Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Wayno great info. I appreciate the help and any other tips and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

What is different about the head light ground circuit that makes the dimmer light change necessary?

I will be using the 720 harness. I have 3 1980 720 harnesses 2 5 speed and 1 KC automatic, 1 1985 720 KC automatic harness for parts, 1 1985 720 KC 4x4 5 speed harness for parts, 1 1985 720 KC 4x4 harness with power windows & locks. I will use the 1980 720 KC automatic trans harness to start with. It does have the intermittitnt wipers & AC in it. I will add to this harness the electric fuel pump & the power windows.

I would like to run my stock 520 wiper motor & stock 521 gauges & 520 lighting.

The reason I am starting with the 1980 720 KC automatic wiring harness is it the least amount of smog controls, single coil, no ECU, and it has the wiring for the AC/heater that I am using. I will remove all unneeded wiring from this harness, extra headlight & smog control wiring mainley.

I plan on removing all the wiring wrapping & actually removing the unneeded wires from the harness, less bulk & confusion. I also plan on grouping the circuits together & testing each circuit & devise before rewrapping, example starting, charging, & lighting etc.

Any info you can share to make this a faster transformation would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK Charlie, Remember this, the wires on the square headlights are in differant positions in the plug on the 720 wiring harness than the round headlight 520-21 wiring harness, I am going to do the whole thing again in the next few weeks, i'll see if i want to try to document it. The headlight circut is a stand alone circut in the 720 wiring harness, it does not have a traditional ground after the headlight relay, at least this is what I beleave now. So if you interduce a ground into that circut it screws everything up, by the way, i messed up the wire colors for the high beam indicator on the post before this. The wires for the high beam indicator light on the dash in the wiring harness are red with black line that becomes red and blue line when it leaves the dash wiring harness itself at the white plug, the other is red with green line which becomes red after it leaves the dash harness threw the blue plug, neither of these wires is a ground, but they are the wires for the high beam indicator light in the dash. That is how the 720 dash is setup, and the dash lights themselfs(illumination) are setup the same way, i gave up, and just found a power source for them, I don't remember if they are on all the time or not, but if you want to be able to dim them you will have to do it a differant way than the stock 520 wiring harness way, which is to ground them in the dash/insterment cluster itself. If you look at the 720 insterment cluster dash light circut, you will see there is no comman ground, they are a little stand alone circut themselfs, I think the dash lights are tied into the rear running/park lights at a fast glance somehow. As I said before, I found the dash wiring to be the hardest part of using the 720 wiring harness in a 521, everthing else was easy because I used the 720 steering column complete, so all that stuff just plugs in, headlights, high beams, wipers, horn, 4 ways, ect. If you want your wipers to have all the modes, intermitant, slow, and fast speeds, you will need a 521 wiper motor I beleave, I have not looked at the 520 wiper motor to see if it has enough wires to have two speeds since it only has one speed stock. I hope this is of some help, as I said, i'm going to be doing this again in the next couple weeks and I will think about documenting it. wayno

• Like 1

That is what I thought looking at the wiring diagrams in my FSM. I have a 520, 1976 620, 1980 2 WD 720, & a 1985 720 2 WD Factory Service manuals. This helps a lot. Don't you love the wat the wires change color going through the plug.

I have started on the harness labeling wires & cleaning out circuits I do not need. If you can docunent what you do it would help as I am doing the same as you.

As I go through this harness I will be making notes as to what is removed & what is added & what is changed. I will actually do a colored Digram oof what I end up with I had already decided that I would just change the wire place on the headlight plugs to match the old style head lights which I will be upgrading to these:

http://classicgarage.com/he-70477b.html

I am applying for a driving job in Carlin Nevada, if I get the job it will give me a month to get my 520 road worthy. I will have to be in Carlin by the first of March.

Any way this would put me closer to you guys in Datsun Land!

Any way I got the windos seals haven't unpacked them yet. Please PM me your info so I can mail you a check. Your return address was washed out from rain.

