Outside the Box Powertrain Swaps?

partytron69000

So the 4.3L vortec seems interesting. I just read a hot rod magazine article on it from back in 2014 when freiburger built one for an article. It’s compatible with most all small block parts and all small block transmissions.

They did rods, pistons, cam, valve train, lifters, and balanced the crank and made 300hp for all in cost of $3,000 (in 2014 money).

But what I’m thinking is, throw some boost at the 200hp stock block at the factory 9.5:1 compression ratio, gap the rings a little bit, and let her eat. 

It’s short enough to fit. Lots of trans options. Modern COP ignition with the later versions. Multi-port injection. And can be sourced from the millions of S-10’s/Sonoma’s.

Thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This brainstorming session plus my own discussions with friends has basically just made me realize I just need to save my money and get a hardbody as a donor and do a KA swap. And I can get fancy with the engine work to both challenge myself and make the engine more modern. Coil on plug conversion, garage rebuild, etc. Plus I’ve built KA’s for 240sx’s before, so it’s not a new engine to me. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, RyanC said:

You could got right outside the box, I've got 1 leg out Isuzu or nissan zd30?  Can be modded to 250 - 300hp ...rolling coal.

Or just do a KA 🤣

I feel like I have analysis paralysis at this point 😅. I feel like I could make any of these options work, it’s just a matter of picking one. 

• Like 1

Well, I have failed you all. Bought this yesterday 🤦‍♂️. 94 KA w/manual trans. $600. KA needs a rebuild but that’s ok because I’m building it for boost anyways. Seller thought the clutch was smoked, but it’s in fact the normal slave cylinder failure since I just started it in gear and it wanted to take off. 

wnOJedi.jpg

Decided the best compromise to challenge myself was to do the easier/well documented KA swap, but to do all the engine assembly myself, convert it to MAP sensor, convert to coil on plug ignition, put some decent boost to it, wire it all myself, and run it off megasquirt that I tune myself. 

Edited by partytron69000
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, partytron69000 said:

Decided the best compromise to challenge myself was to do the easier/well documented KA swap, but to do all the engine assembly myself, convert it to MAP sensor, convert to coil on plug ignition, put some decent boost to it, wire it all myself, and run it off megasquirt that I tune myself. 

I think this is an excellent conclusion.

Plenty of new things to try with proven stock to pull from.

When you hit road bumps you will also have people to bounce ideas off of.

I run LS2 coil packs, and a GM AIT on my L28 turbo and it works wonders just for cleaning up all the old school (giant) EFI parts.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RyanC said:

Please post the build not many KA builds down under.  In assuming 300kw build pretty straight forward when rebuilding and boosted.

100% will do. KA-T.org is a great resource for turbo KA builds. I was on that board all the time about 15 years ago, and looks like I’ll be back now lol. 

1 hour ago, RyanC said:

Please post the build not many KA builds down under.  In assuming 300kw build pretty straight forward when rebuilding and boosted.

Quite a few here, 300hp(224kw) can be done on stock internals.

Heres some good KA info

https://www.drifted.com/ka24de/ 

and a madlad (he talks about some of the engine details too)

• Like 1

Thanks both of you,  I'll do some searching.

I like the S14 over the S15 shapes, and here we only ever had them with SR20det's  no 240sx.

BIL had over 1000hp in a stroked sr20det s15 ....while it lasted 🤣.  Riding in that at about the 900hp mark like this one is an experience for sure!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

How close are the frames between the d21 and the 620?

Not sure how the d21 frame is condition wise but what are the possibilities of doing a frame swap since you have the whole truck....

They are similar, but different enough to make it a lot of work.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, partytron69000 said:

I couldn’t find any concrete info on that online since it’s not a common swap yet. I had just planned to buy one and find out lol. 

I thought it did but can't find anything online to confirm it.  I didn't realize there was a RWD 6 speed option! 

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

How close are the frames between the d21 and the 620?

Not sure how the d21 frame is condition wise but what are the possibilities of doing a frame swap since you have the whole truck....

The D21 will be sacrificing its frame rails as extra material when I notch the 620 frame for bags. I’m taking the Native American approach to this, no part of this buffalo is getting wasted. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, partytron69000 said:

The D21 will be sacrificing its frame rails as extra material when I notch the 620 frame for bags. I’m taking the Native American approach to this, no part of this buffalo is getting wasted. 

speaking of that, @]2eDeYe - am I allowed to post non-affiliate links in this forum? I wanted to poll the community on a bag mounting kit I found that’s supposed to be specific to 620’s.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, partytron69000 said:

speaking of that, @]2eDeYe - am I allowed to post non-affiliate links in this forum? I wanted to poll the community on a bag mounting kit I found that’s supposed to be specific to 620’s.

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

You can post whatever you like. As long as you're not spamming your own promotional messages, I assume. 

What he said 🙂

• Like 1