Hello I’m new to the forum here’s my 1972 Datsun 510 Waggon

On 7/7/2022 at 12:39 AM, datzenmike said:

CBsqIPD.jpg

Don't waste your time and money on a header. The stock manifold is good to 150 hp before a header has any significant advantage.

Header...

Noisy

Expensive

Leak at collector or gasket

Hotter under hood temperatures

Always rust in a few weeks and rust out in a few years.

Say they fit but never do perfectly.

Even on a mildly worked engine don't do anything because the stock manifold is good enough.

Only good thing about a header is they are lighter.

KA oil pump the best thing for an old engine. I always run them on my Datsuns.

Are the manifolds hard to find? Mines pretty much shot unfortunately.

I seen your post about the pump a long while ago and the opportunity arose and I took it I greatly appreciate that tip!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/7/2022 at 9:02 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

OK I had a 200k motor and it just need a polish and std size bearings.  Im sure a 70k motor will be fine. I can see a regasket.  personally I would just do a L20 then if your going to waist time opening up a L16

Why would I go to a completely different motor for a few hp? When main and rod bearings are less than $50 together I’m gonna go with new ones. I’m not road racing trying to squeeze every bit of hp out of it. I’m going to be doing the speed limit driving state to state. I’m more about knowing what I have other than thinking when than if. I’m completely restoring the car it’s not a hey I don’t have a car so I’m gonna slap it together. Everything is going through with a fine toothed comb

If I ever decided to go to a different motor I have a 13b that’s been semi PPorted fully balanced and has aviation apex and ceramic side seals. 😁😁🤘🤘

Edited by Markimusprime56
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, edekalil said:

Welcome to the forum and looks like you have a good start to a fine Goon.

Thank you very much! I’m very blessed to have it. I respected and enjoyed knowing the man who originally owned it’s whole life. It was it his pride and joy. hoping to have her humming here soon. You have a beautiful set of 510s yourself bro!

• Like 1
On 7/8/2022 at 6:30 PM, Markimusprime56 said:

Are the manifolds hard to find? Mines pretty much shot unfortunately.

I seen your post about the pump a long while ago and the opportunity arose and I took it I greatly appreciate that tip!

They are out there if someones willing to give it up...

Fyi if you decide to use a header get a Remflex intake gasket and switch to studs.... no issue with leaks on mine...

Also get one or have it ceramic coated. This will reduce under hood temperatures and extend the life. I think wayno has dealt with a header over an extended period and said that there was some maintenance. Every year or so it needed removal and small cracks welded before they became big problems and hi-temp paint applied. I had one on my 521 back in the '70s and learned my lesson. On a stock engine it did nothing... but cost about $90 in '77 currency to find this out. Took all weekend to install, had to remove the torsion bar to get it in. Had to dent one of the pipes to clear something. The collector pipe flange bolts came loose like clockwork every 3 months even with lock nuts. Some of the above may have been from inexperience I admit. I would have put the cast manifold back on if a/ it didn't mean tearing the truck apart again and b/ by then I had thrown it away thinking I didn't need it. What a debacle!

On 7/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, Markimusprime56 said:

Thank you very much! I’m very blessed to have it. I respected and enjoyed knowing the man who originally owned it’s whole life. It was it his pride and joy. hoping to have her humming here soon. You have a beautiful set of 510s yourself bro!

Thank you 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Markimusprime56 said:

completely different motor for a few hp?

they not differernt allmost bolt in if you have a 200mm flywheel.

L16s are fine and almost free. to get. L20s lots out there also.

if you have a 13b ported find a RX3 to put it in. My buddy needs one for his 74 Mazda Pickup

https://zcardepot.com/collections/510#

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
On 7/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Markimusprime56 said:

Why would I go to a completely different motor for a few hp?

On a good day an L16 might make about 70-73 hp. An L18 about 10 more and an L20B about 20 more. That's over 27% increase!!! and the larger 25% displacement and longer L20B stroke gives a kick in the ass increase in torque too. All you need do is slip the 510 oil pan on and a 200mm car flywheel and it is the very definition of 'drops right in'. 

You would be hard pressed to wring 20 more hp out of an L16.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, datzenmike said:

On a good day an L16 might make about 70-73 hp. An L18 about 10 more and an L20B about 20 more. That's over 27% increase!!! and the larger 25% displacement and longer L20B stroke gives a kick in the ass increase in torque too. All you need do is slip the 510 oil pan on and a 200mm car flywheel and it is the very definition of 'drops right in'. 

You would be hard pressed to wring 20 more hp out of an L16.

It’ll be plenty of hp and mpgs for a few thousand mile trips till I decide to deck it out 😁

On 7/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

they not differernt allmost bolt in if you have a 200mm flywheel.

L16s are fine and almost free. to get. L20s lots out there also.

if you have a 13b ported find a RX3 to put it in. My buddy needs one for his 74 Mazda Pickup

https://zcardepot.com/collections/510#

Such a easy swap in these things with a angel Motorsports swap kit. It’ll sit in her crate till her day comes 🤘

Welcome & nice project!  I will have a stock cast iron exhaust manifold, HOWEVER I do not have any more downpipes (long NLA NLS unfortunately)!  If that is yours in the pic, use it!  PM if interested!

IF that is NOT yours in the pic, what do you have that you think is not good?

TJ

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, yenpit said:

Welcome & nice project!  I will have a stock cast iron exhaust manifold, HOWEVER I do not have any more downpipes (long NLA NLS unfortunately)!  If that is yours in the pic, use it!  PM if interested!

IF that is NOT yours in the pic, what do you have that you think is not good?

TJ

Thank you and very much appreciated! I’ll get you a shot of mine. The holes where the collector of the manifold mate to the downpipe are pretty much completely shot unfortunately. I’ve considered just welding it one piece to a new piece of pipe and just install a new collector just don’t know how well the material takes welds. I’ll get you some pictures later!

also how much would you like for a manifold? 😁

11 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I’m going with a electric fan I’ve got two fatboy fans waiting in the trunk. I prefer just having the lug of just the water pump and alternator. It’s got a really really nice alternator waiting for it as well 😁

Also rebuilt the transmission last year raysbestos clutches did the 4r100 steel planets and center support plus the snap ring ALL of the upgrades you can do to one of these including the transgo reprogramming kit 2k stall triple disk converter. Man they meant it when they said they’ll hold 1000ftlbs.

B2FAA4DE-313E-429B-877C-8F4A82C08A8F.jpeg

• Like 1

Quick question that just ran through my head. Has anyone ever T5 swapped one of these? I’m pretty familiar with them speaking I’ve been through about 12 in my older foxbody days and know of a few available. Hope everyone’s had a good weekend!

Also my car has one of the factory locking gas caps they want a arm and leg for these days but I don’t have the keys.. any ideas..?

E57F77A5-C9BB-4728-A10C-6F1EC8128F2B.png