That is what I thought looking at the wiring diagrams in my FSM. I have a 520, 1976 620, 1980 2 WD 720, & a 1985 720 2 WD Factory Service manuals. This helps a lot. Don't you love the wat the wires change color going through the plug.

I have started on the harness labeling wires & cleaning out circuits I do not need. If you can docunent what you do it would help as I am doing the same as you.

As I go through this harness I will be making notes as to what is removed & what is added & what is changed. I will actually do a colored Digram oof what I end up with I had already decided that I would just change the wire place on the headlight plugs to match the old style head lights which I will be upgrading to these:

http://classicgarage.../he-70477b.html

I am applying for a driving job in Carlin Nevada, if I get the job it will give me a month to get my 520 road worthy. I will have to be in Carlin by the first of March.

Any way this would put me closer to you guys in Datsun Land!

Any way I got the windos seals haven't unpacked them yet. Please PM me your info so I can mail you a check. Your return address was washed out from rain.

This is what is on the diningroom wall, a 1982 datsun pickup wiring diagram, and yea it is awesome that the wires change colors after a plug.

DSCN0230.jpg

I use the complete wiring harness, i use everything except the heater motor/control in the 720 harness, i get the power for the heater from the heater circut in the 720 harness, but i use the 520-21 stand alone mini harness, all you need is a power wire for the heater, simple. If you know which 2 wires to switch then the headlights are no problem. Keep in mind that I use the complete stock steering column in the 520-21 because I can just plug all the column electricals in and they work the frist time, when I tried/did use the column with the 521 harness, it took hours just to figure out the lights alone, then more time for the wipers and i was unable to get the delay to work. As I said before, if you put a 521 wiper motor in your 520, you will have the two speeds and the delay, and I can tell you which wires go together so you don't smoke the delay electrical units like i did. The dash/instruments are tough, i had to do it a wire at a time once I figured out if it could be grounded, as i recall the fuel and temp gauges were normal, as were the alt. and oil lights, the high beam indicator and the dash lights themselves were not. the seat belt and ebrake lights are add ons, I put two lights in the instrument face, you can see them in the photo, one is a glow plug timer light, the other is the ebrake light.DSCN0231.jpg

• Like 1

Wayno how did you get the diagram on your wall that large?

I will be using the the 720 column wire & switches actually everything electric will be the 720 except the lighting & gauges. I am guessing you used the 720 dome light & wiring. I will also be using that circuit with the time delay out of a king cab 720. I really enjoy wiring. From what I can tell not 100% positive but I think that the grounding is different on the dash & lighting circuits partially due to more relays being used in the 720. I will be trying to adapt the 720 wiper motor unless you advise to use the 521 instead because it is easyer.

I will be using everything I can from the 720. harnesses. If it gets to time consuming I will just make a new harness out of the old.

If you would like a PDF file of the 520, 1976 620, 1980 720, 1985 720 wiring diagrams I will make copys for you the 1980 is in color.

40 pieces of paper make that wiring diagram, it's barrowed from the kid down the street, he figured out how to get his computer to spit the thing out in pieces, then he taped it together, then he had it laminated. There is just one rule to use it, I can't make one mark on it. This diagram is in color also. You say your not going to use the 720 lighting? Your going to use the 520 headlight circut? My work truck has the stock wiring harness, I put a tilt 720 column in the truck, it took about 10 hours to intigrate the 720 light switch into the 521 harness, but I finnaly did it. Or did you mean the interior lighting? I would use the 521 wiper motor, I have it figured out, it works great. You will need both ends to the 521 wiper motor wiring plug, that way you put the 720 wires into the 521 plastic plug, then you just plug it into the wiper motor, it looks stock. Here are a couple photos:lol: of the plug, when you need the exact wire to wire connections, let me know and i will go write it down, 720 wire to 521 wire.

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

• Like 2

I will be using the 720 lighting circuits & switches the only 520 parts will be the lights, head & tail light assemblies. I will be usin the King cab dome light that swings down for use as a cargo light. It is also on a timed delay that turns it off after a certain length of time.

