510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

The RIGHT way to do it would be to recut the door line, cut out almost the whole wheel tub, and shape a metal flare. There's a thread on the510realm on a 4 door flare job using some VW arches.....................

Too much work!

I wanna take a good amount of sheet metal, cut it, bow out the bottom of it, measure twice, then pop-rivet that bitch on there! I want to start the flare down at the rocker panel, curve upward a bit, maybe give a bit of a vent for the sake of having a vent on it, come up over the body line, then bow back down after the wheel well, and end with enough room to snake some dual, polished pipes up the side of my quarter panel to make a good amount of noise...

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did think about it, but I also think that's too much work. What I might do, that my brother and I think would be pretty trick, is to get rid of that "quarter window" and make the WHOLE window roll down as one piece. We'll have to see if it's do-able because of the wheel arch, but I think that'd be pretty awesome.

I want to finish my motor swap, THEN worry about finishing body work.

you definitely spend a good deal of time on this ride. very unique to say. hopefully I can meet you and see your work in person. have to make some time to come to the meets to meet a lot of other datsun folks let alone wagon folks. great progress.

Thanks, dude! I've definitely been putting a lot of time into this build, and it's starting to really come together. I've said that a million times when things are close to being how I want them. But I mean it. I don't really want to go lower than what I'm at right now. Any lower and I'll run into major clearance issues with wheels, fenders, seats, floor and ground clearance. I already want to reinforce my new oil pan with a thick steel plate, make a skid plate and run a sway bar, so yeah, I'm good where I'm at.

I want to progress on the motor swap, I've just been so swamped!

I'd ordered a few things from them the other week, and there was an issue with the long wheel studs. They ended up refunding me some money and getting me the Nismo's anyway! When they came in this morning I was surprised to see a little S30 Penny Racer!

When the whole issue had first come up with the wheel studs, I was talking back and forth with them. They suggested that since most of my parts were for S30's that these are a cool little trinket. I explained I had a 510, sent them a few pictures and we talked Datsuns for a while. Russel has some old 510 stuff and has owned a few of them in the past. Very cool dudes, definitely! I'll be doing more business with them for sure!

He did send me a link to these, in case anybody is interested...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Datsun-Bluebird-510-Grille-SSS-18423

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Datsun-Bluebird-510-Grille-SSS-23337

The prices on their site for shift knobs, emblems, etc seem to be extremely well priced, so check it out!

IMG00023-20090430-0944.jpg

I did get to take a few pictures yesterday, too. If you guys think being slammed is gonna make my car impractical, you're WRONG! WRONG, I TELL YOU!!! We had a few big shipments come in at work, so we had a lot of cardboard that needed to be taken to the dumpsters around back of the complex. Rather than WALK, I folded down my rear seats, and piled it in!

IMG00021-20090429-1930.jpg

Here's the other shot I took. Whoops! Need to find a way AROUND that speed bump... But it does show my new lug nuts and some of the polishing I did on the wheels, too!

IMG00022-20090429-1934.jpg

Anybody local to NorCal should think about scheduling May 31'st as a free, open day and drive out to Sacramento. Kait and I are hosting our second meet/bbq/potluck at Rusch Park in Citrus Heights.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=11604

http://forum.ratsun.net/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-5-31&c=1

If you want to see the turnout we had last month:

http://www.twistedimages.com/bbqmeet/index.htm

We need more Datsun love! Pull out your 510's and Z's, and Roadsters if you want! We need to represent!

did your KA have enough power to move that cardboard? :)

It's a truck motor with gobs of torque, it moved it! But it moved it GENTLY! I still need to cut the floor for more differential clearance...

Im out of it,just noticed the chrome vent shades. Very old school there :thumbup: New stance looks good too. Makes me wanna drop mine a bit more.

Yeah! dreamers_vault sent them from Malaysia for me. I want to clean them up a bit more, and polish them out, but for now, they're fine! Thanks about the stance, it's LOOOOWWWWW! Still needs a HAIR more massaging so it doesn't rub around quick turns with bumps in them!

**Sorry, Ratsun! I posted this on Zilvia first, so I know some of it seems like common sense, I'm just too lazy to type it twice!**

I was worried for a moment... Chris' 510 bummed out, James' cars all bummed out, Kait's 'vert bummed out, Kelly's 510 is still under the knife and not making tracks... What about my project car?!

Nah, still spinning like a top!

The past few days have been busy, busy, busy for me! I got some Nismo extended wheel studs, and started putting them on...

