Hello I’m new to the forum here’s my 1972 Datsun 510 Waggon

1 minute ago, Markimusprime56 said:

Where is a reputable company to buy a timing kit from? I plan on replacing everything it’s what I do.

I don't know but anything from or made in Japan is quality.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You already have the Weber. This is only part of the equation.... no turbo or turbo manifold or waste gate, or way to regulate boost pressure, or ignition retard or half a dozen other things to make this work and stay together. Some other things to think about are an oil cooler and O ringing the block. The ring end gap needs to be wider if boosting. It's endless really the stuff you have to do to keep from blowing up your engine with a turbo. If you want 150 hp the easy way, and cheaper and will last forever, is a KA24DE swap. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You already have the Weber. This is only part of the equation.... no turbo or turbo manifold or waste gate, or way to regulate boost pressure, or ignition retard or half a dozen other things to make this work and stay together. Some other things to think about are an oil cooler and O ringing the block. The ring end gap needs to be wider if boosting. It's endless really the stuff you have to do to keep from blowing up your engine with a turbo. If you want 150 hp the easy way, and cheaper and will last forever, is a KA24DE swap. 

I do have quite a bit of turbo parts from my foxbody making it NA again and a few projects from the past so I really only need a manifold or a blank flange and make one. I’m very good with a Tig with any material. I’m really just asking if anyone has had experience with that kit.. as far as ignition goes if I have to I’ll pull the crank trigger I have off the shelf and put all my msd boost crap on it. I’m just curious tbh. the only real thing I know about a Datsun is what I’ve read I know no one that does so if I ask random off the wall question about parts or part companies that’s just for info.. also I drove a 93 300z to HS still have my prom pics in it 😁

• Like 1

Our cars are almost twins - Paint code 906 Safari Brown?

IMG_1406-1.jpg.14e31c418b1f512b3355131ac506309b.jpg

New hatch vents - metal repros

IMG_1404-2-2.thumb.jpg.b259017e50d1f912ba4de2e3b8484e24.jpg

VG33 with carb

IMG_0760-1.thumb.jpg.fd7690f3a84ad1c71474b80751491f8b.jpg

I took the bumper overiders off and sold them at Powerland this year and bought the hatch vents. 🙂

You can see more info and pics on my project thread:

'72 510 Goon - Prova - because it will be a test.

I love the car, lots of other upgrades - you will love yours too. I look forward to seeing your progress and welcome to the forum.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Markimusprime56 said:

Rods are Same as stock B319-F207-5475-46-BB-85-A7-CA345214361-C so this will work?

Be aware the rods your going to use float the wrist pin and uses clips to retain them in the piston.

The stock presses the pin into the rod and floats the piston.. so you'll need a floating piston that has retainers.  

• Thanks 2
On 7/4/2022 at 2:47 AM, rosso said:

Our cars are almost twins - Paint code 906 Safari Brown?

IMG_1406-1.jpg.14e31c418b1f512b3355131ac506309b.jpg

New hatch vents - metal repros

IMG_1404-2-2.thumb.jpg.b259017e50d1f912ba4de2e3b8484e24.jpg

VG33 with carb

IMG_0760-1.thumb.jpg.fd7690f3a84ad1c71474b80751491f8b.jpg

I took the bumper overiders off and sold them at Powerland this year and bought the hatch vents. 🙂

You can see more info and pics on my project thread:

'72 510 Goon - Prova - because it will be a test.

I love the car, lots of other upgrades - you will love yours too. I look forward to seeing your progress and welcome to the forum.

This absolutely made my day! Beautiful car man! I do believe I’m gonna throw out the idea of the pearl paint and go back to stock. I had no clue that was the color I’ve been trying every orange in the book to find out it’s brown 😂😂

• Like 1
On 7/4/2022 at 8:36 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Be aware the rods your going to use float the wrist pin and uses clips to retain them in the piston.

The stock presses the pin into the rod and floats the piston.. so you'll need a floating piston that has retainers.  

Noted! Thank you very much!

44 minutes ago, Markimusprime56 said:

Noted! Thank you very much!

