Whirpool fridge

Let me pick ya'lls brain.I have a 3 year old Whirpool side by side Fridge.We,yes,wife and I decided to put a new water filter in.Never in my life have I ever put a new water filter in any of my fridge's.When they say if it ain't broke don't f*ck with it.So my dumb dumb self and wife bought a new oem water filter from Lowe's.Home Depot was out but said online they had 3.Put it in and the ice maker quit making ice but the ice maker is going thru the motions like it is dropping ice,and it is making noise like water is going to ice maker.But no ice.I got a cup and put it under water dispenser and a week stream came out then it stopped.So I took the water filter out and tried the water dispenser and it came out fast as lightning.I even tried the old water filter and it does the same thing.I did buy a part and will install it this weekend.I googled it and it had many ideas as why ice maker is not working.Fridge has not been moved,no water leaks.inlet water valve has 2 hoses,one for ice maker,one for water dispenser.Freezer is cold enough,at 0 degrees at the recommended settings.Another thing it says it that the water is frozen going to the ice maker,I did check it out and got a hot rag and put in the area for a while.Line is not kinked.Water pressure is good.Another site says it could be the water filter housing.I bought a Whirpool one and will install it this weekend.I don't believe it's a bad water inlet valve cause water is going to the water dispenser full force.You can hear it when the valve open's and it sounds as water is going to the ice maker and the ice maker's on and off bar activate's and the ice flipper move's like it is dumping ice.So what is everybody's thought on this.The Water filter housing was about 70 bucks,real easy to install.I was going to pull fridge out,unplug it and remove the 2 screws holding water inlet valve and place it so the water line's will have more room to come out the front.To take housing off is to,pull bottom guard off,open filter housing,remove filter.Then remove 2 screws and pull housing out and remove hose clamps and remove hoses.Also,I am going to let the freezer defrost in case   the line is frozen up that feeds the ice maker.If this don't work.Then I call a repair man.So if you know how to fix this,Please respond.Also why is water dispenser working great with no water filter.But won't work with water filter in it.I have seen sites that people with Whirpools have the same problem.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is fixed.It it was a bad water filter housing like I thought.What started the problem was when I bought a water filter from Ebay and it said it was a oem Whirpool filter.But when I got it ,it said.Kenmore and looked exactly like the Whirpool.But the 2 little holes at the end where water goes in and comes out are smaller.So when I installed it,the little holes bent one of the stubs in the water filter housing causing the rubber o ring to come out some and the little stud to angle to the left.That caused water not to come out of the filter.When filter was removed,water would go to the water dispenser,but the water outlet that goes to the ice maker.was frozen.I had a big piece of ice come out of it when it defrosted.I didn't have to move the fridge to get the new water filter housing on.Now the water dispenser works and it is making ice.So always use a oem water filter.I will buy my next one like I just did from Lowe's.I am going to send the Kenmore filter back.See what they showed when i bought themhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/385250578437?var=653135048323 here is what he sent me...https://www.ebay.com/itm/175232882716?epid=5025312371&hash=item28ccb1981c:g:bUQAAOSweNFhMx-x&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0AoNWPvhO8Muflr9RvF0T%2BUl%2FB02O6V0aNR9cRbwIxUltfuESyd%2FE003%2BS5nTPTz1xGdBU06xMgehIZ%2F8RLbArxISgVzWmQoKyybUJVe8jjegNhhLpcd8yL3DAGRHrhNEdXb50VlsnbCuSUlsc8v8u6H%2F2sg1ZBLlEOlin91W9fq9RlKaZ21Dx2pNp%2BtwOuLvZSyLoQvi65ikl7kFgbtAqWqxVIpug8JAQJWsAVmYxP1iDnedYEOe%2FA5w08q955ge7nAtpFgr8ZAxuzg1a16Puo%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-yIztreYQ here is the one that works...https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=whirlpool+water+filterThis is the water filter housing I replaced,caused by putting the wrong water filter in.Ain't nothing I can't fix.

hero-EDR1RXD1.jpg

s-l140 (3).jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I grew up with a fridge that only kept stuff cold. Every few months mom would turn it off open the freezer compartment door and defrost it. Dad's 5 year old '51 chev you had to roll the window down to hand signal turns. Then the world got more complicated with more things to go wrong.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I grew up with a fridge that only kept stuff cold. Every few months mom would turn it off open the freezer compartment door and defrost it. Dad's 5 year old '51 chev you had to roll the window down to hand signal turns. Then the world got more complicated with more things to go wrong.

He just didn't read the instructions. It clearly states: "Warm filter next to burn barrel for 10 minutes to soften sealing surfaces before inserting ."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ice maker almost full.I will put the old water filter in my burn barrel.If I could fit California in it,I would.I am going to burn today and see how many cry babies will reply.Matt your Welcome to come over and help buddy.We can put that lil 521 in there...Then you can get a real truck...If i drove that little boys truck to work,everyone will make fun of me.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Check this out.I ordered 2 Whirpool water filters and got 2 Kenmore water filters that tore up the water filter housing that I had to spend 74 bucks getting a new one and trying to send them back,I may have to get Ebay to step in.Click on link and look at his swich and bait tatic. https://www.ebay.com/itm/385250578437?var=653135048323

Edited by Thomas Perkins

If Auto Zone had them I would of bought one from them.Maybe next time a cool Auto Zone alternator..They last forever,They wave at me every time I drive by.My best friends.Matt you need a Datsun 420,then you really will have Chinese eyes.Just stay away from the Mexican Dirt weed.I love watching Scooby Doo...Matt's 521,RIP...Matt,someone or something wish you were there buddy...your 521 is there waiting on you.good luck..

download (68).jpg

100_0465.jpg

download - 2019-08-04T124124.510.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
4 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Check this out.I ordered 2 Whirpool water filters and got 2 Kenmore water filters that tore up the water filter housing that I had to spend 74 bucks getting a new one and trying to send them back,I may have to get Ebay to step in.Click on link and look at his swich and bait tatic. https://www.ebay.com/itm/385250578437?var=653135048323

Operator error.Next time call somebody qualified to change a water filter.

• Haha 1