Wood 510 wagon

My oldest daughter has an upcoming gran-prix wooden car race next week at church so we teamed up to design it. She said.."dad lets make it look like your green car" so thats what we did :D Gonna add a few details tomorrow as soon as the clear dries. And yes it has blue & purple flake :cool:

woodwagon.jpg

woodwagon3.jpg

woodwagon4.jpg

I think i have her convinced that Datsun's are the koolest vehicles ever:lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's usually a burr on the backside of the axle(nail) head....chuck it into a drill and spin it against a file. Polish the axle contact point with the finest grit you have, ...make it shine like polished aluminum!

Chuck the tires into the drill with a screw/nut......while you spin them, file/sand a crown(very subtle is just fine) into them to lessen the contact point.....also helps to compensate for untrue alignment. You can hit them with really fine grit too to try to get them to shine back up. While you're at it.....make sure there's no burr on the inside lip of the tire...polish the inside lips so they won't drag on the guide rail.

Get a digital scale.....drill holes and hot glue fishing weights into the underside until it's really close to the weight limit. I had an extra hole or two for the smallest weights so I could add some extra if it was a bit light. Take a pocket knife with you so you can either dig out a weight or whittle some wood off the bottom if it's over.

.....uuummmm......yes, my kid's won.........why do you ask?? :) It's not about the winning......it's about making the other kids cry!!! :) j/k!!!!!!!! It's just really nice if your own kid isn't the slowest one....that's a hard one to take!! Mine were the slowest the first year cause I didn't know you could add weight......so the next year...I over compensated a bit!!! :)

Edited by mklotz70

So true Mike! I helped my nephew build one a few years ago, I polished the shafts and cleaned up the holes in the wheels. He won a couple of heats, but ended up coming in 3rd in the end.

Looks good Mark, these things are a lotta fun if the car does well, and a lot of fun to build with the kids.

Looks sweet. Listen to the tips that Mike gave. The graphite grease is the real trick.

On the one that my dad and I built we drilled a few deep 3/4" holes in the bottom and filled them with lead shot. We then used plastic plugs to hold the shot in. This made is very easy to change the weight. My favorite one that we made was a modeled after a sprint car, complete with roll cage made from welding rod.

Nice! Put all your extra weight high in the tail- increases the potential energy, which gets converted to kinetic energy by gravity, and it will come on strong in the last third of the track.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Tedman
grammer
Nice! Put all your extra weight high in the tail- increases the potential energy, which gets converted to kinetic energy by gravity, and it will come on strong in the last third of the track.

:thumbsup:

High or low, it still moves the same vertical distance ;)

Yup - fluid lube will slow it down, so graphite is a good idea.