Sooo, no Canby or Blue Lake this year??

Steve521

I was really hoping to re-connect in person with fellow datto p.u. owners in the Portland area this year since I have my 2nd 521 now that actually runs and drives (well brakes went out but can fix that soon because they were working when I got it).  Are the Canby and/or Blue Lake park annual events cancelled now due to social distancing guidelines or something else?  I did look around for the answer but couldn't find any.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Steve521 said:

I was really hoping to re-connect in person with fellow datto p.u. owners in the Portland area this year since I have my 2nd 521 now that actually runs and drives (well brakes went out but can fix that soon because they were working when I got it).  Are the Canby and/or Blue Lake park annual events cancelled now due to social distancing guidelines or something else?  I did look around for the answer but couldn't find any.

Canby been gone since 2018 I believe and Blue lake was destroyed by covid regulations last few years. Not sure about this year. Dan's usually promoting it all ready.   Powerland, link posted above, is whats going this year. Come on by

• Like 2

the club that put on the canby show closed down after the 2018 show and jay has been gracious enough to get another show started on the same weekend and in a similar style as canby with powerland

don't know anything about blue lake for this year though

Thanks for the update/info, that sucks about the closed down events but glad for the one in Salem.  I will try to get out there this weekend but unfortunately the truck is not going to make it that far by then.  I will be looking at what happened with the brakes though this weekend hopefully.  What flat are you referring to Mike?

20 hours ago, Steve521 said:

Thanks for the update/info, that sucks about the closed down events but glad for the one in Salem.  I will try to get out there this weekend but unfortunately the truck is not going to make it that far by then.  I will be looking at what happened with the brakes though this weekend hopefully.  What flat are you referring to Mike?

"What flat are you referring to Mike?"

Running joke reference, don't worry about it.
3 minutes ago, Dguy210 said:

"What flat are you referring to Mike?"

Running joke reference, don't worry about it.

Micromachinery believes in the flat tire theory and can't be convinced that tires are really round.

• Haha 2

Sorry I have not been on here much, was in the Hospital memorial day weekend so still recovering. 

Right now we are waiting on the Park to get back to us.  That is our issue right now is Oregon parks is dragging their feet on letting us know if we can do the show. It has been a pain, and this year if we can do it, we wont even be able to have food due to new regulations that the park is forcing on us, saying we would have to pay $500.00 for a permit to have a food truck even come in. I am sorry I have not had more news, and will try to make a post later about it, but it has been very frustrating.  We also lost 2 of our club members due to Covid the last few years so really there is only 3 of us to throw the show on with our Families to help.  We are trying to get it to happen after such a long time of putting on this show 😞   I will keep everyone updated once we get a yes, or a no from the park.  

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Dan,

First let me say we, as part of the Datsun community, really appreciate all of the effort you and your family have put into this annual gathering over these many years. 

I have enjoyed so many encounters with like-minded enthusiasts while attending, and have been fortunate to make some lasting friendships at Blue Lake.

So, if you need some assistance - including financial - to get back on track, feel free to contact me. Perhaps we can get other participants in this forum to reach out to Oregon Parks as well. This may help them understand the significance of our interest in keeping the tradition alive. Strength in numbers may have an impact.

Enjoy the Ride!

Dave

• Like 3

So good news, I am just going to copy and paste everywhere as I have a few places to share.  Turns out the people speaking to my dad were a vendor company dealing for the park.  The park finally got back and told them our normal rate and to stop messing with us.  The format of the show will be changing, this year will be a bit odd as it is the first year back after 2 years, and it is last minute.  We will have awards, but be changing some of the categories.  The sad thing we are losing is the ability to offer food.  We will be trying to have water to sell, but they want us to get a food vendor permit, which is going to push the cost way to high for us.  Here is the info below. 

Blue Lake Datsun and Nissan show will be on the second Sunday of August 8/14/2022.  The gates open at 8am, but the show will not start until 10am.  But you can be there as we set up to chat.  This year we will not have food, we will have water to sell, as the park now requires a extra vendor permit to provide food.  In order to keep the show going, we will have to cut the food as we break even each year to do the show the next year.  We will be re-working our award categories this year due to the last minute notice of the show.  We are happy the Park was willing to work with us to give us our pre pandemic rates.  The show will run to around 3pm.  We will have our Raffle, and we have saved up some goodies for the last few years of not being able to do the show.  We hope to see you all out there,  Datsuns, Nissans, and Infinitis are welcome.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news! I am planning to attend. 

Note: This event is on the same day as the Providence Bridge Pedal bike ride - which causes closures of I-405 and and various bridges from 5 am - noon. So, for those planning on driving to Blue Lake - especially from the West Side, keep that in mind and select a route that will avoid the traffic chaos.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.