521 or 620??? Which would you keep??

Justin

So it has come time for me to sell one of my datsuns.

I'm not happy about it and I can't decide which one to keep.

("Sell 'em both!!" I'm told)

I didn't paint the flames on the 620 either, but I do plan on repainting the 521

(with cooler wheel-well flames:D)

I don't have to smog either one, so that's not really a factor,

DSCN0116.jpg

The 521 needs more work, but I tend to like it slightly more cause of the "rarity" (although, come to think of it, I don't really see 620's anymore either- Whats with that??)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Flames shouldn't be the determining factor I dont think. You should ask yourself, what are my plans for the truck I choose? Long term, short term, restore? primer and drive? Any sentimental value there? Granted, flames do kinda suck, but personally, I would go with the one that has the least amount of rust. I HATE rust. Or the one that's more straight, maybe whichever one easiest to put back together. Trust your sense of personal taste and instinct. Both trucks are cool in different ways, so I can see why you'd have a hard time deciding, good luck.

No one is really making me sell them, but I need the money pretty danged bad.

Neither truck is rusty (they both have perfect floors, and no real surface rust even)

The 521 needs more work, but I'm not hugely concerned with that (It's a labor of love! Ha! Thats what I keep telling myself)

As far as "what's wrong with the 620", it has a slow brake master cylinder leak, no glovebox (the package tray is fine) no speedometer cable, and I'm pretty sure it needs a new timing chain.

Another "determining factor" was I just picked up a (free!!) camper shell from craigslist, and I have to say it looks much better on the 521 than the 620.

When I do make up my mind, I'll post it in the "for sale" section.

I am a 620 guy, but i would probly off the 620. Because if you ever decide to get another 620 they are a bit easy to find. The 521 and the 520s are getting harde to find in decent shape...That is my opinion...It looks like the 521 is in decent shape....good luck!

73 620 good stuff:

-no smog!!

-5 speed

-weber carb

-3rd brakelight

-new (re: uncracked) windshield

-4" lowering blocks

-new driveshaft carrier bearing (

-"full view" inside rearview mirror

Bad stuff:

-slow brake leak

-no speedo cable

-needs new clutch bearing (high pitched whine/grinding noise at high speeds/rpms)

-needs driveshaft to trans seal (leaks like clockwork now)

-no bed hooks!!

-a few dings and dents

-cracked instruement cluster

-incorrect lock on passenger side

DSCN0244.jpg (the front-end isn't as low now, in this pic the shocks were bottomed out; smooth ride!:rolleyes:)

It does have some sentimental value, 'cause it's the machine that really taught me how to work on cars, but my first Datsun was a 521 (longbed!! I would kill to own that rare truck again!!) and the 521 is the truck that gave me "datsun fever"; eventually I would like to get a 620 longbed, that will be my "full custom" vent windowed 620 w/a single headlight grill....

(lol, anyone want to trade??)

All the things I have listed I will probably not mention in the craigslist ad. I will just say that it is a "fun project truck"; and I'm thinking of asking $1500 for it, but I might change a few things on it before I actaully list it

(mainly the wheels and E.I., but I might swap the '79 Z trans/driveshaft into the 521 also)

Here's a current pic of the 521, forgive the primer spots covering my shoddy bodywork-

DSCN0935.jpg

I'm loving this camper shell, the only problem (as you can see) is the drivers side back glass (the section that doesn't move) is bashed out... And I'm wondering how "fixable" it will be for a glass shop (custom cut piece of glass with "special" installation, anybody have any idea how much that will cost?)

Hmmm... I'm wondering if I should drop the 4-speed back in the 620 now, I'm thinking yes? But will I be able to ask as much for it...?

Oh yes, I will definately keep the stocks on the 521

(it's funny that everyone has mentioned that, because the 'stocks' came on the 620, but they look SOOO much better on the 521!)

And I guess tomorrow my day will most likely be spent swapping parts over... I would say "I hope the rain lets up," but with this drought we are in I guess I won't mind getting soaked to the bone, we need the rain!!!

(if for no other reason to keep you "So-Cal desert folks alive:lol:)

The 521 has a 77-79 200zx dogleg, but with the starter stripped the way it is I will be changing over to the Z 5-speed and corresponding driveshaft anyway-

The one problem I see is that the 521 also has a one-piece driveshaft, which is too long to fit the Z trans. I have an extra rear driveshaft, but the yokes/knuckles(?) are SHOT on it so it can't be run... I may end up having to swap in the dogleg in the 620 for this reason, unless I can repair the messed up yoke...

Here is my 2cents worth...:D

Keep the 521. It looks pretty solid. I LOVE the camper shell! I learned to drive in a 1972 Ford Courier with a topper like that, only it had a big red stripe on the side of it. Way groovy!

The 620 should sell easy. I think that the "no hooks" thing on the bed may actually end up being a "plus" for some buyers...sell it as partially shaved...ready for body work to be finished.

Call it a "Custom Datsun":cool:

It is all about that 521! I don't know if you long time owners have noticed, but in the short 2 years I've owned my 521, it seems more and more people are getting psyched about the them. I mean folks have always dug 521's, but it just seems more and more people are digging them. Which is great!

I few years ago you may have got more votes for the 620!

It is also funny how many folks are psyched about the camper shell. I couldn't wait to take mine off, it was the first thing I did when I got home with it. But who knows, things come back around, and I just may be itching to put it back on sooner than later!