Comparison to stock 280zx studs:

IMG_1369.jpg

Disassemble the rotor:

IMG_1367.jpg

Money shot!

IMG_1365.jpg

The fronts went together just fine, but the rear axle shaft wouldn't slide out of the axle, so I wasn't able to install the rear studs quite yet. However, they'll go on sooner than later, I'm making a date of next Monday/Tuesday to finish up the studs. Everyone makes such a big deal about how they're so hard to install and pull in, but I had no issues... Open ended lug nut, washer, deep socket..... Done!

Sadly, though, my Ray's locking nuts can't be used, as they're not open-ended, and won't work on the extended studs. Bummer! Anybody that's looking for some barely used (Maybe 20-30 miles on them?) Ray's nuts in red, hit me up!

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/254845-fs-ft-rays-locking-lug-nuts-red-100-a.html

Next on the list of things to purchase (besides the new motor/supercharger stuffs) is some slotted/drilled rotors, and maybe next time I swing by Pick N Pull, they'll have the aluminum drum covers from a Z... I saw them there a few times, but never bothered to pick them up

Today was productive as well! Because I'm still using leaf springs, and not using trac-bars or anything to keep it locked down... and on top of that I've got 2.5" lowering blocks... I've got a great deal of axle wrap, and the differential smacks itself against the floor all too easily. It's a common problem in 510 wagons, and I'm sure in other cars, too!

The solution on the cheap is to cut a hole in the floor under the back seats, and make a cover for it. So that's just what I did! No pictures of the hole, as Chris and I were trying to finish before it rained, but here are some pics of the final product.

Seat down, just a small lift in the back that still needs to be massaged down:

IMG_1375.jpg

Seat up, carpet down, still can't see much difference:

IMG_1372.jpg

I used 3 separate pieces of sheet metal to make the cover. Home Depot only had the thickness of steel I wanted in 6"x18" sheets, so we bought two and got to work. I was going to paint it black, but I honestly kind of like the raw finish, so I'll probably just clear coat the bare metal so it won't rust out in the next 5 minutes!

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

All we used were a few hammers and a rag, and I pounded it all into shape. A few sheetmetal screws to hold it together, then I welded it up. Not a professional job, maybe, but it works! No more banging the diff on the floor, even under clutch kicks!

Between the tunnel being cut and me grinding/pounding the rest of the arches out of the way yesterday, the only problem I have is my front struts bottoming out over heavy bumps, and the rear shocks bottoming out over the same. Time to get more suspension travel and go an inch lower!!

The Boso Goon BREadbox mobile is caravaning to Lathrop for the swap meet on the 16th. Anybody else who wants to join in, PM me or post up. We're heading out of the Sacramento area, probably around 9am or so. Let me know if we're passing by you and you wanna meet up with us somewhere, and we'll pick ya up!

Estimated group so far is me in the Boso Goon, Kelly in his Carbon Fiber Attack! 510 four door, Chris in the Holy Shit Fitment Orange two door, and Kait in her 240sx Chickvertible. Hoping to pick up a few other people, be they Datsun or Nissan heads.

PS. I'm still looking for a Bluebird Grill, so let me know if you have one for sale in decent shape.

Coilovers ARE easy! Bearing Clamps (thanks Ratsun.net for the info!), Ground Control adjustable sleeves, Eibach 300# springs on 280zx struts.

It's the powdercoating on the struts, control arms, crossmember and custom adjustable T/C rods that make things look good!

EDIT: I just REALLY need to clean and do something with my calipers! Drilled and slotted rotors are coming up soon, too (next paycheck, perhaps?!) Make the suspension look even better... Even though with the Hayashi's on, you can't see anything!

Thanks, man! It always amazes me when people give me compliments on my car.. it really hasn't been that hard! It's a lot of time, love, devotion, but nothing was that hard. I've done nearly everything on this car with MY hands, not someone else's!

That being said, I tossed in some Amsoil tranny fluid yesterday, and let me tell ya... this stuff is the shit! I love it! Every KA I've driven has something against 1st and reverse gears... Mine was no different until yesterday. No more grinding reverse and "popping" into 1st! I won't go with anything else again! I also replaced my oil with some Castrol GTX 10w40 because I'm having an issue with a little leaking oil. Got rid of the 10w30 and it seems to have helped, though it could be my imagination.

