510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I didn't get much work done today. I drove from Sacramento all the way out to Santa Rosa to pick up the underdash A/C unit. By the time I got back in town, I was a bit worn out already from sitting on my ass in the car all morning! I basically worked on organizing the storage unit more than anything else. I cleaned up the supercharger a little bit, though it could use a few more scrubs before I'm ready to polish/paint it.

I'm thinking polished intake manifold, polished adapter plate, polished supercharger... But maybe gold supercharger? Gold intake?

GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS, GUYS!

In any case, the supercharger is fucking heavy... I tried to take some pics of it, but it's hard to hold at arm's length to snap a good cell-phone shot with.

Size comparison (measuring top of oil pan goes to valve cover! Fuck your soda cans, turbo kids!)

SCSize.jpg

Weaksauce Mockup? Just a taste...

SCMock.jpg

Wow, that thing is pretty damn big.

As for color/finish my vote is for something with a satin-ish finish. Either brushed or glass beaded would be cool. I just don't like the look of polished stuff...but that's just me.

I think (after discussing it with several women... they always have good taste for these things!) that the supercharger will be painted gold, same as the motor. The intake manifold and adapter plate will be polished aluminum, as well as the front covers.

To my knowledge, mine will be the only 510 with a supercharged KA in it, and I want to make it "different" under the hood in subtle ways. Polished aluminum isn't my FAVORITE color, but it's fucking pretty when there's not much of it in your face. I think with the flat black engine bay, and a gold block, that some shiney polished items will make everything REALLY pop out.

I honestly wouldn't mind a pink car, so long as it was done right. I think it's an insanely powerful color.

That being said, There isn't much pink about my car (save for the Hello Kitty horn button!). As far as matching what colors I'm using so far, I think gold on the supercharger is going to work well. If not, I'll strip it off and make it some other color!

Personally I love a buffed out aluminum and one other accent color, like red or black, or anything really. Pink even (well maybe not pink, though my 6 year old would approve!)

Though speaking of Hello Kitty, what'd be killer is to go with a a secondary Sanrio character theme, like Badtz-Maru. THe grouchy little penguin. I'd be way into that!

s320x240

Fisch, you read my mind! I'd been thinking about doing something with that character. Penguins are by far my favorite animals, and he might have to find his way into my car somewhere.

Bonvo, as for WHY Hello Kitty... The 510 is a cute, somewhat feminine Japanese car. Hello Kitty meets all of those standards (except car, obviously). Plus, mixing a small ammount of pink into your car gets things to stand out. Like I said, it's a very powerful color that makes people look closer. If you see ONE small little accent like that in the car, people tend to look closely at everything else to try to find MORE of them. And more attention is better.

Just look at the "Oil Drop" truck! Tons of little accents keep you staring and trying to find them all.

It was a big day for me. I took the head off of my first ever motor! I'd never torn a motor down to the headgasket, so this is definitely into foreign territory for me! I also tried mounting the underdash A/C unit... I was wondering if somebody had some insight for me. The vent pullers (under speedo and next to glove box) hit the A/C unit. Anybody know how that's taken care of in these cars?

IMG_1252.jpg

Cylinder sleeves still look prime:

IMG_1254.jpg

So yeah, all the front covers are off and are going to be polished either by me... or more likely, I'll get frustrated and pay somebody else to do them. We'll see...

Wagon full of parts ready for polish, paint, powdercoat, mockup and other general nonsense:

IMG_1256.jpg

I've got some ARP head studs on their way to me, and I'll be ordering a Cometic multilayer steel headgasket soon, too. I need to cut a few "templates" out of 1/2" wood to I can start toying with the supercharger, too. I need to figure out an exact mounting location once I have the head bolted back on there. I'm planning on at least checking out the rod main bearings, though I'll probably just replace them with new ones for the hell of it. Last on the list is replacing the timing chains and guides (KA's are notorious for breaking the chain guide and letting it rattle around behind the covers).

I also want to swap the cams for S13 cams, as they'll give me a bit better duration, which will be nice when I'm supercharged.

I snapped a few shots of the 'goon when I was at the storage units, too. No more camera phone photos! And they're in daylight! Boy howdy, I can hardly believe myself! Excuse the fact that my car is FILTHY right now... It needs a bath (tomorrow morning!)

IMG_1257.jpg

Bosozoku/Violent Running Tribe

IMG_1258.jpg

Peep the SWEET window visors!

IMG_1259.jpg

Edited by WagDatto

Almost forgot!

