Any Chainsaw experts?

7 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

So Wayno what are you doing to light off? Stick lighter to the sparkplug hole? I burned all the hair off a couple of fingers screwing around like that so I never did that again but if it works I guess I could give it a go 

Yes, but I use a fireplace lighter at an angle, when the cylinder ignites it usually just pops and whistles, but that is the second time the exhaust system ignited when lighting off #4 cylinder, the first time the new muffler opened up its entire length, I pounded it and used hose clamps to get it back in shape/together and welded it closed, and then left the large hose clamps on it that I used to pull it back together, they likely are why it did not open up again, but it was a lot louder explosion that first time, but it opened up and that might have been why it was louder.

The spark plugs needed re-gapped, I think that was why it would not start, it started great this morning, but it only sat overnight and not a week or more, I am hopeful that the wide gap was the issue to start with, I set the gap at .35, I believe it was over .50 maybe .60, it was a huge gap and all of them were the same.

Too much fuel/fumes get into the exhaust system when it does not try to start.

Edited by wayno
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear ya on the exploding muffler. I had trouble starting a '63-ish Chev and the explosion split the muffler (which was under the driver's seat) and bent the floor upwards. Stung the undersides of my feet, the window was down so my ears rang to the next day.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

s-l500 (4).jpg

This fucking thing! Not a chainsaw but my little Briggs & Stratton generator. I am up at 7k feet and so my generator runs a bit rich (I haven't researched re-jetting yet as just setting up on an empty plot of land is a full time job) I have the beginnings of my solar array setup but its deep winter up here and not sunny enough for full time use so I have a 100 amp battery charger that is powered off my generator so I can top the battery array up. Well a couple days ago, I got some kind of sickness and twisted my knee out of socket which is now the size of a grapefruit! so I felt like double shit and couldn't walk. I am in my place with the generator on and hear it start to stumble and bog... oh great. I really wanted to have power as there isn't much to do while healing other than sit in bed. I crawl my ass out to my shed and sit on the wet/snowy ground and try to start her up. I hear this weird sucking sound that sounds like a vacuum leak. So I tear into her as best as I can sitting on my ass not being to bend my left leg. Take most of the cowling/cover off, check the air filters, check the spark plug, check for fuel, check for vacuum leaks with some spray and nothing... I am hurting bad now expending so much energy and really frustrated. Then I notice little tiny little screw in the outlet of the exhaust pipe. Took it out and this little fucking screen that looks similar to the one above falls out. It was CAKED with carbon. Gave her a pull, fires right up and blows a big puff of carbon out the muffler. I will NOT be putting that screen back in!  

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Ben running straight gas? 😆

Sure looks like it but I am anal retentive about 2 strokes. If I buy gas the first thing I do is add oil. I mean straight to the shop with the can. No piss breaks just a single mission focus until the gas is mixed before I do anything else. Cause sometimes I do forget things. Like leaving a brake job and between it and the tool box forgetting which wrench I needed. Or maybe returning to what I am working on without the tool! The problem is I have 3 other projects on my mind while working on the current one.

We accidentally topped a fuel tank in a Sunbeam Alpine with diesel last fall. Thank God we caught it in time.

My dad accidentally put some race gas in his Subaru a couple months ago and toasted the cats and the O2 sensors. He'll never do that again. The tank was almost dry and he put a tad in just to get him to the gas station. Or so he says...

• Like 3