Mindy....

inline4

so after parts gathering and a year of sitting and a few mishaps, Mindy has started to take shape.

here she is after I bought her a new pair of shoes

CIMG0225.jpg

these parts sat for about a year after a few screwups on my part

IMG_2609Small.jpg

her brains (thanks jeff! once she's running, more will go to your paypal like I said :o)

IMG_0279.jpg

and heres Mindy's new set of tits, the guy who sold me the motor said the motor is tits...

IMG_1779Small.jpg

tranny mount is off, I need to have dgr fix it...

IMG_1783Small.jpg

fellow ratsun'er agentalpha giving her a boob job(he isn't so bad after all guys haha)

IMG_1787Small.jpg

I have a month to get the car running or face another 3 years or so with the car sitting and rotting away, so a big thank you goes out to chris since i'm pretty much an observer.

Edited by inline4
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Mindy is her name!:D

I was wondering that!

:lol:

And you don't give yourself enough credit, Joe!!

Those extra set of hands, your strong back,

and your wallet have come in VERY handy!

It's going very well, the hard part is done,

and I've met a heckuva guy.

I'm glad to be helping you out, Bro!

Lotsa fun!

Be sure to tell yer boy that fabbed(NICE work on those, BTW!)

the trans crossmember needs to be moved @ 1 1/4" (1.25").

Hard to see that in the pic.

Edited by agentalpha
Nice!! I'm glad to help, don't worry about the money, spend it on some parts for Mindy :D

thanks!

a few questions if anyone can chime in...

what kind of radiator do I need to pick up to make this all work?

also if I use 280zx struts, I don't need to shorten them if I don't want to right? just bumpsteer spacers?

as far as the o2 sensor goes, what would be the easiest way to have it relocated? just on the other side of the stock exhaust manifold? or can I buy a cheap ka header and have it chopped off at wherever it hits and make it work?

or will it no clear either way?

compression used a vw rabit radiator in his ka powered 610 and reports no issues there is also the ford focus radiator

also if I use 280zx struts, I don't need to shorten them if I don't want to right? just bumpsteer spacers?

this depends on how low you wanna go you dont have to shorten them but if you plan to really lower the car they need to be shortend

as far as the o2 sensor goes, what would be the easiest way to have it relocated? just on the other side of the stock exhaust manifold? or can I buy a cheap ka header and have it chopped off at wherever it hits and make it work?

i have seen people get away with just flipping it to the other side of the manifold

now keep in mind i personally have not done the struts or the o2 sensor but this is information i have come accros over the year or so i have been on ratsun and alot of people will back it up i have personally done the rabbit radiator swap it works fine but the rabbit radiator cap holds up to 20 psi the stock system runs on 13 i wouls sugest an in line filler in the upper radiator hose with a stock cap to keep the pressure where the motor will like it

I used a VW rabit radiator with the "no cap option" and used an in-line Moroso radiator cap (so the cap is now the highest point in cooling system and bleeding isn't an issue anymore). I've had ZERO problems with cooling except my own mistakes.

I use 280zx struts as well. If you use some adjustable sleeves and springs (eibach kit), you can grind off the existing spring perch and weld on your own to get as low as you want. At some point though, your struts will bottom out and you'd need to cut/lower your struts and run like an MR2 insert (I think this is the one people use? Don't quote me on that, read up on it instead). But I get low enough with 280zx struts and threaded collars all the way down on 8" 300# springs up front that I'm not itching to dump much lower.

For headers, I got a cheapo stainless egay header for about 100 smackeroos. My brother used the same one on his KA swap. The flange on it sits too high under the car, and needed to be cut shorter, but once this was done, an exhaust shop can run your exhaust from there. It puts the O2 sensor in an accessible-enough spot, and you just need to find a plug to stop up the other sensor port they have on there (stupid EGR crap).

