Vg30et 521

Hyphy

I don't plan on working up anything with it. It was years ago that 'aholic and I were at the scrapyard looking at the BOX IN A ZX. But, hey....what do I care....let's go with it......all z's and zx's have rack and pinion.....it's not like it affects my life in anyway.....other than the fact that I should have known better than to post. I really need to go back to my hole now. :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't plan on working up anything with it. It was years ago that 'aholic and I were at the scrapyard looking at the BOX IN A ZX. But, hey....what do I care....let's go with it......all z's and zx's have rack and pinion.....it's not like it affects my life in anyway.....other than the fact that I should have known better than to post. I really need to go back to my hole now. :)

Don't be that way Mike :-/

They do use a power steering gear box, just on top of a rack and pinion. Maybe that's what you saw and are referring to?

I think i remember seeing a power stering box on the 720 i pulled the hub assembly from. Tho it was likely on the outside of the frame rail :(

Wonder if any of the other trucks had a gear box that would work...Its that or source new steering components. Id rather not have that stuff fail on me at speed and ruin all my work.

Don't be that way Mike :-/

They do use a power steering gear box, just on top of a rack and pinion. Maybe that's what you saw and are referring to?

The only reason for my input to begin with was because he was looking for a power steering option and the zx we looked at had a saginaw style box with a pitman arm connected to a crosslink and tierod ends. The box was behind the axle, inside the frame rail with the pitman arm to the front....so it should work when mounted inside the frame rail, in front of the trucks axle, with the pitman arm pointing backwards. Now if the box's pitman arm was connect to a rack and pinion, then that's a new one on me.

So I wasted some more time.......

http://strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/

http://strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/engine_bay.jpg

....and near the bottom of the same page......

"As you can see the waste-gate and turbo itself are very close to the gearbox. I have not had any problems with this situation, but I also intend to swap out my steering to rack and pinion power steering from a later model 280zx. This would have been much easier to do while the engine was out as you need to replace the entire cross member that the engine is mounted on. All 1982-83 280zx's (turbo and non-turbo) had power rack and pinion, or manual rack and pinion steering (most probably were power). You should be able to find a setup in the junkyard. I do not know the details for the swap, but it should be straight-forward. I do not think that the steering column must also be replaced, but I could be wrong. "

.......and like he said.....I could be wrong :) ......either way, I'm done :)

The only reason for my input to begin with was because he was looking for a power steering option and the zx we looked at had a saginaw style box with a pitman arm connected to a crosslink and tierod ends. The box was behind the axle, inside the frame rail with the pitman arm to the front....so it should work when mounted inside the frame rail, in front of the trucks axle, with the pitman arm pointing backwards. Now if the box's pitman arm was connect to a rack and pinion, then that's a new one on me.

So I wasted some more time.......

http://strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/

http://strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/engine_bay.jpg

....and near the bottom of the same page......

"As you can see the waste-gate and turbo itself are very close to the gearbox. I have not had any problems with this situation, but I also intend to swap out my steering to rack and pinion power steering from a later model 280zx. This would have been much easier to do while the engine was out as you need to replace the entire cross member that the engine is mounted on. All 1982-83 280zx's (turbo and non-turbo) had power rack and pinion, or manual rack and pinion steering (most probably were power). You should be able to find a setup in the junkyard. I do not know the details for the swap, but it should be straight-forward. I do not think that the steering column must also be replaced, but I could be wrong. "

.......and like he said.....I could be wrong :) ......either way, I'm done :)

No, I hear you Mike. I wasn't trying to knock you down or argue or anything like that. Just really believe all were rack and pinion. I could very well be wrong, odds are vs you I prob am too lol.

I looked for WAY too long for clear pics of dif year s130's, explodes, diagrams etc anything and actually found that page you did but Idk how much I trust it. I checked the Chiltons crap manual I have and nothing as well. Pretty curious to see it whether right or wrong just for my own knowledge.

