Correct 620 Grill?

pyro

I was poking around and realized that there's a few different grills for the 620. Here's mine (a '74):

https://imgur.com/a/n1H7OMf

But I also know there's these styles too:

https://twstatic.net/attachments/20150419_141028_zps2jqbxwjn_404e8e8613d9a752c98c9ee3b66d2ec97da5f76d-jpg.2066085/

From what I can tell, its not just a model year thing, it seems like both grills came on the same years. Does anyone know the history of this? Was it an option? I kind of like the one with the stainless trim better.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nn3EBNY.jpeg

This is the '78-'79 grill which is supposed to be improved and less 'fragile' than the '73-'77 grill. It may be, but IMHO, it certainly didn't improve the looks and I prefer the older model. Both are interchangeable so one of the first things I did on my '78 was put an earlier grill on.  

1976 Datsun 620 pickup USA import £5500 Sussex | Retro Rides

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha. So mine must've been swapped by one of the previous owners, being its a 1974. I definitely MUCH prefer the older style. I found one for sale for $140 without the badge or the trim rings, but I have the badge. The problem seems to be those trim rings. I'm guessing its one of those parts (as with lots of 620 parts) that are pretty hard to find. I'll probably jump on that grill, but we'll see if I can find the trim rings.

The trim rings never stay on. It's a rare 620 that has all of them.

The hood also has a strip that matches to the grill when closed. Check the two pictures above. You could paint it black of gray to match the grill. The strip is aluminum or stainless and bolts in.

Oh okay, so I should see if I can find that trim that goes around the perimeter of the grill. Then for the trim rings I could probably just paint the grill where they go to create faux ones.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:56 PM, datzenmike said:

Mine were SS I think. It's bolted on and the holes rot out and the nuts seize. Polished with SOS pad.

Just mild steel. You were lucky lol. The one on my green truck is rotten.

The trim rings might be stainless. 

• Like 1
On 6/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Pics or it isn't true 😛

I also remember there was a guy making them for a decent price. But I no longer have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, so no clue how to even search for the guy

• Like 1
On 6/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, datzenmike said:

The trim rings never stay on. It's a rare 620 that has all of them.

That must explain the rivets holding mine on.  Not too familiar with the 620 and didn't know if those were stock or not.  🤣

Is there a difference between the trim ring, and non-trim ring grills? I like the trim ring grills better. I guess I will be the guinea pig here since I put my e-mail down for a heads up when they become available again.

Don

just so Datsun 620 owners need to know.

The left out side trim is the same as the right inside trim.

The right out side trim is the same as the left inside trim.

The repops do NOT have the metal tabs like originals, the repops require double sided tape or a caulking adhesive to attach to the early style grills. 

or if you got the early style grill, just paint the front edge in silver paint ( you'll need to fill the old holes ) or that fake chrome paint. 

• Like 1

I realize that the repop trim does NOT have any tabs on it, and will need to be installed with either body glue or double sided trim tape. The biggest thing right now is will I get anywhere with this wait.

Don

• 1 month later...

Well, update. I bought a new old stock early 620 grill from Yahoo JP auctions. Apparently the dude bought it and stored it without ever installing it. It has all the trim rings with minor blemishes. The kicker is that I got it for ~$225, and $130 for shipping from Japan. 

The weird thing is that it’s an odd gunmetal color, I thought they were all black? I’m wondering if it’s possibly a minor difference between the JDM and USDM 620s.

https://imgur.com/a/i3H7cE0

https://imgur.com/a/boYLuv9

https://imgur.com/a/NdZXgyY

• Like 2
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

her1R8L.jpeg

This is correct color. They were never black. The emblem is mission. This is a '73-'77 grill.

Oh wow. Well with that info, it seems I’ve gotten quite the steal. I can tell from looking at it that it hasn’t been used or installed on anything. The trim rings also have the tabs on the back, which tells me it’s most likely genuine too.

• 3 weeks later...