Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Box of parts

IMG_3827.jpg

Resurfaced, balanced, and lightened, but still oem part

IMG_3828.jpg

MOAR PARTS!!

IMG_3829.jpg

The heart. Cleaned, honed, polished crank, reconditioned and blueprinted oil pump, all kinds of yummy stuff

IMG_3830.jpg

Up-skirt view. Beefy girdle

IMG_3831.jpg

Rubbers galore

IMG_3832.jpg

As for the rest of the project....

The bed is waiting at the painters to get a single stage coat to protect the body work until final paint.

The subframe has been shortened, the frame has yet to be modified however.

Ive been basically playing single parent since the woman's been workin out of town lately.

New pics

Got a lil more assembly done. Yea I know I could have gotten more assembled by now but ive been cleaning all hardware an painting components as I go. Would have done it ahead of time, but most of the hardware and crap was with the motor. Im also waiting on additional parts to arrive. Turbo gaskets, new t-stat, etc.

Current status:

Valve covers- New gasket (removing the old one took an oven to soften the rubber). Painted Dupli-color enginge enamel 'Aluminum' with clear after sandblasting (yes i washed them thoroughly after blasting). Waiting for new gromets for the bolts before torquing em down. Original oil cap intact.

Timing cover: Scuffed and painted with Gloss black and cleared. Id like to find new grommets for these bolts aswell, rockauto does not list them.

Thermostat manifold: Blasted and painted 'Aluminum' with clear. Awaiting new T-stat. Will need new radiator cap aswell. I may decide to fab a block off plate for the block mounted fill port depending on radiator selection as most will have a filler on the radiator. Easy router work.

Intake manifold (upper and lower): Lightly blasted to clean and scuff. Painted 'Aluminum' with clear. Upper will not be torqued until mount mock up is complete.

Pulleys (crank, water pump, acc): Blasted and painted gloss black with clear. Belt contact locations lightly cleaned with scuff pad, The belt will do the rest. Need to fab a crank lock device before torquing it down and get correct size socket. Water pump pulley missing one bolt. JY find easy.

Water pump: Inspected and cleaned. No paint, it cleaned up fine and is hidden by the timing cover.

Distributor: Set in place with new o-ring to seal the hole. As the crank wasn't set to exactly TDC, it may not be set properly. That'll get checked once the crank tool is made and is set to TDC. New cap, rotor and wires will come later. New spark plugs are in already (NGK platinums I shoulda got from RockAuto cuz Napa was pricey).

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

T-stat and oil filter arrived today. Both installed. Ran around and picked up some tools and fab'd up a crank handle so i could rotate the assembly and torque the crank pulley down without the crank rotating. Removed the turbo from the exhaust manifold. Both manifolds and the heat shielding will get sand blasted and painted and the turbo cleaned. Mounted bracketry (motor mounts, alternator, power steering and flex plate/starter shield). Everything Ill need to mockup the installation.

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

Crank tool: 1/4 aluminum plate with holes for 2 flywheel bolts. A very tight fit on this stand.

IMG_3837.jpg

Having kept tabs on z31 forums and doing research, there are a bunch of things i could upgrade. Im going to have to hold off on those items however. I want to get the truck complete and running instead of a really beefy motor and no money to complete. A new turbo is just way too much at the moment, but some of the smaller supporting bits are possiblities. At some point I would like to replace/upgrade the injectors and fuel rails, but the stock ones will suffice for now. I havent decided on a solution to a gas tank yet. which also affects my fuel pump options. Swapping the OE 300zx parts was the initial idea and if the subframe will allow it, thats what id prefer with the possibility to drop in a walbro 255.

I continually have to keep focused on completion without being sidetracked by all the possiblities. This is already going to take alot to complete.

Bonvo and I were discussing the clutch and I wanted some thoughts from you guys... as you know, the flywheel has been balanced, resurfaced and lightened. Before the motor was pulled the previous owner claimed to have recently replaced the clutch, but during testing it slipped bad (possibly not broken it right). The clutch disk looks decent and I can still see the texture they tend to have brand new and lots of material left still. Can the disk be reused? should I, can I resurface it? Itd save me nearly $400 bucks over a replacement Ive been looking at.

Took the xhaust manifolds and heat shielding into work with me today. Got em blasted and painted with the ceramic VHT brand paint. Did a lil cleaning inside the manifold around the port areas with a die grinder and some drum sanders. Nothing to extreme just cleaned off some carbon/rust/shit while I got here. Ill get em cured tonight and have photos hopefully. Picked up a bunch of stainless hardware yesterday and ordered ARP stainless studs. Jegs was the cheapest and they'll have em drop shipped to me direct from ARP instead of out to ohio and back. Need to make a run to the PnP and get a few more items, especially the heat shield for the crossover pipe.

cuz she was stealing my socks to wear and she kept getting the holy ones...lol

In the oven after curing.

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

Fuckin egr tube broke And the damn thing wont come off either. Im thinking its brass. Might try brazing it up and leaving it. Im open to suggestions tho.

IMG_3841.jpg

Called up my tranny guy, The gears and everything in the 5 speed are in good shape so im just gonna have him swap out the bearings and seals. Should have that back in a week or so.

The place that did my motor said they can also do an injector service so I'll end up taking em over there. I want to have em checked for pattern and volume consistency mainly. Going with upgraded injectors is more than Im willing to spend considering the stock setup will handle 12lbs of boost.

Some pics I snapped of the bed. Obviously its hard to see the details in pics of white paint, but its not perfect. It may never be. I think going too far with the body perfection would really prevent me from wanting to actually drive it. Not to mention it'd leave a lil bit of character and make the overall product a little more ....respectable. Sometimes when things are too pretty or too perfect, its just not right. Then again, im probly nit pickin things most people would never even notice. I tend to do that..lol

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

After looking at how this came out and the rising cost of the build, I may decide to go entirely with single stage paint. Ill have to run it by my painter regarding two tone and my color ideas to see if we can make it happen. The bed only cost me $440 to have painted in this condition. A base/clear could easily have been double.....more things to think about.

I need a custom manifold setup made If anyone locally knows a shop. I need to check pricing as I could likely do it myself aswell.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...