The RX-7 oil cooler should be here sometime near the middle of this week, so I'm going to look into getting it mounted up with some "dummy" lines for the time being.

oilcooler2.jpg

oilcooler5.jpg

Should I leave it a little rusty for an evil look, or clean it up? It's like 2 feet long anyway, so it's going to look evil either way... Give me your thoughts!

A sedan would have made for SO much less headache, and still would (considering I'm NOT DONE with the rear suspension still!), but the wagon has been nothing short of amazing to me so far. I've been toying with the idea of a 4-link setup out back with some short coils... But I want to finish my motor swap first.

Thanks, Goki! I'm loving it more and more every day. I swapped in the nice spark plugs I found in the new motor to replace my crappy Autolite ones and the car ROARS now! I'd been meaning to get new plugs for a while, and just never gotten around to it, but now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I have no doubt that I just breathed new life into this pig...

The past three days have been a lot of daydreaming for me because I've been too tired/sore/busy to work on my own car. KA-Kait needed a new clutch in the 'vert, so I opted to help her out. I won't do it again. No fun. Still sore.

Me wearing her new sweatshirt to find out what size I'd need, happy before the clutch job started:

IMG_1264.jpg

Me pretty much fed up with the whole ordeal, giving her the finger. This was me pretty much all of day 2.

IMG_1266.jpg

Today, though, I had a chance to go out and pick up some goodies for my oil filter/cooler/relocation setup! -AN fittings and line adds up QUICK, as I'm sure you all know if you've done any brake lines/fuel lines/oil lines. Sooooo worth it, though! It's not even put together yet, but it looks like sex!

The whole shebang!

IMG_1270.jpg

Before:

oilcooler4.jpg

After:

IMG_1271.jpg

Skull and Bones oil block:

IMG_1272.jpg

Oil filter remote mount:

IMG_1273.jpg

Hello Kitty Bank approves!

IMG_1274.jpg

I'm going to mount the remote mount and pick up a filter for it, and see about fabbing up some mounts for the cooler. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm going to slot the ends to be able to chance the angle that it's mounted at. Stock RX-7 is mounted around 30-40*, I think, so I'll be able to toy with it to make it look tough, but mount properly, too. I'll also be tossing new rubber isolators and better mounts (probably paint them, too) because of the custom application.

Got the ARP Head Studs and Cometic multi-layer steel head gasket, as well as a new full timing kit with new guides and tensioners. I'm going to finish cleaning up the covers (ages better than they were, but I'll probably take them somewhere for a professional polish, mine just aren't gleaming the way I want!). Once the covers are all set, the motor goes back together. In the mean time, I need to make a plate for the supercharger.

And how!

Last night, my 350z dash vents came in, so today I wanted to see if I needed to break/modify anything to fit them in. The installation rates at a measly 1 star out of 5 for difficulty.

The hardest part of the operation was taking off the glove box and gauge cluster surround.

Pop the two screws off the back that hold the stock vent in place. Push the stock vent out. Break the plastic "bar" that runs across the back (350z vents push further back and that needs to be removed). Bend the 350z "hold tabs" if wanted (it will hold the new vent snugger inside the stock pin-down). Reinstall the dash and you're done.

I dig it. The reason I wanted to do this is to install my underdash unit and not worry about the fresh air pullers making it a hassle.

Pictures!

The nice thing is I can easily rotate these in any direction without an issue, but the stock ones were kind of... sticking in there and I couldn't spin them as easy. Especially on the pass. side, it was a hassle while I was driving.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

**DISCLAIMER**

This installation may not be as easy for those of you who do not have Hello Kitty watching over your work place.

Made some templates for my oil cooler brackets and did some general organizing in the storage unit this morning. Kait cruised over to the units to hang out, and after lunch, we decided to go for a cruise. Those of you that were there for my cruise about a year ago will remember it. Great drive to a small town called Penryn. The road there is full of twisties and a giant tunnel at the end that makes any car sound amazing.

Snapped a few pictures along the way at some pretty cool locations, too, which I'd been meaning to do. I'll update ABOUT the car tomorrow when I (hopefully) get my oil cooler setup mounted and run.

Kait keeping time:

IMG_1298.jpg

Riding ass and pulling hair:

IMG_1281.jpg

Smile!

IMG_1278.jpg

Crappy aim, but I kinda dig the shot

IMG_1280.jpg

Taking a peek

IMG_1282.jpg

Old, broke-down street vendor:

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

Griffith Quarry Park (destination achieved!)

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

Trip back, detour

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Horses

IMG_1293.jpg

Ass Ended

IMG_1294.jpg

Wind Blown trip home