Hello I’m new to the forum here’s my 1972 Datsun 510 Waggon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May have had an external supply 'spray bar' but unlikely. You have to have oil lubricating the valve train. Oil is fed into the hollow cam and out small holes on each cam lobe to spray all over the lifters. The block has a small restriction or 'jet' to slow the supply of oil down to manageable level. The front cam tower has a small hole to spray oil onto the can chain.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

May have had an external supply 'spray bar' but unlikely. You have to have oil lubricating the valve train. Oil is fed into the hollow cam and out small holes on each cam lobe to spray all over the lifters. The block has a small restriction or 'jet' to slow the supply of oil down to manageable level. The front cam tower has a small hole to spray oil onto the can chain.

No spray bar here. 😁 thank you for the clarification! It’s definitely a feed hole restrictor. You see them in transmissions all the time especially E4od/4r100/5r110. My rebuild kit came with a new one wondering if it’d hurt openings it up a little..speaking I’m opening up every oil passage on this ole girl.

Edited by Markimusprime56
On 8/11/2022 at 8:03 AM, Markimusprime56 said:

No spray bar here. 😁 thank you for the clarification! It’s definitely a feed hole restrictor. You see them in transmissions all the time especially E4od/4r100/5r110. My rebuild kit came with a new one wondering if it’d hurt openings it up a little..speaking I’m opening up every oil passage on this ole girl.

Do NOT open up that oil hole!  A customer purchased a built to the hilt L20 race engine, we installed it, first race his valve cover literally filled up with oil & made one hell of a mess!  Upon pulling the cyl head, found that the oil hole had been opened up WAY to much, thus pumped loads of oil up to the cyl head!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, yenpit said:

Do NOT open up that oil hole!  A customer purchased a built to the hilt L20 race engine, we installed it, first race his valve cover literally filled up with oil & made one hell of a mess!  Upon pulling the cyl head, found that the oil hole had been opened up WAY to much, thus pumped loads of oil up to the cyl head!

I don’t plan on it. I’m just tear dropping the passages for the crank. And opening that hole in the front cover.  Much appreciated though! 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yenpit said:

Where are you located and what do you charge to assemble one of these?

Just now, Markimusprime56 said:

Where are you located and what do you charge to assemble one of these?

To assemble an engine?  Unfortunately, we do not offer a build quote, as every build is different.  With machine work, labor & parts, it is really easy to spend $5000 minimum up to $15000 (for a built to hilt engine), with many options in between.  Please avoid California Datsun like the plague, as many have said online.  We will no longer use the other big Datsun engine builder in CA, for our race engines.....................too many issues in last 4 years.  Street engines I think they would be OK..................??

TJ

Ignite Performance

Denver CO

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yenpit said:

To assemble an engine?  Unfortunately, we do not offer a build quote, as every build is different.  With machine work, labor & parts, it is really easy to spend $5000 minimum up to $15000 (for a built to hilt engine), with many options in between.  Please avoid California Datsun like the plague, as many have said online.  We will no longer use the other big Datsun engine builder in CA, for our race engines.....................too many issues in last 4 years.  Street engines I think they would be OK..................??

TJ

Ignite Performance

Denver CO

It’s just a std bore std everything stock build. I’ve been looking at their motors on eBay but really can’t trust anyone but yourself anymore. Much appreciated and have a great one TJ.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry haven’t been able to post lately been having some serious health issues.. but I’ve finally got her on the stand and prepped for pistons 😁 hoping to get some more interesting posts for you all here soon..

0B37AF8B-6F3D-461D-8C34-4AEC680AF3D4.jpeg

• Like 1

well I purchased a megajolt edis system for the 510 today. Figured it’d be more reliable and the fact my wife will be driving the car at times I don’t want her on the side of the road because of shitty points these days.. Anyone here have a similar setup?

24 minutes ago, Markimusprime56 said:

well I purchased a megajolt edis system for the 510 today. Figured it’d be more reliable and the fact my wife will be driving the car at times I don’t want her on the side of the road because of shitty points these days.. Anyone here have a similar setup?

Are you going to run it with an EDIS 4?

I run Megasquirt with LS2 coil packs on my L28et

7 minutes ago, Skib said:

Are you going to run it with an EDIS 4?

I run Megasquirt with LS2 coil packs on my L28et

Yessir. Didn’t realize it but I actually had a aftermarket coil the edis and reluctor in an old 4cyl mustang tub of old parts up in storage (lucky me) 😁. Just need the pickup and it should be good to go! It’s gotta be more reliable than points anyday. Also you can use the 4.6/5.4 coils as well theirs a guy who makes a pretty nice bracket on eBay.

AAD498BE-8C73-498B-8472-1DC08B9933CB.png

Just now, Markimusprime56 said:

Yessir. Didn’t realize it but I actually had a aftermarket coil the edis and reluctor in an old 4cyl mustang tub of old parts up in storage (lucky me) 😁. Just need the pickup and it should be good to go! It’s gotta be more reliable than points anyday.

The EDIS 4 is a much better upgrade than points lol and it can be done on the cheap.

The only part that's not just about bolt on is fitting a trigger wheel to the crank pully.

4 minutes ago, Skib said:

The EDIS 4 is a much better upgrade than points lol and it can be done on the cheap.

The only part that's not just about bolt on is fitting a trigger wheel to the crank pully.

Oh for sure! I picked up the megajolt with the built in map for 219. Thankfully we have a machine shop at work whenever I go back I’ll make her fit. 

Wished id have known about this kit before I bought all this shit for the distributor lol.

I recognize the sellers name.

Guy names bryan blake, out of AZ iirc.

Hes a very talented machinist and engineer.

He built this twin cam, twin turbo L motor in 2006 or so.
The head is custom made from two KA24de heads.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Skib said:

I recognize the sellers name.

Guy names bryan blake, out of AZ iirc.

Hes a very talented machinist and engineer.

He built this twin cam, twin turbo L motor in 2006 or so.
The head is custom made from two KA24de heads.

hqdefault.jpg

He seems like he’s well rounded with fabrication. It’s nice to find people making these things more reliable with current parts. 

Thats absolutely badass and a piece of art man! 

2 minutes ago, Markimusprime56 said:

He seems like he’s well rounded with fabrication. It’s nice to find people making these things more reliable with current parts. 

Thats absolutely badass and a piece of art man! 

Its one of a kind lol you can actually see an EDIS6 coil pack mounted to the intake there.

Im a sucker for the ol L motor, easy to work on, easy to modify or modernize and pretty bullet proof. 

Its also all well documented.