uhm... dumb question

tdaaj

so i got a 620 and uh i want it to handle like a sports car:lol:

seriously though, its a 78/disc brake truck. i noticed tonight while dodging a deer i'd like better stopping power:eek:. any body know of any front brake upgrades.

trucks been sitting all winter so i offered to run to the store for the wifey and opened the throtle up a bit, gotta get that datsun itch itched ya know. i think i'm gonna get the heater ducts fixed next.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i got a 620 and uh i want it to handle like a sports car:lol:

seriously though, its a 78/disc brake truck. i noticed tonight while dodging a deer i'd like better stopping power:eek:. any body know of any front brake upgrades.

trucks been sitting all winter so i offered to run to the store for the wifey and opened the throtle up a bit, gotta get that datsun itch itched ya know. i think i'm gonna get the heater ducts fixed next.

the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

step one. lower it.

step 2. coil overs

step 3. hardbody front brakes

step 4. rear disk brakes.

Ted - there's a sweet complete bolt on upgrade for your truck. 2wd hardbody V6 spindles along with 4x4 2 piston calipers and 4x4 rotors. The 4x4 rotors are bigger diameter. So, larger rotor diameter, 2 piston caliper and vented rotor! Lots of upgrade using factory parts.

the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. there was sarcasm meant

step one. lower it. its a work truck, i haul things

step 2. coil overs doable and had thought about it

step 3. hardbody front brakes think i'm gonna shoot for it

step 4. rear disk brakes.

not sure but maybe

Don't forget to keep your 620 hubs for when you do your NL brakes :)

They're right about how simple it is. Pop the upper/lower balljoints and tierod end and remove the brake line from the frame end. You don't need to pull the calipers or any....just the ball joints. It will take you longer to bleed the brakes after you get them swapped! :)

Ted - there's a sweet complete bolt on upgrade for your truck. 2wd hardbody V6 spindles along with 4x4 2 piston calipers and 4x4 rotors. The 4x4 rotors are bigger diameter. So, larger rotor diameter, 2 piston caliper and vented rotor! Lots of upgrade using factory parts.

Rotors are NOT from the 4x4. You need the rotors from a 2wd v-6 truck. ONLY the calipers can be used from the 4x4 truck/pathfinder. Everything else is from 2wd.

Rear discs:

Stop about the same but are fade resistant. Like when is that a problem? They are lighter, look cooler, easier to change pads, self adjusting.

Pre '78s??? had sway bars get one.

Lower the front slightly nothing drastic just withing reason. Lower the back so level with the front. ANY lowering will lower the center of gravity and prevent body roll in corners.

New shocks. Good ones firm the ride, reduce bottoming out and body roll.

Alloy rims to reduce un-sprung weight so wheels can quickly follow the road contours. Perhaps 16s, 15s for sure to reduce side wall height and reduce flexing.

I had a lowered 620 that handled like it was on rails thanks to stiffer Nismo torsion bars and a lowering block in the rear. The one thing you will really want to do it get a steering quickener from jegs/summit, or put in a quicker ratio steering box. I know the upgrade for 510s is to use a 210 steering box for quicker ratio.

However, with a tighter ratio and the weight up front, you might want to add power steering. Sucks a little power, but a must for slow turns.

I used to race my hardbody back before I had the Miata and the 510:

bodyroll.jpg

They were from nismoparts.com that dealer over on the west side of the state. They used to have them, don't know if they still do. 4x4parts.com in Florida had them also, but wanted twice as much. Almost bought them too before I found the others.

They are made by a torsion bar company (can't remember who, want to say it started with a G or was rancho or something, not gabriel) but they are bought in bundles of 50 or more, so unless you're a shop or online business, it's not cost effective. They're not a regular production run thing, or at least weren't at the time. That was about 6 years ago. Damn, didn't seem like that long ago.

EDIT: Did some digging. The company that actually made the "Nismo" torsion bars is Sway-a-Way. http://www.swayaway.com I don't see an application for 620s there on the online, but they probably still make them in limited runs. Just checked 4x4parts.com and they have 720 back to 83.5 torsion bars but nothing for 620s. I would say maybe contact Sway a Way for a part number for the 620s.

Edited by HRH
but will a 2wd pathfinder work?

I can't remember if they do or not. I hesitate to say yes, only because all the 2wd pathy's were basically 4wds without front axles.....so I'm not positive the spindles were the same. I know that Steve of ZTherapy grafted a 2wd front frame clip into his pathy to be able to lower....because of the whole 4wd thing.

You might look up a company selling dropped spindles.....if they list the same part number for the truck as the 2wd pathfinder....then yes :)

For a stock steering system the p/s box from a late '70s 280zx (non-rack and pinion) can be made to work. The 620 Pittman arm has the same splines. I had to make a custom rag joint. (easy) Two of the box mounting bolts line up on the 620 frame and if I had had a welder could have done a much better job. The hard part is mounting a pump to the L series. Now I would have used a 720 or 280z and got rid of the mechanical fuel pump and used an electric.

Here's the box I used. The '81-'83? 200sx is visually similar and might also work.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg