510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

I would love to do air horns of some sort.... My brother's probably reading this and rubbing his hands together, because Fender Bender Intl sells train horns, and if/when I go that route, I'll be hooking it up with train horns!

As far as exhaust, I have it flanged before the muffler so I'd be able to swap different things on. For normal driving, I'll stick with what I've got on there (2.5" piping and a Dynomax muffler), but the goal is to have a Y-Pipe/2-1 Collector just under the driver's side quarter panel, and two pipes wrapping up from there, and angling up over my quarter panel toward the hatch... Then, to top things off, I want to use those "exhaust clappers" that you see on Semi trucks and tractors...

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to do air horns of some sort.... My brother's probably reading this and rubbing his hands together, because Fender Bender Intl sells train horns, and if/when I go that route, I'll be hooking it up with train horns!

As far as exhaust, I have it flanged before the muffler so I'd be able to swap different things on. For normal driving, I'll stick with what I've got on there (2.5" piping and a Dynomax muffler), but the goal is to have a Y-Pipe/2-1 Collector just under the driver's side quarter panel, and two pipes wrapping up from there, and angling up over my quarter panel toward the hatch... Then, to top things off, I want to use those "exhaust clappers" that you see on Semi trucks and tractors...

Ahh, could put it on a dump so you can use the other exhaust and the pull of a switch. Should be fun.

Louder is better! :lol:

:w00t: awesome!!!

i want them too!

IIRC they require a compressor(compressed gas) to operate.

add a siren too! :fu:

Haha, a siren would be epic! Yeah, my brother (and I used to) works at F.B.I. - Fender Bender Intl. They specialize in air suspension for cars/trucks. I'd just need some air lines, a compressor and a tiny tank to power some sweet train horns!

Ahh, could put it on a dump so you can use the other exhaust and the pull of a switch. Should be fun.

Louder is better! :lol:

Kind of... I don't want to deal with exhaust cutouts. But I have a flange close enough to the back of the car that removing the boso pipes and putting on a regular muffler would be simple.

Today was eventful. Phil and I cruised down past Stockton to meet at Kirk's house and snag some Datto parts that he needed GONE! We got there and literally WADED through fox tails to get to the roadster and the 2 door that he had out in the middle of his field. We loaded what we needed into the car, hauled it out front, and snagged all the little parts that were still usable. Sadly, the car was NOT still usable, so Kirk had some fun with his Bobcat...

It was sad seeing the roof being punctured by the claws, but it made me feel better seeing the roof hold the weight of him trying to smash it! Makes me feel safer in case I, OR ANYBODY ELSE rolled their Dime (god forbid!).

We did get a slew of 2-door doors and misc parts... including a SWEET hood that someone used wood screws to put on a mustang hood scoop... At least they used the windshield heater vents from a Datsun 510 as the air scoops.... Sadly, the hood USED to be in pretty perfect shape, but now it has some wicked holes cut in it... Ah well, we'll use them!

Phil's 2-door came with a '68 grill... in nearly-perfect shape! It was pretty filthy, though, and needed some love.. and the badge could use a new coat of paint on it, too! I offered to lend a hand, because honestly, I think it's fun to try my hand at restoring things like this, and my Bluebird grill.

Before:

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Progress:

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Mechanic Kitteh does NOT approve!

IMG_1466.jpg

I also re-painted a Datsun grill badge... No idea what it's off of, but I painted it silver, and then painted the D red today. The shape kinda looks like a superhero mark... Super Datsun!

Before:

IMG00086-20090712-2104.jpg

Today:

IMG00087-20090714-1634.jpg

Then the real fun part about my day was cleaning/sanding/painting the roof of my wagon... Ugh! The noise my car makes while I'm driving is enough to give me a headache after long enough, and it's really rattley. Most of the rattling comes from the roof, so I figured that if I put some paint on it, it'd help dull it up a bit! So I picked up another can of that "truck bed liner" stuff I used in the engine bay, and I got ready... There was still some fur up on the roof from the original headliner and sound deadening, so I had to go to town sanding it and prepping for paint. Which means in 103* heat... inside my car with only shorts, a bandana, a beanie and some sunglasses, I had to let crust and fur rain down on me... and then paint... pointing up..

