Vg30et 521

Hyphy

glad to see you picked it up man the things you mention really arnt that bad and 1500 for the whole damn car cant beat that with a stick i cant wait to see that vg between the fenders of the 521 its gonna be sweet:thumbsup:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its unfortunate he didnt have better documentation. Itd probly help me do mine alot if he did. Tho the few pics he did have are still helpful. As this motor is comin out of a z car, im hoping the oil pan clearance will be better, but Itll be hard to tell until I get to mockin it up.

The steering was always a concern when i decided to do this. The solid, one piece, column makes it a pain. The steering being directly below the engine worries me as it was also a poin of impact when pulling the L series out with trans. Tho i never successfully got the L out while the trans was still attached anyway. I know i want to ditch the torsion bars, so theres some clearance there. Tho i still havent tackled the steering. A rack and pinion would be ideal, especially if it works well witht he stock Z car components.

Regarding the rear end....I am seriously leaning towards pulling the rear subframe from the Z to maintain gearing and LSD while gaining an independant suspension.

If your going to use the Z rearend, why not the front as well? I had asked about this setup once and found it to be too wide. How about adding some 510 box flairs in front and some custome made ones in back?

The rear subframe unbolts from the unibody car...I doubt the front does the same.... The subframe swap to an IRS'd rear isnt set in stone. I have to do some measuring and figure how Id fab it. Its a more complicated task. I could bag this truck in my sleep so to speak, but swappin this IRS in is new to me.

Taking some other truck parts and a set of Beebani's custom uppers gets me balljoints and adding coilovers at that point isnt difficult. Tryin to find a rear end that works is a lil trickier. Any non 521 rear I try would have to be shortened.

492.jpg

The earliest Pathfinder was in '87 and did have Z24i motors but rare I think as a stronger VG would work better. This could be a Z24, but definitely is NOT a Z24i.

The Z24 like all Z series motors will easily fit the 521 and 620 trucks by using the Z series motor mounts. No cutting or welding required unless you have the older 520 with the J13 motor.

Your 521 stock tranny will have a ribbed case with a removable bottom pan and flange output. The dogleg will be the same length, no ribs on the case, no bottom pan, will have a front and rear case half sandwiching a 1" steel adapter plate in the middle and have a flange output. BOTH are about 26" long. .... just read that you can't remove the driveshaft.... this makes it not the FS5W63 dogleg. I find it odd the tranny tunnel was cut which indicates a long tail tranny was installed. Can't think of many flange output long tails. POST A PICTURE OF IT!

Like a lot of projects... this started out simple enough. Now it's VG30ET with IRS?? Good luck mounting a turbo VG, those torsion bars and steering have to go. You aren't seriously thinking of bagging an IRS rear are you??

Edited by datzenmike

I know everyone, even wiki and other forums say the 1st gen pathy came z24 but I have never seen one stateside. Must be super super rare, I have doubts though.

I would like to see/drive one in person to compare.

All that aside though from the pics wouldn't it make more sense that it be a 720? The rad support and what not sure looks it.

Edited by 72240z

Ha ha.. you see what you want to see right?? He said it was Path and they only had Z24i. I could tell it wasn't a Z24i so I ASSumed it was swapped. Besides, I have never seen one either, but yeah now it looks more like a 720 than a Path.

The Z24i is a throttle body injection. The fastest way to tell it from a Z engine, is that the throttle body uses two wing nuts to hold the air filter on. All other Z engines with carbs use only one. The 620 doesn't use any wing nuts.

Edited by datzenmike

Wasn't really a knock on what you had said Mike just what I thought when I saw it after skimming through the thread. Anyone's guess at this point lol.

I'm going to make a mental note about the air cleaners. Far too often I'm guessing i or not.

No probs, I ment I saw what I wanted to see. It's a bitch when you assume. Usually when things don't add up later you go back and notice other things too.