Having the car running/driving in less than 3 months shouldn't be an issue if you chip away at it and know what needs to be done/do it early. If you need any references, I think I pretty much addressed everything in my build thread on Zilvia.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/171674-goon-build-ka-datsun.html

I used a VW rabit radiator with the "no cap option" and used an in-line Moroso radiator cap (so the cap is now the highest point in cooling system and bleeding isn't an issue anymore). I've had ZERO problems with cooling except my own mistakes.

I use 280zx struts as well. If you use some adjustable sleeves and springs (eibach kit), you can grind off the existing spring perch and weld on your own to get as low as you want. At some point though, your struts will bottom out and you'd need to cut/lower your struts and run like an MR2 insert (I think this is the one people use? Don't quote me on that, read up on it instead). But I get low enough with 280zx struts and threaded collars all the way down on 8" 300# springs up front that I'm not itching to dump much lower.

For headers, I got a cheapo stainless egay header for about 100 smackeroos. My brother used the same one on his KA swap. The flange on it sits too high under the car, and needed to be cut shorter, but once this was done, an exhaust shop can run your exhaust from there. It puts the O2 sensor in an accessible-enough spot, and you just need to find a plug to stop up the other sensor port they have on there (stupid EGR crap).

Having the car running/driving in less than 3 months shouldn't be an issue if you chip away at it and know what needs to be done/do it early. If you need any references, I think I pretty much addressed everything in my build thread on Zilvia.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/171674-goon-build-ka-datsun.html

so wait, I got an s13 hotshot 4-2-1 with the motor when i bought it, I might be able to get it to fit if i chop it off at the collector?

The cross member flipped the other way, the trans bolt holes were @ 3 inches off. No way.

But, the engine is positioned VERY nicely in the bay, so that's preferable.

Custom installs like this, you must accept unforeseen challenges.

Way of the Beast.

Edited by agentalpha
thanks!

a few questions if anyone can chime in...

Most people use the VW one which I am not a fan of but it works... I used a 720 one in my truck but it will doesn't quite fit in a dime :(

The 02 can be located on the exhaust after the steering box if you want, its only used during free way cruising anyway..

280zx struts don't need to be shortened unless you are going gangster low :D Bump Steer Spacer only correct the roll center I would add them but thats just because I have had enough lowered dimes to know that every little bit helps when they are dumped.

One thing I have been trying to find is a clear list of what can be safely stripped completely off the motor without any concerns and/or confusing the ECM.

EGR?

Vacuum lines?

Maybe we should hit some yards/part stores tomorrow.

I STILL think we should re-use that header,

and if we had a welder for me to use, we'd be JUST fine.

Hell, that trans mount would be re-done already as well.

Edited by agentalpha
One thing I have been trying to find is a clear list of what can be safely stripped completely off the motor without any concerns and/or confusing the ECM.

EGR?

Vacuum lines?

Maybe we should hit some yards/part stores tomorrow.

I STILL think we should re-use that header,

and if we had a welder for me to use, we'd be JUST fine.

Hell, that trans mount would be re-done already as well.

actually according to WagDatto's build, we can get away with using the header, but we would neeed to chop it off at the flange or collector

actually, I spoke to the shop that did the mount and it might have been put together on a jig that is for an sr20 tranny.

I'm tempted to buy a welder, then just buy some steel and make the mount.

I'm down to do that. Its not like im going to own a 240sx anytime soon

Edited by inline4

If I wasn't so busy with my own KA swap I would totally come down and give you guys a hand. I'm up in Santa Rosa so its only about an hour drive for me. Maybe sometime we can all meet up.

Good luck with the swap, looks like your making good progress.

Yeah, I had to cut my header before the flange... The way it was curving, the flange was hitting the floor before I could position it to bolt onto the motor. Once I cut it, it squeezed on there, and I just had the muffler shop weld on their own flange, etc.

Once you guys get this pig running, I'll have to cruise down to the bay sometime and set up a meeting!