It would shock me to find they used a recirculating set up. 12ish years with rack and pinion to go to recirculating for 2 years then back to rack and pinion for the next 25ish. It was the 1st 2 years a z used power steering though so maybe that explains it.

Did some searching, sent a few emails...

Got a quote for custom cv axles $800...Full custom unit I would assume given that price. Basically an entire new unit. Im thinkin I can get what I need for much less If i can find a machine shop that will shorten the axle shaft and a can just throw the z32 side on it.

As for the 5 lug up front. Was quoted $120 from a contact that would machine the 720 spindle to accept a toyota spindle and bearing assembly. Sent a reply with more detailed questions and no response yet. Also found a company in canada (nolimitcustoms.com) that sells a conversion kit that works out to about $535. Havent dug into that one yet.

Heard word back about the motor. Wont cost me much more than ive already given em and should have it ready in about 2-3 weeks.

Unbolted the bed and gas tank today, tho i cant slide tha tank out until i pull the bed off. After doin some looking and thinkin, Im leaning toward pullin everything off the frame and cleaning it up. Its got ALOT of rust all over it. The smart thing to do would be to re-run fuel and brake lines anyway. Luckily the weather is gettin nice so I can pull the bed and cab off and set em in my backyard without much concern with rain.

Also picked up a plasma cutter for work. should save alot of sweat and cutoff wheels..lol

Still need to finalize plans for the steering. Id prefer a power rack, but finding one thatll fit/work has been tricky thus far. And with that a steering column. Depending on what turns up.

Edited by Hyphy

Quick search came across unisteer.com

Custom rack for $500, not shabby...if itll work. Next will be a column thatll work well with the dash...maybe Ill just snatch the one outta my donor 300zx..we'll see. Ive gotta figure placement for the rack with the motor in so it all clears and see what kind of clearance ill have for a shaft to the rack.

• 1 month later...

I know its been a lil while since i posted any progress, and there really wasnt much to post about anyway. Works been busy and I got a lil lazy.

I decided to get on it again and unbolted the bed and gas tank. Realizing i needed to get the bedd of the frame to get the gas tank out (jack issues), I pulled it out of the garage. But i had removed the steering wheel previously so i threw it on real quick. Went to turn the wheel and the coulmn turned down and pushed the plug out of the front of the steering box.

That made a big mess and i couldnt get it back in easily....

Got the bed off and rolled the s13 subframe up behind it and took some measurements. With stock s13 wheels and tires, Id have to shorten the subframe by 5" overall to fit within the bed fenders, but no more than 8" or id rub the inner wheel wells. With the subframe being a lil shifted to one side ( diff not center within the subframe, one shaft is longer than other) Id run into clearance issues at the diff flanges at something like 3" shorter on drivers side. Tho I can trim the support back and gain another 1/2" of clearance.

I havnet decided how much im gonna cut it back just yet, but heres a lil teaser pic of some work to the bed.

Photo-0057.jpg

I have better ones I havent uploaded yet ( cuz im lazy). With that done, I should be able to fit a well sized 10" wide rim in the back, possibly more. Its not much of an increase outward, maybe 3/4", but gives me a lil extra room overall.

Yes, the front will be gettin the same treatment....at some point. Im runnin outta donor steel tho. Not many large sections of that bed that are smooth and arent spot welded to something else.

• 1 month later...
First off, ALL z's and zx's came with rack & pinion steering.

All z's did come rack and pinion, that pic there must be just a reference pic because its wrong.

Wrong. 280zx DID indeed come with a power steering box instead of R&P on '79-'81. '82-'83 were power R&P. I know because I used one in my 620. Don't beat yourself up Mike, they do exist.

