510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

Violent Running Tribe (the sticker on my windshield) is a english translation of the word Bosozoku, so yeah... My mind is made up. I want to flare the rear, drop the car about 2" front and rear and finish the oil cooler setup.

Speaking of which, yes. I did get some progress done today before it starting POURING RAIN on us. Big thanks in advance to NorCalDime (Chris), too, for letting me use his morning and his tools. And his big hammers... Bending steel has never been so entertaining!

The brackets still need some work. It sits a little cock-eyed and I need to slot the mounting holes so I can adjust the angle it sits at, but those will both be easy now that it's mounted and I can toy with it on the car. I'll also need some big rubber isolators to reduce the vibration on the unit itself.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True to my word, I did get more work done on the Ole Goon...

For the first time since I got rid of those ugly fenders I used to have, I have my eyebrow trim pieces mounted! The problem I had is the fiberglass fenders have no mounting holes and they're just oddly-shaped enough that the trim pieces I have (which are both slightly bent up, which doesn't help) won't line up correctly. Tonight, I just used some muscle and a few self-tapping screws and put them on. That also meant I had to remove the paint on the hood trim so I'd have the full sha-bang!

Rather than stop there, though, I measured, test fitted, measured again, and cut the stainless line I picked up for my oil cooler setup! Masking tape and a good cutoff wheel make things like this pretty trivial!

The lines aren't hooked up to anything... yet! This week, I'm going to try to mount the remote filter so I'm one step closer, and then I MIGHT do the full setup, though I'm not sure yet... Time will tell, but I'll keep you guys updated!

a007.jpg

a008.jpg

a010.jpg

a011.jpg

The oil cooler sits level, though I'd still like to slot the holes a PINCH more to make it angle down just a hair more than it is. We'll see if I can get to that this week.

I started preparing my engine bay for some real attention, too. Since the weather's nice, I think I'm going to roll with no hood for a few days. I want to sand and repaint my Rising Sun pattern, as well as black out the underside (instead of faded, 40 year old butterscotch paint!). I did some general cleaning on the strut towers, and then finally painted the top of my core support to match the body color. I even painted a few smaller details white to go with the red/white theme on the car so far!

a003.jpg

a004.jpg

a005.jpg

As far as lines, it's not fully hooked up yet. So far, it's insanely easy, and I don't see that changing. Since I didn't want to use a sandwich plate, I decided to go with a new oil block for the KA:

http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/236376-skull-bones-ka-oil-adaptor-block-introductory-group-buy.html

with a remote filter and that's that. It's three lines: From oil block to remote filter. From remote filter to oil cooler. From oil cooler to block.

As far as lights, I'm using HID's in some new housings. The setup would run you about $130ish plus shipping from FBI. I used to work there (my brother is the General Manager, and a Datsun freak)

http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=8858 (Housings)

http://www.fbirides.com/shopping_department.asp?cat_idno=256681 (HID Kit)

EDIT: The housings don't have the built-up tabs on the back of them like stock does. This means they're loose when you install them. I used some stick-on velcro patches (three per housing) and have had ZERO problems. Velcro pushes them far enough out that the headlight rings keep them snug!

As far as lines, it's not fully hooked up yet. So far, it's insanely easy, and I don't see that changing. Since I didn't want to use a sandwich plate, I decided to go with a new oil block for the KA:

http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/236376-skull-bones-ka-oil-adaptor-block-introductory-group-buy.html

with a remote filter and that's that. It's three lines: From oil block to remote filter. From remote filter to oil cooler. From oil cooler to block.

I have that Skull and Bone Oil block (I haven't installed it yet), well worth it.

IMG_0702a.jpg

Love it. What's sad is that in MA that wouldn't pass inspection because all cars have to pass safety (not emissions before 89 though:)) And they would nail me on the headlights. Gotta have high and low.

Yeah, there are hi/lo kits out there. I got a great deal on these (BIRTHDAY!!) and they put out a ton of light for everyday driving. Even in other cars I've owned, I rarely use the hi-beams, so I decided not to even bother. I'm thinking of hooking the hi-beam switch to the city light, just because.

a003.jpg

The inner headlight has a small bulb in it as well as the regular bulb. When it's on, it lights the housing up with a soft blue light. Kinda cool looking, thought not for all the time. (It's not on in the picture, I linked it to show the bulb)

Edited by WagDatto

Oh! Almost forgot. I already know what "look" I'm going for with the flares. I thought long and hard about making a typical BRE flare work and look good. On a wagon, though, I think they're way too small. I thought about ZG flares, and even the WIDER ZG flares, and I think they're just too... small. They stick out PLENTY, but they just look so insignificant on the side of a wagon.

Every time I search Bosozoku on google images, there's a 510 that pops up on the first page, and it's BRE "styled" but still fairly Boso, and that's the look I want. Not so wild that I can't drive the car and ruin the old school pedigree that the 510 has, but just wild enough to stick out!

510BLUEBIRD.jpg

That 510 has plenty of style, but the rear flares on it are a bit bigger and more aggressive than BRE style. I wish I could find more pictures of it (if you have some, post them!!). In any case, here's a better picture of the type of flare that I want:

2005massuru199.jpg

It'll start down at the rockers and end at the bottom of the quarter panel on the other side of the wheel well. Mine will be a bit toned down from that, obviously, but it's a great picture of what I'm going for.

As far as exhaust, I flanged mine just after the axle, so I'm able to remove my muffler and add on a test pipe, or a different muffler or whatever I want, but still be able to go back to what I have now for less attention. I'm thinking of doing some twin pipes coming out from under the quarter panel and angling up along the body toward the hatch.

Can a mod change my title to:

510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

FTW. If anybody local is interested, there will be a decent-sized BBQ/Potluck this Sunday in Antelope (Tetotom Park) that I'm kind of hosting. We've got about 20-25 sign ups on Zilvia, with some "me and my buddy" signings. It should be gorgeous outside, so take a drive out and help me represent Datsuns in the S-Chassis dominated crowd!

http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-states/246233-sacramento-april-2009-meet-bbq-potluck.html

Thanks, Fisch, you rock. I still want to do some pinstriping and small, hardly noticible, detail work because of your truck! Inspiring! And yeah, that 510 is rad, I want to find more pictures and details on it. I'm guessing SR20DET, but who knows!

i just love looking at my motor. now it only needs to be in my car.

Haha! I'm HOPING to get it in there in May, and then you can have the old one!. I'm trying to get it to my brother's house this weekend so assembly can take place, then it's all fab work from there on out. The other 510'er doing the KA-R swap is going to see about making another adapter plate for the supercharger. If I get that, I still need to make a tensioner pulley that will work as an alternator mount, too, but I envision that being pretty straightforward.

Im imagining your goon combined with the looks of that 510.......

....its lookin pretty badass :fu:

Thanks! I'm getting pretty excited. If the shaft collars get here this week, I'm hoping to drop the 'Goon on its nuts on Saturday so it'll be slammed for the BBQ/Show this Sunday! I'm picking up some 2" blocks tomorrow morning, and I still have my 2.5" blocks... I think 2.5" will be too low (at least until I modify my diff tunnel for clearance), but it might be JUST right!

Lookin good for sure!! It now has a way more agressive look.

Thank you! That's EXACTLY what I'm going for! I just want something that's borderline impractical, but still accepted in the 510 community, and makes people wonder WTF it is!