Mindy....

inline4

also, I think I have an inkling of why we couldnt find a switched hot wire.

remember how the radio came on when the battery was hooked up?

if the radio was spliced into the original coil, or even hooked up to constant hot (doesn't make sense since the radio used to turn off with the L16) and we didnt hook it up the second time around, that might be a reason why the ecu wasnt getting power (aka the radio was hooked up to constant on and the ecu wire was hooked up to the coil, hooked up to the constant on so it would never lose power.

alright guys, a general question about wiring, of those relays used, how come there are 4 wires going into each of them? can a 3 input relay be used? I might have my new ignition switch and anti theft device ready by the next time I come up :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I presume you made it to SoCal OK?

That might be it.

There were @ 4 wires connected to the + coil terminal. Craziness. Plus, I dunno how much I trust those jumper wires at the old voltage regulator connector.

I agree with you, rewiring the car is really your best bet. You now need, what, only 7 circuits past the firewall(other than the FI bundle)? Headlights, horn, turn signals, starter solenoid, brake level sensor, coolant temp, tach, if memory serves. And again, I personally would reuse the factory wires after a good inspection, just slim the original harness down. When you are talking about a few hundred feet of wire, and connectors on top of that, it adds up rather fast, esp. at today's metal prices. And, you would have lots of extra left over to scrap, or reuse. I would love to see THAT pile.

Free money, which is always a good thing.

I can't tell you how relieved I would be to see ONE ignition switch on your car.

Edited by agentalpha

I kinda take this personally, and shouldn't let myself be drawn into this discussion, or even let it bother me.

However, I put a LOT into this, starting from scratch, with a short deadline.

And am rather proud of what I did, with what I had to work with.

So, you are upside down. ;)

It's very easy to say:

spend more money,

when you aren't buying the parts,

or keeping costs down,

or doing the work(by yourself),

from the very beginning,

on a chassis/engine you know little about(and don't really care to),

that was a big wiring mess,

or have a deadline,

over the internet,

in hindsight.:rolleyes:

I did in @ month what hadn't been done in over a year prior.:blink:

It's reliable, fairly safe to drive(as far as the engine/trans go), and not going to grenade.

The car is running too cool already, TY.

Did you miss that part, Bro?

So how is your casual statement from a distance a help?

Edited by agentalpha
  • 2 months later...

wow. today was a long day. I had the exhaust put on. this thing is fun to drive :) now if I could only figure out the whole stock tach with the ka deal, I read the how to on the realm but no luck... and which wire is the temp gauge wire would be appreciated :)

thanks

p1exh.jpg

p2exh.jpg

Lets see some pics of how you mounted the ECU and stuff :D

sorry for the dark pic. I was actually at Troy's shop earlier today pricing out 280zx brakes up front, the car's stock brakes stink.

I've been trying to figure out how to mount the ecu and everything under the glovebox, but for the time being, this is the second "on the ground" version of mounting the wiring.

Troy actually mentioned not liking how the wires were so long, as he wants to put the ecu on the right kick panel as opposed to under the seats. If I shorten the wiring harness so I can mount everything under the glovebox, or on the kick panel, is there anything I should be aware of inside the harness other then stripping and butt connecting some wires? or is there an easier way to do it?

other then that, it starts and runs I'm a happy camper. :)

thanks again :o

35jvuxz.jpg

also, what is that signex box thing? I remember you mentioning to someone that you can remove it as it is old useless junk?

This week has been a bolt on out of hell week. most all of the bolt on stuff I purchased, in some form or another did not bolt in. More on that later.

Chris, aka agentalpha aka banned has been a great help. he's been basically putting together the car, without him, I would be slightly richer and the car still would be motorless. :o

here's some pics.

IMG_1967Medium.jpg

IMG_1968Medium.jpg

along with a few other goodies, I've basically been forced to start getting the bodywork done. :o

Chris, aka agentalpha aka banned has been a great help. he's been basically putting together the car, without him, I would be slightly richer and the car still would be motorless. :o

That's awesome, to bad he get's all intardnet on the interwed....:confused:

Car is looking great. :cool:

chris is cool how is his z comming i would like to keep in contact but i have no way to do so'

on topic the dime is looking good man keep it up how big is the exhaust

do you want his email?

2.5 inch, but i think the muffler was smaller. chris and I ended up swapping mufflers. I had a 3 inch flowmaster and swapped it for a single i think 2 inch or so magnaflow. it's all temporary until it falls off

• 3 weeks later...

here's some of my ghetto fabulous work I've done on the car.

for some reason, I like touching things a bunch of times. once to get it running, then staring at it for a long time and then finally breaking down and doing things to make it look nicer. this usually takes months to do :)

my car started its former life as a 5 speed conversion. transmission unknown, but the transmission hole basically was a drop in for the KA. it left a little too much , so I took an old 4 speed cover I had, hacked the bottom end and you have whats below. for the wiring, I tried to tidy things up and shove things in a little box. here's version 1, I'm gonna move the fuse box somewhere else.

IMG_2039Medium.jpg

IMG_2040Medium.jpg

IMG_2045Medium.jpg

IMG_2046Medium.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2047Medium.jpg

comments and concerns are welcome :)

Edited by inline4
  • 5 weeks later...

so I started the good from far paint job the other day :o

im putting some sloppy coats of rustoleum on it, just so it doesnt look so rusty. i still have to figure out the bodywork, since the rear quarter had spots of bondo that were pretty thick.

IMG_2082Medium.jpg

IMG_2084Medium.jpg

IMG_2085Medium.jpg

IMG_2087Medium.jpg

• 4 years later...

also, what is that signex box thing? I remember you mentioning to someone that you can remove it as it is old useless junk?

Did anyone ever figure out what this is? Mine clicks like crazy from 20-50mph. As others have asked in the past with no definitive answers, is this normal? Can I toss it out?