New Project 620

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

Datsun Z competition wheel, Carbon fiber Mirror or carbon fiber bumper? 

Oh, I thought it read AND instead of OR.

I'd go with the bumper. Paint your mirror and get a junkyard steering wheel. Someone here showed a roadster wheel in their truck. That's different, but I guess not exactly junkyard material.

• Like 1

Bought some upgraded headlights. They came with Halos/Angel eyes. Was wondering if anyone had a solution or insight to utilizing the LED rings? Posted on FB and I got ideas on what power sources to use. Just need to know what I can use to actually connect the wires together. I have 2 options. Don’t want to use the turn signals. Explain to me like I’m 5. 😂

1. use the side marker lights wire but would like to still keep the side markers working. Can I splice the wire 1 into 3? What would you use to do so? Someone mentioned switching out the side marker bulb to LED would help with amp. 

IMG_8307.jpg295A0A6A-3872-46FB-9A04-B9F52B12FD74.jpg3D067F44-DD37-46CF-9289-4F56E25C4A50.jpgIMG_8311.thumb.jpeg.95cab814edaf89b3b5b08db4156905c8.jpeg

2. Use the unused radio wire. What harness can I use to connect all 4 headlamp halos? Also someone mentioned a relay. Not sure what that is. IMG_8316.jpg

Connect the halo to the ignition or something ON with the ignition. In the daytime you will be more visible when driving. Side marker lights are only on with the headlight switch. Can't use halos as turn signals because they are too close to the lamps to notice and amber is a better choice anyway. Don't do this.

13 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Connect the halo to the ignition or something ON with the ignition. In the daytime you will be more visible when driving. Side marker lights are only on with the headlight switch. Can't use halos as turn signals because they are too close to the lamps to notice and amber is a better choice anyway. Don't do this.

Are you saying side markers are only on with the headlight?

Or are you saying they come on with the headlight switch?

23 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Essentially just work and be on without the headlights being on. 

You can do as mike said for drl effect...

I'd prefer them on with the running lights.... but Mike's wording has me wondering about the 620 wiring setup.... I have a 521 so I could be different... 1st position on my headlight switch is only side markers and running lights.... 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I have the radio wire free. How would you connect the one wire to part into 4? I’m not electrical savvy. Also will the radio fuse handle all 4? 

IMG_8316.jpg

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'd prefer them on with the running lights.... but Mike's wording has me wondering about the 620 wiring setup.... I have a 521 so I could be different... 1st position on my headlight switch is only side markers and running lights.... 

620 is the same. 1st pull on the light switch is running/side marker lights. 

16 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Then dealer choice....

Ignition on when the trucks on...

Or you control it with the running lights.... 

Either way you choose I'd use a relay... 

86 - the ignition or running light 

85 - ground....

87 - to the halo rings... you can chain all 4 together from the relay.

30 - to the battery or fuse box where you have constant power.. add a fuse to the relay or they even have relays with an intgrated fuse...

28 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

I have the radio wire free. How would you connect the one wire to part into 4? I’m not electrical savvy. Also will the radio fuse handle all 4? 

IMG_8316.jpg

It depends on what the halo rings draw for current.... I dont know what else is on the same fuse as the radio... you could use that to trigger a relay...

As far as making 1 into 4 

Does the head light harness go from one side to the other across the radiator support area... 

I'd just make jumpers along the harness as you connect the headlights... so run the wire out to the first light and at that connection point  have another wire connected going to the next light and so on.... 

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Are you saying side markers are only on with the headlight?

Or are you saying they come on with the headlight switch?

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

First or second position they are on. If you connect to halo then you have to remember to turn them on and off. Better to have a switched ignition source then on only when engine is on.... including when headlights are on.

Halo are LED I presume? For that little light probably less than a watt. Or at least nothing much to worry about. The ignition is close by wire it to the ignition side of the ballast resister. ON when engine running so definitely on if driving at night.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

43 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Second position is the same as first but headlights are also on.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Once active it will power something...

Relays are great for lighting on old vehicles where the full current would run through the switch - running higher loads (like Halogen lights) put a lot more current through the switch than they were designed for & potential for switch failure/meltdown is increased. The relay allows for reduced current to flow through the switch and the relay then switches the high current load. Essentially the relay allows a low-current switch to control a high-current load safely. Amplifiers, Halogen lights, heaters are all higher loads.

You are wanting to use the power from the radio circuit because it is "presently" unused - will you want to put in a radio/stereo in the future? Again, if future might include a high-power stereo amp, you'd want to power the amp via a relay.

14 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'll answer the easy question....

A relay is basically and electric switch....

They need a ground and power to activate ...

Once active it will power something...

Screenshot_20230627-140132_DuckDuckGo.jpg

10 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Then dealer choice....

Ignition on when the trucks on...

Or you control it with the running lights.... 

Either way you choose I'd use a relay... 

86 - the ignition or running light 

85 - ground....

87 - to the halo rings... you can chain all 4 together from the relay.

30 - to the battery or fuse box where you have constant power.. add a fuse to the relay or they even have relays with an intgrated fuse...

This is exactly what I was looking for lol. Thanks! You literally have to draw a picture in crayon for me to understand. Lol 

how would you “chain” all 4 halo wires together? 

4 hours ago, EDM620 said:

You are wanting to use the power from the radio circuit because it is "presently" unused - will you want to put in a radio/stereo in the future? Again, if future might include a high-power stereo amp, you'd want to power the amp via a relay.

I’m running a stock radio that’s Bluetooth converted and 2 speakers currently running on the heater ignition wire. Might add amp later

26 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

sorry.  How about now? iJDMTOY H11 880 890 Relay Wiring Harness Compatible With Xenon Headlight Kit, Add-On Fog Lights, LED Daytime Running Lamps and more https://a.co/d/5tiNPMR

Ahh you edited the picture...

Yes that link worked....

And yes you could use it...

Cut their plug off add your own connector with a jumper to the second light....

Or even easier buy 2 ... 1 for each side.... 

Sorry, yeah that’s how my brain works. Have to draw it out. I notice that the output wires to the application (lamps) has a red and black wire coming out. Can I split the red and black to go to separate lamps or is the black wire a ground? 

sorry if these are dumb questions 

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Always best to ask and get clarification on anything you don't totally understand, and learn from it. Besides, others have probably had to learn the answer from doing it wrong before...

And black is 99.99% ALWAYS the ground. Make sure your ground wire is attached to a CLEAN spot and really secured. Faulty grounds cause a lot of headache.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Sorry, yeah that’s how my brain works. Have to draw it out. I notice that the output wires to the application (lamps) has a red and black wire coming out. Can I split the red and black to go to separate lamps or is the black wire a ground? 

sorry if these are dumb questions 

Yes black is ground....

And yes you can split both the red and the black and create 2 outputs per side... just cut the end off and make your extensions...