Rims...post what you have & had

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

current:

Panasport C8's, I had fun restoring them, they didn't end up clearing the 6 pot brakes :( Still one of my favorite wheels of all time.

IMG_0743.jpg

These are beautiful! Your car looks great in gold as well. Are any of your XXR rims gold? I am assuming you are talking about the XXR 501's. Might be a nice set of alternates.

And why get rid of the TE-37s, Too modern? I love TE-37, just not on old cars.

These are beautiful! Your car looks great in gold as well. Are any of your XXR rims gold? I am assuming you are talking about the XXR 501's. Might be a nice set of alternates.

And why get rid of the TE-37s, Too modern? I love TE-37, just not on old cars.

I am a huge fan of the te37. They were bronze, and look OK on the car. The wheels were on the car when I purchased it. I too think they are a bit too modern for the car. I really have a soft spot for multi piece wheels and the character they add to the look, along with the classic watanabe/panasport design I think they are a home run. If I had a modern wheel on the car, it would be the Volk GTP. I also knew that I wanted to run the 245 35 16 tire that toyo offers, as its a perfect diameter. The Volks were an aggressive fit with a 195 45 15 on them, so no room (+15 offset).

I actually had an order with Kodiak wheels in to build me a set of custom wheel halves to get the width's where I wanted them, but in the end, the brakes just didn't allow for the wheel centers to fit properly on the car.

To fit around the brakes (especially the rears) took some extreme wheel centers. CCW was amazing to work with on this, as they machined one and sent it to me to make sure they fit. Check out the rough process:

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

As you can tell by that last pic, these brakes required a lot of inside dish.

Here are the rear with brakes mounted on the car:

IMG_1089.jpg

Here are the front:

IMG_1090.jpg

You can tell that the front caliper has a lot more clearance to the spokes. We could have machined it closer, but then I would have been deep dish on the front, opposite of what any rwd should look like, and opposite of my other driver (I call it a modern day 510, love it or hate it styling, small compact, light wheight design, quirky driving dynamics (both trailing arm designs), and relatively rare and low cost: IMG_0693.jpg

, I wish I could have gotten a bit of stagger dish in the rear of the 510, but form follows function here.

This is a long term driver/project car for me. Eventual plans are to do a vg33 upgrade, and possible turbo setup (its really tight in there right now. I had a full turbo system designed for it with help of bell intercoolers and jim wolf and race logic, but in the end, I want to fabricate most of the stuff, and I just need more time than I have right now.

For now, I take the car to the local porsche club track events once or twice a year. My focus is to get the car really sorted out. I feel its there. The suspension is there, the brakes are there, and I love the wheel and tire setup I am currently running.

As far as the side markers go, I didn't do any of the body or paint. That was all done by Kelvin Dietz a decade ago when he built this car for himself (the smurf). He did an amazing job, as they still look factory fresh. I am sure its all about doing it all in metal, with little or no filler.

I am a huge fan of the te37. They were bronze, and look OK on the car. The wheels were on the car when I purchased it. I too think they are a bit too modern for the car. I really have a soft spot for multi piece wheels and the character they add to the look, along with the classic watanabe/panasport design I think they are a home run. If I had a modern wheel on the car, it would be the Volk GTP. I also knew that I wanted to run the 245 35 16 tire that toyo offers, as its a perfect diameter. The Volks were an aggressive fit with a 195 45 15 on them, so no room (+15 offset).

I actually had an order with Kodiak wheels in to build me a set of custom wheel halves to get the width's where I wanted them, but in the end, the brakes just didn't allow for the wheel centers to fit properly on the car.

To fit around the brakes (especially the rears) took some extreme wheel centers. CCW was amazing to work with on this, as they machined one and sent it to me to make sure they fit. Check out the rough process:

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Thanks for the pics! CCW really did a great job custom making those wheels for you. That is truly amazing. I had no idea you were running 6 pots all around, crazy man. You have great taste in wheels and cars as well. I am a big fan of the M Coupe.

Speaking of staggered dishes, does it bug anyone else when FWD guys run big offset on the back and small on the front? I run 22mm front and 9mm rear, but I feel that RWD has the right to :) I wouldn't even do it on an AWD car.

Thanks for the pics! CCW really did a great job custom making those wheels for you. That is truly amazing. I had no idea you were running 6 pots all around, crazy man. You have great taste in wheels and cars as well. I am a big fan of the M Coupe.

Speaking of staggered dishes, does it bug anyone else when FWD guys run big offset on the back and small on the front? I run 22mm front and 9mm rear, but I feel that RWD has the right to :) I wouldn't even do it on an AWD car.

Yes, I see lots of fwd cars running wider wheels in the rear than the front. Totally rice. Once I saw a civic with that setup, then it turns out that the guy had an acura legend 3.2 v6 sitting the rear....badass.

As far as the brakes, Dave at arizon z car convinced me to go this route. The calipers are super light, and he engineered the pistons in the front and rear for good balance. In the end, I still used a brake proportioning valve to really get it dialed it.

The first time I ever experienced brake fade (I had heard the term, but never experienced it) I was coming down sqaw peak road in Provo Utah in my 1st 510 hauling ass. All of a sudden, no brake pedal!!!! There were higher powers that saved me, I am sure. I love push cars a bit, and having adequate brakes is awesome. This setup actually saved about 3 lbs per corner replacing the boat anchor s12 toyota calipers and 10" rotors. I highly recommend Arizona Z car. Completely customizes the application, and even at that, its a cheaper kit setup apples for apples for any application I have ever seen anywhere. Put it this way, it was more expensive to replace the brembo rotors, pads and hardware on my M coupe than the whole kit cost for the 510. I'd do it 10x's over.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought id get a broad shot of my rim collection [obsession] :blink:

2qantyv.jpg

L to R are...stock 720, Z rims, Revolutions, 2 ST's,[in the garage] 2 sets of Libres-13 x 6 & 13 x 7, spare Denali, & out of pic are my Titan rims & some 14 x 6 Enkie Apache's...

I'm glad the wife doesnt complain :rolleyes:

Thought id get a broad shot of my rim collection [obsession] :blink:

Hey hey hey...those are MY apache's!!! Well once I pay you back for them that is, hahahaha, boy I should take a trip down there at night and help myself to some of those wheels! I'd only have to get by that BIG, scary, vicious guard dog Sprout... :lol:

You're just like me Mark, they're an obsession for sure. I need to clean out some of my wheels but dang they're all so cool to have.

Ooo yes forgot to say that the Apaches are your Mario..gratis ! Maybe we can meet halfway sometime & i can deliver.

Halfway??? No way man either I make it down there for another meet or you cruise up here for some meetup! We need to figure something out since it's getting to be good weather again. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i love thouse wheels i think the best stock nissan wheel in 4 lug

i want thouse slots on the wagon!!!

me too on the wagon slots. Dave has a set with REALLY WIDE rear rims,tires are shot,and 13" or i"d have bought them somehow already. I think they'd look great on my Goon(same color as the one in your pic) but I want to do the 280zx strut/brakes swap,and they wouldn't fit over the calipers,or under the rear lip once it's lowered. if only i could find a similiar set that would fit!