On the dash light dimmer does the problem seam to be with the ground to the lights?

Just off the plane fron signapore.

DSC01105.jpg

• Like 1

I am not sure what the "dash light dimmer" is, high beam indicator light? If that is what your talking about, look at the wiring diagrams of a 720, you will see there is no ground after the relay in the circut, but the high beam indicator is after the relay and seems to be tied into the left highbeam headlamps, so if you try to use the stock 520-21 instrument panel light/wiring you will be adding a ground to the circut because that is how the 520-21 gauges/wiring works, by grounding the light bulb to show the highbeams are on. I know if the stock indicator light is used in the instruments, the headlights don't work right anymore. As I said in a previous post, there are two wires in the dash wiring harness, red with black line and red with green line, go to radioshack and get a light with a plastic holder that has two wires about the same size as the high beam indicator hole, connect them to the mentioned wires, and stick it in the hole for the highbeam light, thats what i did and it works. wayno

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have made some progress I spent the last week working on a 1984 720 tilt column install. I hope to finish it tomorrow. I have been working on the wiring. I decided to run a 1980 720 2WD king cab automatic wiring harness. I have the wiring done for the 520 instrument cluster to the 720 harness. 2 wires to shorten up tomorrow when I get some connectors and the instrument cluster will be plug and play. I bench tested all my work with a multi meter first and then I hooked up individual circuits to a 12volt power supply and tested each with power. No smoke so far.

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01163.jpg

Wiring takes a lot of time. It is definitely something you cannot hurry.

A big thanks to Wayno for his imput on this mod.

DSC01158.jpg

Just some FYI...for those that don't know...... the little holes with slots behind the fuel and water temp gauges are the trim pots. You can adjust the upper and lower positions of the gauges with them. I think the factory manual has the details of how to do it.

• Like 1

We do wiring entirely differant Charlie, you give it thought and plan, I put the dash near its mount and figure it out one wire at a time, running back and forth between the wiring diagram on the wall in the house and the wiring harness in the truck, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: back and forth for hours till I get it, or get tired of doing it and give up for the day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope it goes as planned. Great job. wayno

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I put about a weeks worth of work into a 1985 720 tilt column that I decided I did not like after it was modded to fit. I have a couple more things to do to a 1980 720 column that when I am done will have been shortened by 7" and will plug into my wiring harness & provide 2 speed intermittent wipers. Working on modding the column to take my 66 wheel & horn button. Also working on bending up brake & fuel lines. I did order a pair of these,

Hella7inchconversionheadlamp.jpg

Hella 7" Round Headlamp Conversion with HB2 55w / 60w Bulb HE-70477B Retail price: $63.97 classicgarage.com

should be here tomorrow.

I will finish all the column & pedal assemblies this week. Plans are to pull the cab on Friday and finish welding grinding filling primer & paint engine compartment, inside & bottom of cab.

What didn't you like Charlie? The non tilt is way easier to mount, it uses the stock mount without any mods. Does your tilt look like this, with the cover close to the dash?

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

This is the non tilt column without the bottom cover yet, but you get the idea of how it mounts. wayno

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Wayno, I am a large sized person and I needed the tilt to go up instead of down to get the wheel off my legs & belly. You know me Wayno I can not do things the easy way. I have raised my column 1/2" where it bolts to the dash, I am trying to get another 1/2" out of it to compensate for the 7" that I shortened my stock 1980 column. Your truck is looking good. Wish mine was KC'ed.

Waynos520KCModded.jpg

The white line is where I notched mine out to tuck it up closer to the dash with the shortened column. I have to remove the plastic, steering wheel, & turn signal switch to remove my instrument cluster.

I worked on my wiring all day today. The 1980 720 automatic harness that I am using was chopped up. I am going through it 1 wire at a time and making sure to repair any butchered wires. I removed the extra high beam sockets & wires. All the motor wires were cut out of it so I will replace only what I need & remove any of the left over wiring. Less chance of problems down the road.

It is looking like I will break in my motor & trans driving it to Carlin Nevada for a driving job in the next month or so.