Anyone know who this is?

FrankRizzo

I was referring to generic Subaru boxer engine sounds with presumably dual exhaust. I imagine that a turbo engine would have all the pipes into one for the turbo. The ones I'm referring to sound like old VWs. Maybe it's just me?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, metalmonkey47 said:

I was honestly going to try and snag this one if it still had an L in it. The powertrain was the only thing that held me back.

Might just go get my old truck back at this point.

The truck is beautiful, and then I saw the motor and wondered why the hell they would put an odd-fire V6 in there. So many other engine choices. He probably had it "laying around".

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I didn't say WRX. I know very little about Subaru engines just that most if not all sound like VWs.

It's because they have a similar engine layout 

Again, take any boxer engine, put equal length headers and you'll drastically change the sound.  

On 10/31/2023 at 6:52 PM, thisismatt said:

Now that it's gone, let's see where this goes...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225844219992

Stoff you should drag this home...

That would actually be pretty cool to own. But I don't own my vehicles for very long, which means they have to be able to be sold. There ain't no money in small Datsuns...

Hello everyone. I am the purchaser of the $28,000 620. You guys seem perplexed why anyone would pay so much for such a vehicle. Based on my past experiences, a complete frame-off restoration of ANY vehicle costs a small fortune. IMG_2920.thumb.jpeg.f398d0cdfcdffc39a59c35c8098f65f6.jpeg

I spent $14,000 for the body work and paint for my current 620. (SR20DE swap, Heidt’s Mustang II front end, 8” Ford rear end, disk brakes, Vintage Air, etc.) 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, EndoDoc said:

Hello everyone. I am the purchaser of the $28,000 620. You guys seem perplexed why anyone would pay so much for such a vehicle. Based on my past experiences, a complete frame-off restoration of ANY vehicle costs a small fortune. IMG_2920.thumb.jpeg.f398d0cdfcdffc39a59c35c8098f65f6.jpeg

I spent $14,000 for the body work and paint for my current 620. (SR20DE swap, Heidt’s Mustang II front end, 8” Ford rear end, disk brakes, Vintage Air, etc.) 

Welcome. Love this, very nice. 

5 hours ago, EndoDoc said:

Hello everyone. I am the purchaser of the $28,000 620. You guys seem perplexed why anyone would pay so much for such a vehicle. Based on my past experiences, a complete frame-off restoration of ANY vehicle costs a small fortune. 

Im faaaar from perplexed!

In fact, I'm stoked that it sold for as much as it did.

Welcome aboard!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, EndoDoc said:

Good to hear from you, the actual buyer.

I don't think any of us are saying it isn't worth what you paid, but we are confused, or to use your own word, perplexed that this 620 would go for that amount of cash, when just a few days prior, one of our member's clean 521 could barely reach half that amount.

You may have read my comments about the choice of engines. And no offense, because the comments were made before we got to meet you, but the odd-fire V6 has to be one of the worst sounding engines ever produced. They make good torque and are great to drive, and they fit in just about anything, and there is a strong aftermarket for them, so there's lots going for it. But the sound...

The build quality of the truck is obviously very high end, and the truck showed nicely in the pics, so I would have to assume it's just as nice in person.

Thanks for making the introduction and welcome to the forum.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Duncan said:

wow.  I've always liked those, but getting that back into shape (and finding parts) is more than a job.  It would be a career...

Yep, there are almost no parts available for that car.

I almost bought a mid '60s Fiat 1100 wagon a few years ago. This car reminds me of that Fiat. Would be totally cool to own, but you're absolutely correct about it being a career.

Thanks for the welcome guys. It seems that most 620 fans share childhood stories related to the truck. I am no exception. Nevertheless, the body shape, with the bullet side and bed hooks, the friendly face, and the overall size is what keeps me interested. I needlessly wish Nissan would reissue them as they did with the Z car. The builder of the $28K truck is an expert and highly endorsed by Jeff Meier, who is quite the aficionado himself (Google him.) The current engine would not be my first choice, but it too can be swapped in the future if I want to continue making a further investment into a fully depreciated asset. If you want a ‘new’ 620 and do not have the skills, time, or patience to produce one, you must pay or do without. 
My regret is the nice 620s I’ve sold in the past and also the 67.5 2000 that I sold for $40K to a guy who quickly auctioned it for $57K at a Mecum auction not long ago. My lesson was to just keep these little gems because they’re not terribly expensive and they are becoming very hard to find. Also, I am having an increasingly difficult time finding mechanics of body shops that will accept them. 
I really enjoy the banter and expertise shared on this forum. Cheers. 

• Like 2

67 1/2 roadster? With Solex carbs? That is a holy grail Datsun for sure.

I finally figured out what the sound of that truck resembles. See if you can find a video for a WWII Lycoming tank engine. Or maybe it was simply the Sherman tank with the radial engine. Either way, it's a close match.

Not that anyone cares…but the odd fire 231 was only produced between ’75-‘77. 
I look forward to know if this particular version is the one in the truck I bought, which arrives next Tuesday. 
Evidently, many people like the rumble and durability of the odd fire 231.  
My interest is finding a way to increase the power of this engine. Supercharger? 
Turbo? Any input would be appreciated.