Here's one from a 79. (not the one I used):

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

....and yes they do look like the P/S from an S110. The S12s are all R&P. They mount inside the frame rail and all you do is modify the bolt mounting holes and put into the 620/521 with the pittman arm reversed. If I remember I removed the 280zx arm and slipped the 620 arm into place, the spline was the same... good to go. I used the steering column from a 720 and had to make my own rag joint to mate it to the box.

Edited by datzenmike

Just reading through this thread, and wanted to ask a Q, and share a comment:

Hyphy, why are you rebuilding the engine? The VG30 will go 300k before they need a rebuild. Usually the only things that wear out are the valve seals at any earlier than that.

As for the Z steering, the 280ZX DID come with a standard gear box in the n/a cars. and FWIW it will bolt into a 510.

since my thread has been resurected.......

I dont have any new pics...im kinda lazy/forgetful like that. When im making sure i have everything i need, i forget the camera. And when i finally remember, i say fuck it..lol

First- The VG was rebuilt because I wanted that 118k back..lol and lets just say I used 'free' money. Legally I cant say anymore.

Im still not sure how im going to do the R&P. Probly just buy a custom deal. I wouldnt want my steering to go out and end up like dropsun. No offense.

The bed is almost ready for a shot of epoxy and feather fill over the body work. Everything else is seam sealed aswell.

I've made measurement after measurement for the rear subframe and decided to shorten it 6" overall (3 per side). This will give me an inch per side more ofset that the stock 240 wheels and roughly 3/4" to 1" clearance of the flare. Depends on the sidewall of the tires I run (low pros dont buldge out as much). The marks are in place and I'll likely get to cuttin next weekend. I want plenty of time in one day to get it right and not rush it.

I plan on doing a lil cutting to add clearance for the cv axles too. The sway bar will likely get a lil torching and bending to shorten it aswell. Its the stock 240 one and should be plenty thick enough. If not, I can change it later. no biggie.

Based on some research ive been doing...the 240 diff cover should swap over to the Z32 LSD unit with no issues and the nose mounts should be the same aswell. So aside from needing 5 bolt axles that are 3" shorter than stock, the S13 rear will work fine with the Z32 LSD. Also the gearing between Z31 and Z32 trannies are minimal (as best I can tell) so I should wind up with gearing very similar to the Z32 N/A 5 spd.

Z32

1st gear ratio: 3.214:1

2nd gear ratio: 1.925:1

3rd gear ratio: 1.302:1

4th gear ratio: 1.000:1

5th gear ratio: 0.752:1

Reverse gear ratio: 3.369:1

Final drive ratio: 3.692:1 Viscous coupled limited slip differential

Z31

84-86 Turbo FS5R90A (Borg Warner T5)

1st - 3.350

2nd - 2.056

3rd - 1.376

4th - 1.000

5th - .752

Reverse - 3.153

things I still have left:

Get axles

R&P and steering column

Recieve, re-assemble and mock up motor and trans.

Flare front fenders

Body work cab and fenders

fab frame to accept IRS

Source coilovers that'll mount to s13 strut mount (think i got this figured out)

strip, blast and paint/powdercoat frame.

Get Beebani's custom UCA's and new ball joints for 720 susp

Pray turbo is still good

Get new clutch

make 1 piece driveshaft

source cab and door weatherstriping

5 lug conversion on front and rear

Complete EFI fuel system (use existing z31 donor parts)

wiring---grrrrrr

Im sure theres more, but you can begin to see the daunting list ahead of me.

like i said earlier today this thing is gonna be a monster and if i remember correctly the tubo seemed to spool when you and i checked out the donor so im thinking its still good you plannin to relocate it to the passenger side for more clearence?

that would probly be a pain, but potentially the better way to go. It really depends on the steering/motor mounts. The rear subframe was designed for driver side exhaust. the sway bar is bent for it. Ill probly leave it. I can make motor mounts thatll leave clearance for the intake but refabbin the exhaust manifold and relocating everything else is not a task im willing to undertake at the moment.

Ill know for sure when i mock it up.