510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sticker I have was a super-ultra-mega-limited run. The guy made 5, and all the money went to the actual VRT website to help Squidd out.

You can check http://violentrunning.squidd.org/ and see if anybody's making them/if they can have one made in that color for you.

The only two people in NorCal (to my knowledge) that have these are me and my brother on his Q45.

So when I get new pictures, I should totally post them. Buuuuut I don't. Bummer! So KA-Kait and I were hosting a big BBQ/Potluck/Car Meet at Tetotom Park in Antelope this past weekend, and I've been super busy. Sue me.

The day before the meet, I decided I wanted to paint the bottom of my hood Satin Black. The oil-stained, semi-butterscotch/rust look just wasn't doing my engine bay any justice.

BEFORE:

a003.jpg

AFTER:

00001.jpg

So while the hood was off the car for paint, I did some general cleaning and degreasing, and the engine bay was looking quite snazzy. Kait suggested (ahem... DEMANDED!) that I leave the hood off for the meet. Fine, you talked me into it...

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

The 'Goon got a lot of attention at the meet, and Jonnie Fraz may be making a strut bar for me. We'll see what happens! (Fraz-mataz, if you read this, PM me yo numbah, so we can talk about it). Today is where things got fun, though! And by "fun," I do mean "a lot of work in the hot sun!"

This morning, my shaft collars came in from Texas. I used a grinder and took down the weld that was on my strut holding up my adjustable collars/spring perches, then mounted the shaft collar a few inches lower on the strut to give me some more downward movement!

Water bottle = PWNED!

IMG00010-20090421-1546.jpg

Sadly, the struts not only bottom out over any little bump, but when I put my 2.5" lowering blocks on the ALREADY lowered leaf springs, it was still raked way too much to the front.

IMG00011-20090421-1801.jpg

Easy-ish fix! Jacked it back up, fiddled with threads on the collars, and finally settled to where I'm at now. It needs to go about 1/2" lower in front to make it sit JUST right, in my opinion, but it's WAY lower than it was. About 1" lower in front, and 2.5" lower than it was in the back.

Here's where we're at as of tonight. Again, I'd like to go about 1/2" lower in the front. I'll also need to get under the rear again with a hammer and bang in the higher lip (silly 510's and their silly wheel tubs...), readjust the exhaust because it sits on the axle, and see if theres any rubbing on the tires.

00002.jpg

00003.jpg

Do It In A Datsun!

00006.jpg

I need to figure out how MUCH room I can make in the rear. The exhaust obviously needs to be modified. I'm also going to need to cut out/raise the floor under the seats (silly axle wrap and diff smack...). Depending on how much extra room that clears up, as well as taking a look in the wheel tubs and seeing if I can go any lower, I might go just a hair lower in the back. I've already planned on welding a thicker steel plate onto my new oil pan. Front sump ALWAYS frightens me a little with this car. The pan sits a bit higher than the crossmember, but at a low ride height, that doesn't really matter.. I need a front sway bar ASAP, and I'll feel a LITTLE safer.

If I am able to go a hair lower in the rear, I'll definitely modify the struts to go a bit lower without bottoming out. I need new shocks up front anyway, and that would be the deciding factor.

SLAMMED i likeeeee.

hmm i had the axle /diff issues in my 510 when i slammed it but i found an easy fix was to put in shorter motor mounts or solid mounts that are about 1/4 to 1/2 in shorter. for the diff you can cut the bottom part of the bushing and use it as a spacer to lower the moustache bar by about 1/2 to 3/4 in put a big washer on both sides of the moustache bar bushing.

I know your a wagon and with a ka but maybe the ideas will help.

SLAMMED i likeeeee.

hmm i had the axle /diff issues in my 510 when i slammed it but i found an easy fix was to put in shorter motor mounts or solid mounts that are about 1/4 to 1/2 in shorter. for the diff you can cut the bottom part of the bushing and use it as a spacer to lower the moustache bar by about 1/2 to 3/4 in put a big washer on both sides of the moustache bar bushing.

I know your a wagon and with a ka but maybe the ideas will help.

there be no mustashe bar in a goon :P is there a budget for the build? throw a 4 link in it :P

lookin good man keep going

If you wanna go with bars, a ladder bar setup works best to counter axle wrap. The cons of a ladder bar setup are reduced drastically with limited suspension travel. Though finding a good place to mount em might be the tricky part.

If you wanna reduce the noise and deal with the axle wrap (made worse by drop blocks by the way) mount a bumstop to the bottom of the body above the point at which the axle is making contact. But only enough to deaden the blow. If its too big, it could push down on the axle when the suspension compresses. Should be able to find a cheap lil 1/2" tall or so, stud mounted, black bumpstop. Dunno if kragen or napa has em, but worth a look.

Considering I used to work a Fender Bender Intl (one of the leading companies as far as air ride suspension and mini truck customization), and my brother is still the General Manager there, I'm starting to think about locking down the axle more and more. My idea RIGHT NOW is a triangulated 4-link setup, and some sort of coilover setup, possibly a cantilever setup because wagons are kind of strapped for room underneath.

As far as the axle wrap, yes it is made worse by the blocks. I already knew that, which is why I went for the de-arched/stiffened springs. But I want more lower, and blocks meet that requirement just dandilly. I've been thinking about doing a small traction bar setup for temporary use, and getting a beefier axle shortened to my specs and 4 link that one (ford 8.8", most likely, because of LSD choices, aftermarket support, and beefy axle shafts, while still being fairly inexpensive).