Needless to say, I'm STILL covered in paint, even after scrubbing as much as I could away in the shower! But it turned out gooooood! I never thought about how hard it is to get a good picture of the roof of a car, but it's damn hard! I need a fisheye lens!!

IMG00088-20090714-1728.jpg

My little brother was home, and I wanted to spend some time with him, so he did me the favor of printing out some things from the computer, and helping me cut them out to make some stencils! We only did a few, I wanted to leave room for more patterns and stencils in different sizes and whatnot, but it adds some character to the interior!

Front

IMG00090-20090714-1924.jpg

Back

IMG_1490.jpg

That's it for tonight! I washed my car, and now I'm letting it air out, because I've already lost enough brain cells for one day! I'll take a drive later tonight so I can see if it helped any with sound deadening.

What ya think?!

PS. Anybody know what car the badge is off of?

Is your paint in there just rattle canned cause it looks good. My interior is bamboo tan. One of the POs started painting some things a sort of dark silver which I'd like to continue but I doubt I'll find paint that looks just like that so I'll probalby have to start over.

Is your paint in there just rattle canned cause it looks good. My interior is bamboo tan. One of the POs started painting some things a sort of dark silver which I'd like to continue but I doubt I'll find paint that looks just like that so I'll probalby have to start over.

Yeah, inside and out, everything is rattle canned. The reason the interior colors are shiney and the outside aren't is because the outside of the car has a lot more surface, and I didn't take as much time. We did a few very light coats outside to cover the old color, but not enough to lay down a nice shiney, thick coat.

Inside, I hold the can closer and do a heavier coat, which is why it looks better. Soon enough, I'm going to have to re-paint the outside of my car. It's been over a year since I painted it, and it's starting to fade a little, and show some wear-and-tear. It's fine for now, but when I re-do it, I'll try to get a little more coverage and it should last longer too.

Krylon is the brand of paint I go for. Tends to lay down nice, they use the blue spray nozzles on most of their paint now (which help to lay down a more even coat), and it's been durable. Plus you can get it in pink!

it made me feel better seeing the roof hold the weight of him trying to smash it! Makes me feel safer in case I, OR ANYBODY ELSE rolled their Dime (god forbid!).

i coulda told you that 1-1/2 rolls is not going to crush the occupants :blink:

in fact, we rolled in back onto the wheels and drove it home.

i think your grill badge is a older b210 badge. like pre 1976 i'd say. great work on the car, truck bedliner has many more uses than i first imagined, seems like could practicaly cover every surface of a vehicle with it, and have it look good. looks cool as a headliner.

Edited by CharlieBucket
i think your grill badge is a older b210 badge. like pre 1976 i'd say. great work on the car, truck bedliner has many more uses than i first imagined, seems like could practicaly cover every surface of a vehicle with it, and have it look good. looks cool as a headliner.

Thanks for the info! I'm not to worried what kind of car it came off of. The Super Datsun badge looks good, so I'm stuck with it!

As for the liner, yeah... It's been incredibly durable in the engine bay, and I drove the car last night... MAN what a difference! Not NEARLY as much rattling as there used to be! It was a night and day difference. It wasn't fun to do, but the result was worth it so far.

Today was an "accessorize the 'goon!" day for me. I got 3 new stickers on the glass, got a wheel polished, started to bang on my fenders to smooth them out a little, and installed some sweet new interior parts!

I went and picked up some paint stripper, and got the old clear coat off one of my wheels. I hit it with some 1500 grit to clean up the minor scratches and oxidation that was forming. Then I got to polishing with my sweet little buff ball. I love Mother's products!

Y'all can find your OWN pictures of what they looked like before... Here's the one I "finished" polishing and re-painted the Phillips screw spokes and outer windows. I'm not going for perfection, but it turned out smexy!!

IMG00100-20090720-1856.jpg

So when that was done, the mail came and I got my latest eBay purchase! I bought TWO 3" extensions for my shifter, and a Hurst "pistol grip" shift knob for the hell of it. I figure if Bosozoku means going a little on the impractical side of things, this would be the PERFECT way to do it!!

Peeking out...

IMG00099-20090720-1711.jpg

First Gear

IMG00097-20090720-1705.jpg

Second Gear

IMG00098-20090720-1705.jpg

Test drive! Thanks for filming, Kait... Thanks a LOT for showing how trashy I look in stunna shades, a wife beater and barefeet... Peep the SWEET heel-toe!

