U521 So Many Questions

firetruck150

So I have taken ownership of a 1969 U521 extended cab. It was in Costa Rica until it was shipped to the states this summer. I am going over it and discovering some interesting things about this vehicle. One thing is no heater core. I’m sure in Costa Rica they had no need for heat or a defroster. The sweet little ride is in Tennessee where it gets a little chilly November through March. My question is, did theses trucks come with a heater core fan setup? I would think if they were sold in Japan they would have.

img%5D

img%5Dimg%5D

• Like 4
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely the North American '69 L521 and later '70 PL521 came with heaters. It was an option but maybe if you ordered a truck you could specify not having one. Otherwise you need one.

If you can find an old 521 you could swap it in I would think.

2 hours ago, firetruck150 said:

So I have taken ownership of a 1969 U521 extended cab. It was in Costa Rica until it was shipped to the states this summer. I am going over it and discovering some interesting things about this vehicle. One thing is no heater core. I’m sure in Costa Rica they had no need for heat or a defroster. The sweet little ride is in Tennessee where it gets a little chilly November through March. My question is, did theses trucks come with a heater core fan setup? I would think if they were sold in Japan they would have.

24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Absolutely the North American '69 L521 and later '70 PL521 came with heaters. It was an option but maybe if you ordered a truck you could specify not having one. Otherwise you need one.

If you can find an old 521 you could swap it in I would think.

If the 72 521 heater is the same I have one 

Wow, I didn't even know the U521 existed. Pretty weird rig. A quick search shows that the interior is the same as the PL521, so I imagine the heater core is exactly the same. 

He's going to need to figure out how to plumb it into the J13 as well though. 

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/electrical-1300-(j13)/heater

Are there even vents in the dash?

Edited by mainer311
11 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Wow, I didn't even know the U521 existed. Pretty weird rig. A quick search shows that the interior is the same as the PL521, so I imagine the heater core is exactly the same. 

He's going to need to figure out how to plumb it into the J13 as well though. 

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/electrical-1300-(j13)/heater

Are there even vents in the dash?

Yes, four.

Copied from another post....

Try this.....

Using Imgur; go to "my images", select the pic you want, when the pic opens on the right hand side there are options for copy and paste. Select the one that says BBC code (or something close to that). Not sure if this is the same for phone app as opposed to desktop/laptop. I use a laptop.

•  

In Imgur, go to my images, click on the pic you want, it will go to a new screen and there are links on the right hand side, click on the "BBC code for message boards", the paste into your post on Ratsun.

image.jpeg.c87ecb9b7effad5f5ef93d890833a460.jpeg

Very nice. The later 620 also came like this but we didn't get it.

The 521 heater isn't that great. I survived 8 Ontario winters, not because of it but in spite of it. The heater core is very small and the fan even smaller. The 620 heater is much improved and self contained much like the 521.