67 411 1600 (SSS) Wagon

Greaser2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:48 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

They are cool, and lend to the period correctness, but the later ZX 5spd is a better trans.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, john510 said:

You know I have the ZX 5 speed in the garage.I had it torn down and checked in case I ever need it.I just don't feel like taking apart a nice running car and dealing with the driveshaft thing.I'll sell that one at some point.

The zx 71B five speed does not have a Roadster front case to swap on. Closest is one from an SD22/25 from a 720, even has the starter on the correct side. You would have to mix 'n match the throw out bearing collar to the Roadster PP and flywheel. It's been done but not a drop in.

My '85 SD25 front case...

M3FuNrT.jpg

Cut off front from Roadster transmission...

2Yz7tK7.jpg

Scary close.

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The zx 71B five speed does not have a Roadster front case to swap on. Closest is one from an SD22/25 from a 720, even has the starter on the correct side. You would have to mix 'n match the throw out bearing collar to the Roadster PP and flywheel. It's been done but not a drop in.

My '85 SD25 front case...

M3FuNrT.jpg

Cut off front from Roadster transmission...

2Yz7tK7.jpg

Scary close.

My Roadster tranny has an L series bell housing on it. I think ? The starter is on the passenger side.

1 hour ago, john510 said:

My Roadster tranny has an L series bell housing on it. I think ? The starter is on the passenger side.

Yes an L series front bell was made so the Roadster 5 speed could be used on the early 240z. Note the starter is on the correct, right side.

image.jpeg.20f3a97f6970ad760405246f3d6ad052.jpeg

It was available through Nissan, probably NISMO. I heard (may be true) that they were optionally available on Z cars in Europe but you could import the bell.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 3:45 PM, Greaser2 said:

After looking high and low around Houston, no one will do zinc chromate so decided to DYI. First batch today. IMG_4062.thumb.jpeg.6a2a484c702b70a852550889e5cf0082.jpeg

Did you buy a kit from someone like Caswell Plating for the DIY zinc chromate?

It is the Copy Cad Zinc Plate from Caswell.  Then buy the yellow chromate to make the yellow color.  I also did some in Blue(Silver/clear) Chromate.  You can be very limited by the size of the piece.   Caswell is not quick to tell you the limitations and thus the costs start pilling up and get expensive so hard to justify for just one project.  

Blue.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Congratulations!! You have a real RL411 water pump and fan hub. They are really rare to find,

I have several, well I have several RL411s.  There's a place in Oregon that can rebuild them as well.

Looking good on the parts.

Another question on the plating- I had some done and it did not turn out as shiny as I would have liked.  I think I just glass beaded most of mine.  What do you do for preparation?  Steel wool?  Wire brush?  Something else?

Thanks.

So no blasting is needed.  Clean any oil or grease with Gas or solvent soak.  I don't have a blaster so I do a wire brush next to clean anything else remaining, dirt and rust.  Pitting will require blasting or I grind the pits out.   Immediately after a Muriatic Acid soak (removes old plating), I will wire brush to get the shine.  I will Copy Cad within the same day else the shine starts to fade.  If it's not shiny now, it likely wont be so wire brush is the key for my prep process.  

There is some technique for shine in the Copy Cad process.  Using brightener every couple hours, low amps will make it dull, when you pull the part out of the zinc bath, it should be mostly shiny, similar to stainless steel, followed by a 4 second dip in 5% muriatic acid should really make in shine (you can see it pop) else the zinc plate was not good.  

I didn't invent this process, I mimicked Mikes process mostly, most people have seen this.   There are many bad videos out there too.  Although he does do blasting. Part 1 is his Prep process.  

Also, you can compare my Zinc chromate to Ztherapy's, mine is much brighter.  This may be due to poor plating or prep or light use of yellow chromate in the Chromate soak.  I doubled up on the yellow chromate from what Caswell recommends.  I believe Mike below quadrupled the yellow.  If you are seeing very shiny parts going into the yellow bath but pale yellow coming out.  Up the yellow.  

Edited by Greaser2
  • Like 1