510 stock plastic outside mirror stuck - anyone know how to take it apart and lubricate it

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No!

Squirt inside the ball area with some WD40 and let it sit for a day, then try moving it.

Thanks, I thought about that, but given that the mirror is all plastic, I was not sure that was a good idea. I do not want to ruin it - I rather like that it is the original plastic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No!

Squirt inside the ball area with some WD40 and let it sit for a day, then try moving it.

This might work, but the "ball socket" inside gets very rusty!  Lay it flat facing up, squirt liberally behind glass (glued in place), at least a tablespoon++, let it oak as long as you can, hope for the best.  As Stoffregen mentioned, most if not all penatrants should not damage the plastic...........but ya might get residual draining/dripping for a while!

PS I have 5++ mirrors with broken glass, can't find anybody to custom cut a piece any more (Denver)..............had it done years ago in Michigan.  Buddy in KC MO same issue.........can't find anybody to custom cut!  I also could not find any NEW glass anywhere.  If you try to pry out, the glass will VERY likely break on ya! 😜

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Broken mirror is seven years bad luck.

Thankfully, I did not break any of them, just acquired on parts cars and/or in parts loads!  I was hoping that replacing the broken glass, might bring me 7 years of GOOD luck......?? 😏🤔

• Like 1
On 2/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No!

Have worked some WD40 into the ball area and now it is somewhat free. I can adjust it quite a bit more. I will drive with it and see if the adjustment is enough. I can always put more WD40 in it again.

Thanks - so much better than stuck.

• Like 2
On 2/27/2024 at 3:36 PM, yenpit said:

This might work, but the "ball socket" inside gets very rusty!  Lay it flat facing up, squirt liberally behind glass (glued in place), at least a tablespoon++, let it oak as long as you can, hope for the best.  As Stoffregen mentioned, most if not all penatrants should not damage the plastic...........but ya might get residual draining/dripping for a while!

PS I have 5++ mirrors with broken glass, can't find anybody to custom cut a piece any more (Denver)..............had it done years ago in Michigan.  Buddy in KC MO same issue.........can't find anybody to custom cut!  I also could not find any NEW glass anywhere.  If you try to pry out, the glass will VERY likely break on ya! 😜

Have you tried contacting a waterjet cutting company? Some of them specialize in cutting glass, like these guys: https://www.swiftglass.com/glass-cutting-waterjet

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SupDoc said:

Have you tried contacting a waterjet cutting company? Some of them specialize in cutting glass, like these guys: https://www.swiftglass.com/glass-cutting-waterjet

Well, they are a big fat NO, but thank you for the lead!  They did suggest that I avoid local auto glass businesses & instead, look for a simple "glass shop".  I haven't given up yet! 😎

• Like 1

I just had a custom cut windshield done at a local shop. He cut it out of a rectangle shape of glass then ground it smooth. I don't know why a glass shop couldn't do a mirror for you. FInd a guy who does custom work, not a Safe-lite shop.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

I have had glass shops do this before, and my local guys who did my shower surround and just cut me new glass for my sandblast cabinet window also advertise they cut replacement auto mirror glass.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 12:50 PM, iceman510 said:

I have had glass shops do this before, and my local guys who did my shower surround and just cut me new glass for my sandblast cabinet window also advertise they cut replacement auto mirror glass.

I did too, when I was in SW Michigan, but old school & harder to find these days!