Now you guys know what it's like to ride shotty in the 'goon. Not as brutal as I try to make it out to be! Although filming from a blackberry phone... not as good on sound quality as the real life is!

I'm gonna try to get at least one more wheel done tomorrow, and see how things go... I'm also replacing my battery terminal connectors with new ones. These old guys just don't have the clamping force I want on there!

What do you guys think?

you are definately getting more boso, thats for sure. any crazy exhaust piping yet?

Not YET, it's already planned out. Again, I'll be doing a Y-Pipe that comes from under the driver's side quarter panel just behind the rear wheel, and two parallel pipes angling up just past the rear of the car. Nothing TOO wild or crazy, but definitely a little bit! I'll have to weld a bottle opener on it, as well as get some of those exhaust clappers like I posted earlier.

Any fool can bolt on a short-shift kit- it takes a SPECIAL kind of fool to put a LONG-SHIFT kit on their ride!!:D

Haha, yeah. The hairy arms help with the crazy shifting! I actually JUST called a guy about a B&M Short Shifter that he's selling for CRAZY cheap brand new... We'll see how that goes! It won't fix the problem completely, but it should be a little better.....

I like the wheels! I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine whatever they are. Did you tape it all off or paint it all black then sand down like a valve cover?

I taped it off. It was KIND of a bitch, with all the little "spokes" next to the windows... But totally worth it. The main concern I had with these wheels was that if I painted first, I'd have to worry about polishing the paint back off... With yours, it almost looks like it'd be easier to paint first and sand it back off.

What did you pay for the Rx-7 oil cooler and for all the lines?

any idea on what an acceptable "going rate" is for a used cooler like that? I like the size and look of it.

I paid a friend $25 for it... but he races RX-7's, so he had a few. I think they usually go for around $40-60 from what I saw on craigslist. The braided line I bought will be just about perfect once I hook up the actual setup with the new motor. I think I ended up buying 8'... But I can't be quite certain. The line I bought was a bit pricier than the typical braided, but I really like the look of it.. and since it's on display ALL THE TIME, that's important.

The line was appx. $80, and the grand total (line, fittings, remote oil filter setup and special AN wrench so I don't screw up my pretty fittings!) was appx. $300.

Fittings are NOT cheap! You get what you pay for, though, and even though my car isn't being abused the way some of the cars out there are, it's good to know that the parts I bought are quality Earl's fittings.

WOW, this is a sweet ass build. great work done thus far. i think i need to start a build thread of my dime, as the front of the car is totally apart and in one million pieces, gettin paint and all

goons rock!!!!!!!!!

Today was an "accessorize the 'goon!" day for me. I got 3 new stickers on the glass, got a wheel polished, started to bang on my fenders to smooth them out a little, and installed some sweet new interior parts!

I went and picked up some paint stripper, and got the old clear coat off one of my wheels. I hit it with some 1500 grit to clean up the minor scratches and oxidation that was forming. Then I got to polishing with my sweet little buff ball. I love Mother's products!

Y'all can find your OWN pictures of what they looked like before... Here's the one I "finished" polishing and re-painted the Phillips screw spokes and outer windows. I'm not going for perfection, but it turned out smexy!!

IMG00100-20090720-1856.jpg

So when that was done, the mail came and I got my latest eBay purchase! I bought TWO 3" extensions for my shifter, and a Hurst "pistol grip" shift knob for the hell of it. I figure if Bosozoku means going a little on the impractical side of things, this would be the PERFECT way to do it!!

Peeking out...

IMG00099-20090720-1711.jpg

First Gear

IMG00097-20090720-1705.jpg

Second Gear

IMG00098-20090720-1705.jpg

Test drive! Thanks for filming, Kait... Thanks a LOT for showing how trashy I look in stunna shades, a wife beater and barefeet... Peep the SWEET heel-toe!

Now you guys know what it's like to ride shotty in the 'goon. Not as brutal as I try to make it out to be! Although filming from a blackberry phone... not as good on sound quality as the real life is!

I'm gonna try to get at least one more wheel done tomorrow, and see how things go... I'm also replacing my battery terminal connectors with new ones. These old guys just don't have the clamping force I want on there!

What do you guys think?

wow for a second i though it was me driving :lol: