510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

Well the injector I replaced has a leaky o-ring, and it flooded the cylinder pretty good. I ran out of light tonight, so I'll take another swing at it tomorrow.

We'll see what happens, but I have a feeling I have a few issues.

One issue I think I have is a loose ground, and I'm still hunting for that.

Another is the leaky injector

Last was the TPS.

I think with all the fiddling I've done, I knocked a ground loose, which is why the car didn't want to start this morning. When I replaced the TPS, it probably fixed the issues I was having, but the leaky injector made it seem like I was still having problems.

I've checked the distributor, there's no issues with it.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet.... So I let the car sit with no spark plugs in it, and the throttle wide open all night because of the flooded intake/cylinders. Cranked the car a few time to spit as much fuel out as I could, but the damage is done. Either bent valves or bent rods... or both.

Hydrolocked my motor because I'm an IDIOT and didn't even think to check the injector before I installed it. Compression dove from 180psi across the board (PERFECT) to 120,90,120,120. I need to take the poor thing out of commission, get a head (in case it is the valves) and snort a whole canoe full of coke, so I can rebuild my motor in less than 5 hours.

Done deal.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so much has happened since my last upsetting post. I thought my motor was ruined, but fortunately, I was just being a downer!

The compression immediately after I spit fuel from the cylinders was low... but it was because the lubrication/oil on the cylinder walls was washed away from the gasoline that flooded my motor. However, the car still wouldn't start...

I cranked the motor a few times, then cleaned the spark plugs... I cycled through that way for a few minutes, but decided it couldn't be fouled plugs.

At this point, I'd replaced a bad injector, the throttle position sensor, and spark plugs/wires and it hadn't changed anything. I'd already tested the MAF, and it was known to be good. The only thing I could think, since I was getting fuel and the compression was good enough, is that it must be spark related. Hooking a timing light to each of the wires proved that it was a distributor issue. I replaced the cap, and that didn't fix things, so I bought a used dist. from a buddy and hooked it up.

Immediate progress, the car started to stumble to life and smoke out the exhaust (presumably all the fuel in the cylinders from not enough spark!!). Finally the car started running, and after a few sputters, it was revving just like normal!!!

I changed the oil (it smelled HORRIBLY of fuel!!), cleaned the spark plugs once more and re-tested all the injectors just in case, and everything is good to go. The car has been running WAY better than before, it's a noticeable difference from what it felt like over the past few months.

Now it's time to fix the issue I had with my tires rubbing in the rear. Because I'm so low with zero camber (silly Wagons!), I'd been hammering the wheel wells out, with good success. However, I still had a little more pounding to go... Before my car broke down, I'd bought a heavier sledge, and it was time to use it... I went to town, nailing down all the little bumps and creases that could cause an issue... to the point that I separated the "sleeved" metal at the top of the arch! When I went to close the door, I laughed because this is exactly what I'd wanted to happen! I ended up having to "flare" my door a little bit to get them to close!

Flared door! Huzzah!

IMG00071-20090702-2006.jpg

Clearance

IMG00072-20090702-2006.jpg

A few months ago, I started a few projects with painting that I never got around to finishing. Yesterday, I started finishing them! The first was "blacking out" the window frames. Since wagons have a giant black weatherstrip around the rear cargo windows, as well as a giant chrome "loop" surrounding the side windows, my brother suggested that it would look awesome to paint the window frames black. I did the passenger rear door a while back, but never finished the rest... Yesterday, I painted both sides fully, and it makes the car look longer and lower. I like it a lot. I'll post better pictures later on.

Blacked out

IMG00078-20090707-1320.jpg

The other project I started was the insides of the doors. When I painted my car red/white, I left the interior alone. Everything was still Pea Green inside. I decided it was finally time to finish things off.

Before:

IMG00039-20090519-1536.jpg

After:

IMG00040-20090519-1604.jpg

IMG00038-20090519-1517.jpg

Today, I decided to finish off the interior by carrying the red/gold around the cargo area, as well as paint my wheel tubs black to clean things up a little.

However, no Ratsuneer is worth a penny without a good mean in his belly... So I made myself a hearty breakfast. I make a mean omelette, in case you were wondering...

IMG00042-20090526-1026.jpg

Then I got to painting....

Before:

IMG00075-20090707-1249.jpg

After:

IMG00076-20090707-1320.jpg

IMG00077-20090707-1320.jpg

IMG00079-20090707-1356.jpg

No, the painting is NOT done, nor will I finish it any time soon... To be completely honest, I love the way it looks now, even though it isn't finished. I need to set some time aside later this year to have someone hammer out the dents in my roof. Then I'll finish the painting on the inside and get a black headliner installed with some sound deadening on the roof. The roof makes a TON of noise, and that's what I'll probably focus on soon, is getting some tar mats up there.

That's it for today, let me know what you think!

Again, the reason I went with gold is because I have a gold shift knob coming in, my steering wheel is gold...ish, and my motor that I'm STILL building is gold. It stands out as a good contrast to the rest of my car, I think!

Plus I'm painting my engine bay white... GASP!! :eek::eek:

I like the gold. Gold wheels to match?

Haha, no. I like gold, but not enough to make it my wheel color again! I went that route with the old snowflakes I used to have...

Eventually, I will be cutting a large portion of my quarter panels and doors to rivet some big ol' Boso flares on the sides... At that point, I'll have a set of aggressive wheels to put on, and the plan is to either paint them a bright Teal Blue or a Mint Chocolate Chip green... Something to really stand out and scream "loooook at meeeeee!!"

As my brother said, I must not have gotten hugged enough as a kid, so I crave the attention now...

One thing I forgot to mention, is I'm planning on building a harness bar/structure bar for the rear of the 'goon... Wagon Jon suggested I look into making something that bolts onto the "rear seat clasp" section. He said it's a night and day difference compared to without it, so I'm gonna make some plates in the next few weeks, and have it double as a harness bar so I can pick up some new belts for the front seats!

hmmm... i may have to make one of those bars as well if it makes that much of a difference.

Will be interesting to see how those flares come out. I have contemplated on flares for my wagon so i can fit some fat tires in the back, but don't know how they would look on the wagon.

Good to see your doing it first! :D

Something to really stand out and scream "loooook at meeeeee!!"

As my brother said, I must not have gotten hugged enough as a kid, so I crave the attention now...

you should choose PINK then. :fu:

what wheels BTW?

neither of those colors goes well with your red/white theme.

white w/red stripe on the lip???

red w/white stripe on the lip???

you should choose PINK then. :fu:

what wheels BTW?

neither of those colors goes well with your red/white theme.

white w/red stripe on the lip???

red w/white stripe on the lip???

I haven't chosen EXACTLY what model, but I'm starting to look closer at what's available. They'll be Diamond Racing Wheels (check the lineup here: http://diamondracingwheels.com/ ). They're basically a "steelie" that you can customize to your own size and offset and bolt pattern. They're cheap, they're light, they're different, and they're race proven.

I'm not really looking to follow the red/white/gold theme that I've got going on. The "look" I'm going for with this car is Bosozoku. A crazy, off-the-wall style that I can cater to fit how practical I need the car to be for me, as well as how wild I want it to be...

Plus, with how much red and white my car currently has, I want to stay away from either. Gold would be too over-done and too much of an easy choice for me to paint them. I WANT them to not match the car.

Pink was on my mind, but I think it might be too much... I'll play with some photoshopping later.. The problem is that the WHOLE wheel will be painted, not just spokes or centers or lips...

The "look" I'm going for with this car is Bosozoku. A crazy, off-the-wall style that I can cater to fit how practical I need the car to be for me, as well as how wild I want it to be...

:thumbup:

maybe a darker blue than teal then, something sparkly (=metallic)

teal w/ orange? (then throw in a miami dolphin sun ;) )

id go with black, but then that defeats the purpose if it matches the tires...

why not go full goofy ass JDM, and do two colors? dark blue anodized on back , basic yellow on front... HAHHA

We'll see.... I'm still a little ways off from being ready to flare the rear. Priority now is to build the motor and get it running with a blower! Once that's done, though, I'm deciding on either sheet metal or fiberglass to widen the rear.

I might try fiberglass to start, because I've never done it before, and because it'll be easier to try to match both sides, and mock up with foam shapes before I actually have to cut the car apart. As for wheel size, I don't think I'm going to go any bigger than 15x8, but the wheels will be pretty deep into a negative offset. I might go staggered for a little more aggressive fitment in the back, or I might pick up a set of front fenders (steel), and do flares up front too! All I know is these wheels I have are SUNKEN BATTLESHIP FITMENT under BRE flares!

I like it!

Here are some pictures maybe for cool ideas?

http://inokoshientotsu.hp.infoseek.co.jp/newpage290.html

Can't wait for my boso roadster to be drivable.

Boso roadster?! PM me a link to some pictures!! Thanks for the link, too!! I've seen a lot of those pics before, but never organized together. I liked finding a few 510 pics in the mix, but I didn't see any crazy boso-dimes.... Hmmm...

i might of missed this, but does all this mean your going to be selling your wheels?

Haha, you wish!

No, these wheels are on loan from my older brother. He, coincidentally, picked up a little 2 door Ratsun the other day, and he'll probably snake them back from me when I replace them.

These wheels won't leave the family. Sorry, champ!

Haha, you wish!

No, these wheels are on loan from my older brother. He, coincidentally, picked up a little 2 door Ratsun the other day, and he'll probably snake them back from me when I replace them.

These wheels won't leave the family. Sorry, champ!

ha, i had to try

Boso roadster?! PM me a link to some pictures!! Thanks for the link, too!! I've seen a lot of those pics before, but never organized together. I liked finding a few 510 pics in the mix, but I didn't see any crazy boso-dimes.... Hmmm...

Yeah so far the plan is ZG flairs, Work Equip 01's in 13" (one peice not 2) and my own styling of the BRE paintjob in wacky japanese colors. Will have performance in mind.

I'm mad because my hello kitty exhaust tips didn't come in from thailand.:lol:

Any ideas on what you'll be doing for your exhaust? Any plans for airhorns or the stuff that makes the car truely Bosozoku being loud and obnoxious in the wee hours of the morn?