Another little side note.... be careful using a dome piston.... flat tops would be best for what your doing...

This is for the L16 right?

I actually built my l16 up and have similar rods with wiseco 9cc dome pistons on them and they actually hit the head. I did switch to a w53 peanut head but I had to do alot of clearancing to make it work and ended up opening the chambers up 2cc..

If you're increasing compression with the piston a peanut head would be alot better than the stock 210 head. 

Bigger valves, runners and combustion area and with flat tops you get a nice quench area.. 

A peanut head is 41cc and the stock 210 is 38.5.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

it your motor dont have alot of miles I would just get a slack side guide and the tensioner.

alot of the kits out there are not the greatist. .The Tsubaki(Camllia is something like that) kit is the best.

OSK was good soem better than others.  Do NOT buy the Cloyes or Mellig versions.

If you only got 70k I would not worry about this!!!!!!!!!!!take my advice dont chainge it,

here is a good Japan water pump get these not the CHINESE ones out there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372989962803?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/asn-wpn-032?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+A&utm_term=4582214710515809&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba100b6d97ba

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 3
On 7/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Another little side note.... be careful using a dome piston.... flat tops would be best for what your doing...

This is for the L16 right?

I actually built my l16 up and have similar rods with wiseco 9cc dome pistons on them and they actually hit the head. I did switch to a w53 peanut head but I had to do alot of clearancing to make it work and ended up opening the chambers up 2cc..

If you're increasing compression with the piston a peanut head would be alot better than the stock 210 head. 

Bigger valves, runners and combustion area and with flat tops you get a nice quench area.. 

A peanut head is 41cc and the stock 210 is 38.5.... 

I’m probably just gonna bring her back stock. I’ve enjoyed how these things run as is and I’m sure it gets great mpgs these days.  I’m more less on the line of getting it completed then go from there. I’ve been on a hunt for a header lately since the manifold I have is pretty pretty much crap and might as well since I’m there 🤘🤘 thanks for all the tips I’ll definitely keep them for the future wherever it leads to!

On 7/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

it your motor dont have alot of miles I would just get a slack side guide and the tensioner.

alot of the kits out there are not the greatist. .The Tsubaki(Camllia is something like that) kit is the best.

OSK was good soem better than others.  Do NOT buy the Cloyes or Mellig versions.

If you only got 70k I would not worry about this!!!!!!!!!!!take my advice dont chainge it,

here is a good Japan water pump get these not the CHINESE ones out there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372989962803?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/asn-wpn-032?seid=srese2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+A&utm_term=4582214710515809&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba100b6d97ba

Eh, I’m not going to run bearings/rings and gasket in a motor that’s been sitting since 96. I’ll keep the stuff as a spare since it’s still new looking and looks good with bore gauges.. under torque.Some may but I’m not that guy. I’ve got a new water pump for it not a reman. If it craps on me I appreciate it!  I just picked up a oem 89 oil pump off a ka. It’s getting there I’ll have the motor assembled in a few weeks. 

Edited by Markimusprime56
48 minutes ago, Markimusprime56 said:

I’m probably just gonna bring her back stock. I’ve enjoyed how these things run as is and I’m sure it gets great mpgs these days.  I’m more less on the line of getting it completed then go from there. I’ve been on a hunt for a header lately since the manifold I have is pretty pretty much crap and might as well since I’m there 🤘🤘 thanks for all the tips I’ll definitely keep them for the future wherever it leads to!

CBsqIPD.jpg

Don't waste your time and money on a header. The stock manifold is good to 150 hp before a header has any significant advantage.

Header...

Noisy

Expensive

Leak at collector or gasket

Hotter under hood temperatures

Always rust in a few weeks and rust out in a few years.

Say they fit but never do perfectly.

Even on a mildly worked engine don't do anything because the stock manifold is good enough.

Only good thing about a header is they are lighter.

KA oil pump the best thing for an old engine. I always run them on my Datsuns.

• Like 2

If 70k.... and just 'rebuilt' it should be running tip top. Looking at the condition of the deposits on the cam towers and the rods and inside of the crank case either 170k or never had an oil change, or both.