Turd bucket 510

DARIN 510

1 minute ago, DARIN 510 said:

Good lookin out skib. That was the first thing I did when I started on it. Forgot to post pics but I sanded and prep the whole cowl drain area and Por15 it. 

Your on it then 👍

That middle drain is an easy thing to overlook that can make things much nicer, or way worse later lol

Lots of people don't even know its there.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Skib said:

Your on it then 👍

That middle drain is an easy thing to overlook that can make things much nicer, or way worse later lol

Lots of people don't even know its there.

For as much rust as this car has, I lucked out that it hasn't rusted through the inside drain hump. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WAGON JON said:

Looking like it is coming together well. What's in store for brakes and suspension? 

280zx fronts with S13 coilovers. Rears I will keep the stock drums with moded S13 rear coilovers. Working on some custom front T/C rods. Will post pics later. Gotta keep you guys interested lol

• Like 5

So here is what I’m working on with the suspension. I combined some parts I had laying around with some stock stuff, extra springs that are softer, top hats. Some Frankenstein moding if you will. If you see the pics of how they came stock from the coilovers I cut the bottom mounts off for the S13 as they are too big. So I cut both ends off one from the stocks shocks so they will bolt right on and the coilovers side to weld onto. 

E8377E43-7581-407D-9249-DD2973393245.jpeg

1968FC55-7F24-4142-A150-09356BBD852C.jpeg

A7367C04-36D2-4612-B9EE-3F67320FC18D.jpeg

37E56067-5AE0-4C9B-84F3-FF84A6E76686.jpeg

Edited by DARIN 510
  • Like 2
On 12/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You must consider the loading on the bushings. With coilovers, the entire weight of the car is resting on them.

Are you referring to because the shocks weren’t designed to carry the weight of the vehicle? I know they make poly bushing replacements too. Would that be better you think ?

• Like 1
On 12/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You must consider the loading on the bushings. With coilovers, the entire weight of the car is resting on them.

Also  remember that every change in rear ride height you will change both toe and camber. Both will make major handling changes without and visual change. Most of those changes are pretty dangerous or tricky. Lots of 510s with smashed rear ends from this. Once mastered though that trailing throttle oversteer is great fun. That's largely why 510s are great autocrossers. The look is the least thing you are chasing.

When we first put coilovers on the back of the Pink car the lower mount bolt would loosen every day. We were hillclimbing, maybe 15 minutes a day hard use. This was with spherical bushings too. I ended up reengineering the whole system to use grade 8 through bolts in double shear. They never loosened again, but beware and pay careful attention, there's a lot more stress there than you imagine......

Dennis

• Like 2
On 12/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, shlammed said:

Did you also reuse the 510 upper bushing?

this is on par with my plans for coils. 
what brand is the one you used? 

I did not. I used the bushings that came with the coilovers.  It’s some off brand-eBay Amazon etc. I bought mine on Amazon. 

12 hours ago, DHale_510 said:

Also  remember that every change in rear ride height you will change both toe and camber. Both will make major handling changes without and visual change. Most of those changes are pretty dangerous or tricky. Lots of 510s with smashed rear ends from this. Once mastered though that trailing throttle oversteer is great fun. That's largely why 510s are great autocrossers. The look is the least thing you are chasing.

When we first put coilovers on the back of the Pink car the lower mount bolt would loosen every day. We were hillclimbing, maybe 15 minutes a day hard use. This was with spherical bushings too. I ended up reengineering the whole system to use grade 8 through bolts in double shear. They never loosened again, but beware and pay careful attention, there's a lot more stress there than you imagine......

Dennis

Oh good to know. I’ll keep an eye on that then.my other 510 I slotted the rear. I can do my own alignments. 

• Like 1