Vg30et 521

Hyphy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt a s13/14 has way more support but If you have to modify it to work then that's kind of moot no? They do make every kind of lsd for the r160 so if the dimensions fit without modification I vote for it.

I know you are referring to a professional porting your stuff funds permitting but I wouldn't lack of stop you. Just taking a little bit of material out and smoothing out the castings, port match using the gaskets, would result in nice gains and can be done by you easily. My .02 on that.

If anyone has a 510 or photos on hand already of the rear setup, id like to see em. Id like to get an idea of how the setup mounts up. Is it a removable subframe like the s13/14 and other nissans? How do the struts/springs/coilovers mount? etc. thanks

You may be right about the bang for buck. 510 difs aren't exactly falling from the sky. I think the mounting method in that article is whats important for you. A long nose helical lsd r160/r180 from a subi could be used or with even less work a long nose r180/r200 from a 70-89zcar, very plentiful. Gives you the options of universals (could use the 510s even) or cvs and it also gives you stock lsd options.

Didn't your donor turbo z31 come with a long nose r200 clutch lsd?

I mean s13/14 is modern and just as plentiful as the long nose series with I'd say the same support not better(you can get ANY locker or lsd for the long nose, PLUS the many combos of universals or cvs and cheaper). It's open stock as well though, for that why not use a j30? It's the same dif just viscous lsd. local yards by me want $80 wheel to wheel lol.

Just saying there are MANY options out there. I don't think s12/13 is the best. s13/14 parts are seriously taxed these days too.

Edited by 72240z

I would assume that the donor 300zx did come with an LSD. But its not in the garage yet so i dont know specifics just yet. My problem with that rear setup is the killer camber and seperation of spring and shock. The later could likely be solved very easily however.

What about a combination of the 510 and stock donor lsd?

I would assume that the donor 300zx did come with an LSD. But its not in the garage yet so i dont know specifics just yet. My problem with that rear setup is the killer camber and seperation of spring and shock. The later could likely be solved very easily however.

What about a combination of the 510 and stock donor lsd?

could be done if i remember correctly whats under the 300zx is a r200 the half shafts would need to be shortend but it should work

Ya I only mention it because if you have a long nose r200 clutch lsd why not take advantage?

I don't think that combo will work because the 510 universal axles use companion flanges on the dif side with a totally dif diameter and tooth count. The r160 uses 2 equal length axles as well where the r200's use one short one long. Just seems overly complicated to do, esp to end up using out dated universal joints that actually provide less pivot room then cvs.

I personally would mount the dif you have, for the wheel side use a modern motorsports adapter or make your own(it's fairly straightforward). If its too long just have one end of the shafts cut and machined local, its cheap and easy.

Your left with a clutch r200 irs with cvs lol, pretty hot imo.

If you decide to keep and use the dif there is a write up on hbz about changing/adding disks to suite your purposes and even a member/group buy I believe selling disks(thicker). The dif stock is nice as its beefy and clutch but there have been long term/high power issues due to Nissan using thin disks stock.

Edited by 72240z

oh yea, spent the last day or so workin on redoing the intake manifold cover. Hit it with some paint stripper, cleaned all that up, scuffed and painted with some engine enamel. Its a duranotic color ( brownish metallic) but was hoping itd turn out less brown..but it didnt. Spent all day at work lapping the cover on some 800 grit sandpaper. Im still not happy with the finish, so no pics...ill hit it up some more tomorrow likely and then get some pics. After a few days ill be able to throw some clear on it.

hmmm what about a 510 rear? i know its not the best but i know where you can get one for cheap and it will be the right width

A 510 rear suspension is still to wide for a 521, for that matter its even to wide for a 620 compared to stock. The 300zx stuff is even wider, and your 300zxt looks like an early car which LSD's were not standard in.

Abe

Edited by Abe Froman

IMG_3627.jpg

Paint stripped, picked clean, scuffed, masked, about 5 coats of color (it wasnt coming out heavy), un masked, lapped over 600/800 grit for hours and shot with 6 coats of clear

and you really have to see it in person to appreciate it...the camera wont capture the pattern of the lapping

Called the motor shop yesterday. They had the motor pulled apart...and to no surprise...everything looked really good..181k on this motor and its looking great. So im thinkin i might have some extra fundage for some extra parts...we'll see

Im thinkin gauges would be a good bet to spend it on. Extremely unlikely there'll be enough left for a new turbo or anything. Maybe some port work...ill find out for sure once they run the numbers.

Been a lil lazy the last week waiting on motor and all...I really should get my ass to a yard and find parts for the front suspension conversion and get my order into Beebani.

Hit up the rancho PnP with a buddy of mine. Found a bunch of nice shit. The only 84+ truck was an 85 720 and it had been rather stripped already, but i did manage to snatch the LCA,spindle,hub and calipers needed for the balljoint swap. Those were a bitch to pull...

Also nabbed an LSD diff out of a z32. didnt bother to remember year or anything. Woulda grabbed the whole rear subframe except someone beat me to the control arms and half shafts :(

Lastly a power steering rack out of a 81 200sx. Torn boots but otherwise in good condition. Ill be mocking that up at somepoint to verify length.

There was a 620 there with an L20b If any of you local boys want one.