Diary of a 63 NL320

Rusty

so is he going to be running bag over axel then? those bars are too small to do it any other way, unless you run a 6 link and put the bags on the rear bars.

Too small for what? No bag over axle bullshit for us homie! Bags are going on the lower bars.

If you're saying they're not strong enough, then I would have to disagree. 1" OD x .156 wall DOM.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just seen bad things come of small lower bars with bags mounted mainly the surface area to put the mounts on, i have found bigger bars just seem to work better for me i like running square tubing. my brothers truck is a prime example.. but if they will work at least you are not going bag over axel i hate the ride once you ride bag on bars you will never go bag over axel.. just a thought what about doing a 6 link and run the bags on the back bars.

oh and a interesting tid bit... My buddy put his four link on his mazda yesterday, he is building a six link so he tried something different and ran the short bars on bottom and long ones up top and voila his pinion angle never changes through the suspension stroke.. i thought it was interesting.

oh and you ever thought of making a back half like that for a 620 cause i like it?

If it's the back half of a drum 620...wouldn't t simply need to be wider. The 320 frame for the NL is the same as the L except for a couple of body mounts. The 320 frame is nearly identical....as I understand it....to the 520-620(drum) frames except that it's 3" narrower.

So...Bee can probably just use the same patterns....

If I where you I would make the lower bars bigger, I know its .156 dom but I never run bags on anything less then 1 1/2 .095 dom, and I use 2x2 .120 wall square tubing, it will probably hold depending on where you place the bag and how much stress is on it but ive seen way to many bent link bars, besides that its looking really good, nice work

• 2 weeks later...

Got the back half and 4-link setup done last weekend. Also attached back half to frame last week.

MVC-009F-4.jpg

MVC-010F-4.jpg

Old x-member:

MVC-006F-3.jpg

New x-member:

MVC-007F-3.jpg

MVC-008F-3.jpg

trimmed one x-member down, and had to replace the other so the frame would lay out.

MVC-013F-2.jpg

MVC-014F-3.jpg

made some clearance for the bags

MVC-011F-4.jpg

MVC-015F-3.jpg

The upper control arms are almost done, once I can mount them and the spindles/hubs, I will be able to make the lowers.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done on the front end this weekend. Everything is mocked up, need to make a new upper arm mount, notice I have spacers on the cross rod in the pictures. With the drop spindles it put the upper ball joint at too much of an angle. The truck will lay out, but only with weight on the front end. Once I raise the upper arm mount, the angle will be better and not bind up.

MVC-004F-3.jpg

MVC-005F-3.jpg

MVC-006F-4.jpg

MVC-007F-4.jpg

MVC-009F-5.jpg

MVC-010F-5.jpg

MVC-011F-5.jpg

MVC-013F-3.jpg

MVC-021F.jpg

MVC-020F.jpg

MVC-018F.jpg

MVC-015F-4.jpg

MVC-016F-1.jpg

MVC-017F-1.jpg

MVC-019F.jpg

Damn bee.... I don't know what to say.... damn.

Hell I am just happy when I turn my key and it runs, I can't imagine how you rock this stuff. You are like a rocket scientist to me.

2eDeYe;55427']Nice.

Are you going to beef up those lower A-arm mounts?

Weird to see those on a Datto truck chassis :D

Beef up? What, 1/4" plate and 7/8" cold rolled shaft isn't strong enough? Maybe a couple of gussets, but I've studied many different chassis manufacturers, i.e. Scott's Hod Rods and others; and they basically have the same lower mounts. They're pretty stout Steve.

Is there a reason that the upper control arm pivot it bolted on instead of welded? Is it to give it more adjustablity than just having the heim joints on the control arm? I'm just wondering cause with it bolted on it just seems like another thing that could loosen up.

Is there a reason that the upper control arm pivot it bolted on instead of welded? Is it to give it more adjustablity than just having the heim joints on the control arm? I'm just wondering cause with it bolted on it just seems like another thing that could loosen up.

Because it bolts on originally, didn't see a need to change it. The upper arms generally see little load against them.