Lozer (OR anybody else!), if you're interested to learn MORE about different suspension setups, this site is a pretty decent place for some quick knowledge:

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/traction_bars.htm

There are a few fixes for axle wrap that have writeups and such. As far as the noise from the axle, it doesn't REALLY bother me. It's only when I get on it a bit harder than I should anyway. I've wanted to raise the floor under the rear seats anyway, since it takes care of the problem almost completely when you're low. That and a good axle/4 link will make the Boso Goon super happy!

Well last time i was there (FBI) Dan and John worked the phones...I dont whats changed if anything in the last couple years so I cant guess for sure. You should just tell me. I may be in the market for some of thier shit anyway... Does Phil still work there? Still have his Scion Xb?

Whoa! Haha Jon isn't there anymore, but Dan is still the phone monkey - erm... Sales Manager, I mean! Phil is my brother, and he's still there. He's the General Manager. No, he doesn't still have the xB. He sold it to a grandma! (no joke!!). Now he's driving a Q45 VIP'd out on air suspension front/rear.

IMG_6366.jpg

FBI moved, though. I don't know when you were there last. They moved from Rancho Cordova to El Dorado Hills. They bought the old Comtech building, and it's a MUCH nicer spot!

It's only like 10-15 minutes up the road from the Rancho shop, it's not a bad drive. I know they kept the stools, but I'm not sure what kind of shape the show room is in. I usually just make my old shipping coworker let me in the back door (no homo!) and go upstairs to see my brother.

ANYWAY back to the Boso Goon.

With the new slammed stance, I can hear SOMETHING rubbing over bumps and turns. I can't figure out what it is though (and haven't crawled under too far to find out, either). The tires/sidewalls on both sides are cool to the touch, which suggests it's not the tire rubbing. The wheels aren't the culprit either, as they don't tuck far enough (I'll fix that some other time!!).

I do know that the exhaust is resting on the axle. However, the only reason that would make a rubbing noise would be if it were actually being pushed up against the floor. A slight buzzing might sound like rubbing... But I hear the sound on one side or the other, and over dips, I hear it on both sides...

Any ideas?

The only thing that makes me think it's NOT the U joints is the fact that I hear it distinctly from either side of the rear or the car. With a KA, I hear what the diff/U joints do to my tunnel every time I slam the pedal on the right.

I guess I'm going to have to man-up, and find a way to crawl under there with the lower stance.

Also, Since I not only have blocks, but also have de-arched springs, what kind of shocks do you guys recommend? I know I'll need them, especially once I have enough clearance to get a little more suspension travel in back...

Well man i FINALLY sat down and read followed your build from the begining...

does that make me a better friend now? lol

I didnt realize that you just got the goon started basically last dec? awesome and great progress hehe...

I finally got my damn Fidanza so my 4d00r should be back in yo faceee lol....And y the fuck havent i gone on this "cruise" is kait better than me?

dick....

:lol:

man that goon looked crazy with the coils wound down...hope you can eventually run it like that all the time! nice work

That's my HOPED FOR eventual stance. I have a lot of work to do front and rear before I can ride like that, and a skid plate will be top priority at that point, as well as a reinforced oil pain. That being said, it was fucking evil and super fun to sit in and wish...

Well man i FINALLY sat down and read followed your build from the begining...

does that make me a better friend now? lol

I didnt realize that you just got the goon started basically last dec? awesome and great progress hehe...

I finally got my damn Fidanza so my 4d00r should be back in yo faceee lol....And y the fuck havent i gone on this "cruise" is kait better than me?

dick....

Kelly, you're invited to go with us on the next cruise. That won't be until my car is fixed and ready for some bumps and heavy turns, though! Stoked to hear you're going to have the 4 door back on it's toes soon! Can't wait to have you driving a real car that's Right Wheel Drive!

As far as when I got the car running, It's been running/driving for a little over a year now. My thread on Zilvia started January of 08, and the car started March of 08... I was just a late Ratsun bloomer!

I got home and there was still a bit of daylight left. I had some rubbing in the rear, and it DID turn out to be the tires. I took Chris' sledge to the fenders again, and definitely made some progress. It still rubs a hair, but there's not much I can do until I cut out the fenders and slap some mondo-flares on the rear! I took a measurement or two, and turned down the collars up front about 1/2", too, then remeasured in the garage for a level surface (finally!)

From ground to the BOTTOM of the rocker (not counting the pinch welds), it's 6" up front and 6.5" in the rear! Just enough of a rake to look right, but not so much that it's unbearable. I do, however, need to cut the struts and shorten them, as well as cut the floor out of the rear to get some extra clearance for the differential. Shorter shocks in the rear are on the way, too!

Here are some shots!

IMG_1351.jpg

Front shot:

IMG_1352.jpg

Wide:

IMG_1353.jpg

Tuckin' tires:

IMG_1354.jpg

Shot from teh backz:

IMG_1355.jpg

Kitteh Approves!

IMG_1356.jpg

I'll keep it updated!

How do you plan to flare the rear given the door and rear quarter meet above the tire? Hopefully you dont have to reshape the jam and door. Those fronts fiberglass?

Id try to find some nice looking PnP fenders that are flared (toyota 4wd etc) and do some metal working. Maybe even keep the flared section on the door as opposed to cutting it back. Maybe unnecessary, but itd look right i think.