New Project 620

53 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

My brother is a lock smith. He’s trying to make a key with the code on the door lock. 

also wheels are powder coated

IMG_8899.thumb.jpeg.8bdae8dcb7e05b9533e19b081663874c.jpeg

How much did powder coating the wheels run you if you don't mind me asking? Been thinking of doing the same to mine...

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/30/2023 at 2:22 PM, datzenmike said:

Back when the 620 was new the oil was high in ZDDP (over 1,000 PPM) an anti scuff additive. Today's engines are engineered differently and don't need it so since the mid '90s oil makers have been slowly reducing it and is around 600 PPM or less. I'm worried that the lower levels will allow wear on my valuable valve train so I use an oil with the original levels. I found that Shell Rotella T4 is 1,200 PPM and comes in 10w30 and 15w40. It's a diesel oil so it has more detergent than gas engine oils. Only thing I noticed was the oil darkens in a month or two because it's cleaning the engine. After several oil and filter changes this went away.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use fram oil filters. They are poorly made cardboard crap. WIX or NAPA Gold are still good. Always change with the oil.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything but NGK spark plugs and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy them off of Amazon. There are just too many counterfeits out there. BP6ES-11 gap 0.039"-0.043"

I recommend NGK plug wires. Don't know if they come in yellow. I like the blue ones. No one can see them anyway.

Set the valve lash. 0.010 " intake and 0.012" exhaust on a hot engine is best. 0.008" intake and 0.010" if on cold engine. 

Will be doing a small tune up. Oil, and plugs. 

question: how much oil do I need? Also which Spark plug is for which? Can I just do 0.010” on all spark plugs on cold engine? 

IMG_8960.thumb.jpeg.3594d1b69cfdbd819c4e58a3a1ab42ef.jpeg

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Also which Spark plug is for which? Can I just do 0.010” on all spark plugs on cold engine? 

WHAT?????????

what does you manual say on spark plug gap?

which for which I dont get that one but the wires are laboled. You take one off at a time not to be a idiot and not know where they go.

the front plug by fuel pump is cylinder 1 23 then 4 is the back.

Do one at a time.

54 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

how much oil do I need?

You have a dip stick. but I alwasy buy a 5 quart jug now days.  4.5 qt then run, then check dipstick add if needed.

Use only NGK spark plugs for the '78. They are BP6ES. Don't buy off line, lots of counterfeit ones out there on Amazon.

The gap is 1.1 mm or 0.043"

Get the Nissan published factory service manual (FSM) or ....

https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/automotive/datsun_620/Datsun_Pick-up_Service_Manual_1978.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Use only NGK spark plugs for the '78. They are BP6ES. Don't buy off line, lots of counterfeit ones out there on Amazon.

The gap is 1.1 mm or 0.043"

Get the Nissan published factory service manual (FSM) or ....

https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/automotive/datsun_620/Datsun_Pick-up_Service_Manual_1978.pdf

Regular bp6es are actually. 035 gapped...

You can open the gap to .043...

Or buy bp6es-11 they come pre gapped to .043.....

What I found wierd was they call for the .035 gap in Canada but the .043 in the USA.... why?

Screenshot_20230825-072856_Drive.thumb.jpg.da4eebc332411f7a10e7429f3002ec85.jpg

Yeah that works.  If 60F out, the hot running theoretically should open to the specified 0.010" and 0.012". If 100F or near freezing it won't be as exact. It's not wrong as a cold setting is specified, but I do mine hot. I would use the cold setting if rebuilding a head to get close enough to start then check hot. But that's me.

Hainz suggests a few thou tighter so they are more quiet.

• Like 1

my Schneider Cam said .006/.008 if I remember right. cant remmeber hot or cold but I havent adjusted valves in years on my 2 Datsuns and they seem fine.

I was always worried about them falling out when I ran them looser, Bam Loose a cylinder going up a hill.

Then with the aftermarket pads they are not sunk on the back side  if one runs a thinner retainer and a thicker lash pad.

I like that place in Austraila that has the countersunk lashpads like the stock ones but thicker and use the stock steel retainers.key is know what you need.

http://www.precisionshims.com.au/products/slotted

someone here got some

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1