The very late '86.5 720s actually had Z24i in them too. Maybe a month or so before the switch over to the new D-21 Hardbody. Manuals including the '86 FSM do not mention it. There is a small FSM addendum for the '86 that covers ONLY the EFI section. Extremely rare and collectible. Considered the Holy Grail to a 720 owner. :lol:

yea...never got back around to fillin in the blanks on here...

After some research.. turns out it is a 720 and it sits in my garage. I need to get rid of it and fast. The 300zx is gonna need that spot very soon. It is a Z24 (not i) and a 5speed. Pass side front half shaft is shot at the hub/cv joint.

The old motor from the 521 is a L18 with a W58 head and a dogleg. It has the 1" 'spacer'. No idea why the trans tunnel was cut. Could have been from a swap even before this one...who knows. The truck had been involved in a flood that got to about halfway up the door panel. Didnt work after that and didnt bother to mess with it. After pullin the motor...the cluth/flywheel..all that .. was rusted...orange water form the water pump and so on.

The comment about baggin wasnt to ensue that i was plannin on baggin it, but that I could. Skill/talent wise. I used to own a s10 that over the time i owned it, had redone everything i paid to have done in the first place. When it comes to baggin trucks...I know what im doing. Baggin and IRS is only for the cool factor of negative camber in the rear IMO. Id honestly have no problem keeping a solid axle in the rear either. I just hapn to have a donor z car now so was gonna run with that. Plus, bagged or not, IRS is definitely a plus both for performance and cool factor.

/edit..

Any thoughts on the steering? Rack and pinion from the z was gonna be the first place i started..once i get it back to my place. Due to the weather and a full garage, im havin a local mechanic shop pull the motor so I can get the rebuild started.

Would a miata rack work?? lol

Edited by Hyphy

Updates

disassembled motor for rebuild.

IMG_3603.jpg

The pieces that will be cleaned and possibly ported (if theres funds left)

IMG_3608.jpg

The bread and butter :D

IMG_3607.jpg

Nearly everything below the valve covers was loaded with grime and oil. The alternator was literally covered in oil. No surprise being that it sits underneath the oil filter. I brought those pieces back and cleaned em up.

I figure ill need to buy new mount isolators to keep the ride smooth. Tho some have said this motor is relatively smooth as is and the VG site that sells 510 swap parts sells thier own solid mounts, I may reconsider this. Starter- The mount casting broke during transport. The clutch - slipped really bad during the test drive when i bought the vehicle. When i took it apart, it looked like the pressure plate in the clutch had developed some hot spots. It may not have been broken in properly when the PO put it in.

Other things will of course arise, but for now that seems to be all aside from the parts for a rebuild. The turbo seems to be fine, tho without a boost gauge on before hand..its hard to tell.

No numbers yet from the shop thats rebuilding it so no idea what if any money will be left for upgrades or an ETA. I should hear back on monday.

California Street Machine in suisun. I know the owner. The luxury of runnin a sign shop, I know alot of business owners in the area. :D

He was actually in there saturday workin on a 600cu.in. alcohol motor. 3k horse i think he said, may have been BS tho...

It sounds a little bullshitty to me. I have seen 8.2 hemis blown on strait alc making 1500ish hp, under decent boost.

Either way though a 600cu rat presumably running super high comp on alc is making buku hp lol. No doubt about that......

At this rate I should probly suggest that this get moved to the projects section and be titled 'VG30ET 521'

Done and done Hyphy. I am really psyched about this swap!

I went pokin around the local PnP found a few s13's a few 300z's no miatas tho. Im thinkin I may not do the IRS setup. Which means Id have to find a solid axle. Probly get it and the axle shafts shrotened, make sure it has LSD and the right bolt pattern...grrrr.....I could wait on doing the rear in general. But i have a feeling if I do, when i got to test drive itll fail. S14/13 rears would be nice, Ill have to go diggin around the Rancho yards at some point.