Today, aside from getting NorCalDime (Chris) back on the road in his 2 door and roasting a bit of his tire (thanks for the test drive, Chris!), I replaced all the vaccuum caps on my intake manifold. And I started polishing the HELL out of some parts that needed attention, like my Malaysian Window Visors. I still have a lot of work to do to make them shine like mirrors, but they're better than they were and I got rid of a lot of the scratches. I also started on the oil cooler, though I'm not really looking for a mirror shine on that. It just cleans up a bit nicer than it was.

The car is ready for the drive to Lathrop, and those that are coming out, make sure to toast a beer with me!

you get that fender brow put on yet? haha.. i am still working on the gasket removal :( i am still trying to get to the meet with ya guys.. jus tnot 100% sure... hopefully i can talk someone into letting me cruise down with them ;)

you get that fender brow put on yet? haha.. i am still working on the gasket removal :( i am still trying to get to the meet with ya guys.. jus tnot 100% sure... hopefully i can talk someone into letting me cruise down with them ;)

You better come to the meet!!!!

Id let you ride with me but the wife is comin with me. Im sure you can get sean to take you down.

i am prolly out guys..... the old lady is working i think,,,, an dif she is she takes the car :( . i dont have any green right now anyway, so i would prolly go down and get bummed over a str8 fender haha..... and i got the gasket off!!! intake back on.... maybe start the wiring tomorrow...

Well we've got a late night ahead of us tonight... Kelly's car is STILL on jack stands. Chris is bringing over some Nismo headers that we need to test fit, mount, and pipedream it over to the existing pipe that's on there. Then we've got to mount the intake, replumb it, bolt the steering linkage back in place, drop it on its tires and pray it fires!

Chris, thanks in advance for the help!

The Lathrop meet should be super fun! We've got a bit of a caravan in the works. Anybody from up North, in the Sacramento area OR down South a ways, we're going to be taking I-5 south to get there, so if you're along our route, hit us up!

Meeting at my house (PM me for an address/directions) around 8:30am,

Leaving by hopefully 9am,

Picking up another 510'er around 9:30am @ McDonalds: 8940 Pocket Rd, Sacramento

Getting to DatsLoco by around 10:30am

Cracking open a few beers and spending money on shit we totally don't need, getting burnt and overall having a great time until we all get too tired and go home!

Let me know if anybody else wants in on our SWEET PARTY TRAIN TO LATHROP!!

Sean - Boso Goon

Kelly (XeroX) - Carbon Fiber ATTACK! Four Door

Chris (NorCalDime) - HolyShit-Fitment Two Door

Greg - DAT WUN KA WAGUN KIDZ

Kait (KA-Kait) - '93 240sx Chickvertible

EDIT: I'm bringing two pairs of fenders and a trunk lid down with me, as well as (most likely) 2 1" sway bars and maybe some other fun stuff. Let me know if you're calling dibbs on anything, I'll give priority to Ratsun members, and let the other fools suffer!!

Edited by WagDatto

As far as updates for the goon, I've got some Goon Squad stickers on their way, and I'll put on my JDM stickers, my "Real Drifters" sticker, the Goon Squad stickers and maybe one or two other goodies too...

I started re-polishing my window visors the other day, as well as painting the inner "arm rest sill" portion of the doors color matching the outside. I'll also polish a few other goodies, too, like my grille surround trim pieces, a few bits on my oil cooler, my side mirror and glass, and the rear windshield trim.

Last, but largest updates, will be my latest purchases (when I get my paycheck). Next Monday or Tuesday, I send payment for a Bluebird GL grille that needs VERY MINOR refinishing. To be completely honest, I'll probably only remove the metal grille and have it media blasted and either polished or painted. Maybe some light sanding and respraying on the bezels to get them looking better too.

I've also got my eyes on some euro blinkers, but I might hold off until after the swap meet, just in case there's a better deal on them. I think euro blinkers look awesome with the Bluebird grille setup, but just a little hokey with anything else.

To add onto the Boso image, as well as the JDM-Tyte image, I'm keeping a keen eye out for a JAF badge as well. For those that don't know, the Japanese Automotive Federation is basically a JDM AAA, but they give you a pretty fresh emblem to put on your car.

Last, but... actually first, I'm buying a roof rack tonight. I found a killer deal on a set of Yakima rain gutter mounts and 48" crossbars (which is perfect for a 510, just a hair wider than roof). I'm also getting a hookup on a 44" fairing, which should clean things up quite a bit, too, as well as give me a place to put more stickers! My dad has some longer crossbars sitting in the shed, as well as higher gutter mounts, so I might do 3 cross bars all the way across the roof of the wagon, which I think would be pretty snazzy as well!

I'll post pictures!