

Too bad to learn about your engine blowup. I am going to a junk yard early tomorrow, I Moisabamf told me there is a 710 in a yard, I need body parts. Some 710s have L18 engines ( like mine ) and others, the latest ones ( 76/78 ) have L20B engines.

I will post any finings tomorrow evening. I know the green grenade will be back on the road in no time.

Keep us posted.

cheers

Sorry to hear, Dude... if you need a hand with anything let me know.

How's about a meet next Friday night, everyone?

like i says ba-fore... datsun folks are the best folks in the universe! (mopar friends notwithstanding, are great too of course). i appreciate the offers fellas! i'm looking at what it'd take to laser the broken bolt out and mebee get the block welded, decked drilled and tapped for later use! keep 'em fingers crossed. but, i will definately be looking for another useable bottom end. i'll post up in the wanteds for sure! thanks again!

cheers

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

I went by the Junk Yard, at Stanton. Pick Your Parts. ( thanks for the heads up Moisabamf )

It was a 2 door , like Jrbrd's. I wanted to get the tail lamps off, but those were glued, difficult to get them out. Since I did not really need them, I left them there for whom ever really does. My tail lights are different.

Jrbrd, I noticed you have some trim missing under one of your tailights, is that right?, or do you have it at home? Let me know.

I also got the console, let me know if you want it. It is not like mine, so I assume it changed later on, because it is a factory japanese made Datsun console. It matches and fits, it is probably what your car had before it was gone.

I also got myself a clock, my car has one, but it is not working, so I plan to have this one serviced, so then I open the dash board only once, to replace it.

The fenders on that car were dented bad, but repairable. Somebody took the strut assemblies before I arrived. Grille was gone too. It had "Park Bench" bumpers. I sat on them a couple times to have a rest and drink some gatorade. I can imagine the Park Bench bumpers were usefull when out with the family .

No other Datsuns except for a couple 300ZXs and Sentras ( Nissans ) Before leaving, I saw how the caterpillar made chips out of a Nissan Sentra. It was sad to see how the big machine destroyed this Nissan like a crocodile feasting on an unsuspencting animal approaching the river for some water.

It still had tail lights and parts. The owner of the junk yard could make some money keeping all those parts. On line he could have a lense shop for the world!

As usual, I got myself a good stash of Datsun nuts, bolts and screws that are milimetric, a must for any Datsun enthusiast!

Sliding Creep, the 710 is a 76. It has an L20B engine. Someone took the timming chain cover, and the valve cover. The rest is in there. The block is fine.

If you decide to go there, it is a sky blue 710, slightly to the left of the entrance gate, right in front of the tall 2 story building that is located to the left of the entrance gate.

Jaime.__________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

Jrbrd, Zerow, check your yahoo mail boxes, I sent photos of the items in question.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Hi.

I went by the Junk Yard, at Stanton. Pick Your Parts. ( thanks for the heads up Moisabamf )

It was a 2 door , like Jrbrd's. I wanted to get the tail lamps off, but those were glued, difficult to get them out. Since I did not really need them, I left them there for whom ever really does. My tail lights are different.

Jrbrd, I noticed you have some trim missing under one of your tailights, is that right?, or do you have it at home? Let me know.

I also got the console, let me know if you want it. It is not like mine, so I assume it changed later on, because it is a factory japanese made Datsun console. It matches and fits, it is probably what your car had before it was gone.

I also got myself a clock, my car has one, but it is not working, so I plan to have this one serviced, so then I open the dash board only once, to replace it.

The fenders on that car were dented bad, but repairable. Somebody took the strut assemblies before I arrived. Grille was gone too. It had "Park Bench" bumpers. I sat on them a couple times to have a rest and drink some gatorade. I can imagine the Park Bench bumpers were usefull when out with the family .

No other Datsuns except for a couple 300ZXs and Sentras ( Nissans ) Before leaving, I saw how the caterpillar made chips out of a Nissan Sentra. It was sad to see how the big machine destroyed this Nissan like a crocodile feasting on an unsuspencting animal approaching the river for some water.

It still had tail lights and parts. The owner of the junk yard could make some money keeping all those parts. On line he could have a lense shop for the world!

As usual, I got myself a good stash of Datsun nuts, bolts and screws that are milimetric, a must for any Datsun enthusiast!

Sliding Creep, the 710 is a 76. It has an L20B engine. Someone took the timming chain cover, and the valve cover. The rest is in there. The block is fine.

If you decide to go there, it is a sky blue 710, slightly to the left of the entrance gate, right in front of the tall 2 story building that is located to the left of the entrance gate.

Jaime.__________________________________________________

Jrbrd, Zerow, check your yahoo mail boxes, I sent photos of the items in question.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Checked pics - Just what the doctor ordered.

THANK YOU!!!

Guest jaimesix
Checked pics - Just what the doctor ordered.

THANK YOU!!!

Right on dude.

That is what the Datsun friends do!!!!

Jaime._______________________________________________________