A/C KIT INSTALLED?

MR2PLUS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have installed two OEM dealer AC kits into B310s. They work good except its essentially vacuum operated, so if you have to give the car a lot of gas to keep up with traffic, it's constantly turning off the AC. Most modern systems are going to use electronic control of everything instead, so something to think about. Additionally be sure to run a very large radiator and add a condensor fan to the car.

14 hours ago, MR2PLUS said:

my thoughts were along the lines of using a newer sanden sd7b10 compressor but then I would have to fabricate the mounting hardware/brackets. I was hoping someone had a better solution

The only problem with that compressor is it's set up for a serpentine belt....

I have this compressor fitted to my 521 with an L16 block.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-A-C-Compressor-Cluth-For-Jeep-Wrangler-85-90-2-5L-For-Sanden-SD508-CO-9285C-/172779752274?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

You will probably have to make the bracket....

Everything else was universal....

Screenshot_20210831-085951_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

thank you, I have looked at this compressor, what side of the engine did you mount it on? I have also found the sd7b10 comes with the v-belt pulley. thius compressor is quite small but works well in retro fitting.

did you make a pattern to build the bracket? how close is the steering box to the mounted compressor? and how is the belt adjusted? thanks for your insight

curt

I had a custom made A.C. and heater system installed in my 85 Nissan 720 4x4 back in January 2021.Everything,I mean every Nissan part is gone.The switches with the cables are gone,everything under the dash is gone,The A.C hose is gone with new one rerouted.Where the heater core hose came thru the firewall is gone,hole is plugged.The electrical wiring is redone.New compressor,new dryer.The blower motor is gone with all the under dash vents.Old Heater core is no more.I went all out.The same guy that installed my Jasper engine back in 2009 did it.I now have 90,000 miles on that engine.I would take some pictures and post them but can't figure out how to.I just spent a lot on my 720,new paint job,new tires and rims,new exhaust new brakes.Tell me how to post pictures and I will show you all.

2 hours ago, MR2PLUS said:

thank you, I have looked at this compressor, what side of the engine did you mount it on? I have also found the sd7b10 comes with the v-belt pulley. thius compressor is quite small but works well in retro fitting.

did you make a pattern to build the bracket? how close is the steering box to the mounted compressor? and how is the belt adjusted? thanks for your insight

curt

That's the biggest thing is having the vbelt.... I also had the double v crank pulley... I basically put the compressor where the smog/air pump would have been.... 

So if you look in the engine bay , on the right....

I believe it was a homemade bracket to begin with and was ment for a 6cyl z car motor... I took a gamble to see if it would work.... it didnt, I believe at first the compressor hit my steering box, so I basically notched it to clear the distributor and redrilled the mounting holes to position it as high as possible.....

I have about 1/2 inch clearance to the steering box now... adjusting sucks, I have been meaning to look into that more... right now its pry with big screwdriver and tighten bolts..

I believe I do have patterns for the bracket... I actually just looked and I found them..... I still need to trim them out....

I actually welded a piece of metal on my bracket (not seen in picture) to catch the bottom 2 holes on the block... I templated what I ended up with in the end.....

20210831_194045.jpg

Screenshot_20210831-195213_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210831-200204_Gallery.jpg

Hello Crashtd420, on your a/c install did you wire both fans to come on at engine temp or one for engine temp and one for a/c compressor on? Im running the L20b with the fan clutch /water pump and wondered ,do I need an additional a/c fan? I think a pair of 7" electrics will fit outside of the condenser but its getting tight with the aluminum rad and a condenser. What do you think? 

12 hours ago, MR2PLUS said:

Hello Crashtd420, on your a/c install did you wire both fans to come on at engine temp or one for engine temp and one for a/c compressor on? Im running the L20b with the fan clutch /water pump and wondered ,do I need an additional a/c fan? I think a pair of 7" electrics will fit outside of the condenser but its getting tight with the aluminum rad and a condenser. What do you think? 

The fans I have are purely for engine cooling, they both come on together... I have no fan attached to my water pump....

I do know you want a fan running when you are using the ac, so I either wait for the truck to come up to temp (not to often) and the fans come on or I have a toggle to activate the fans..

I wanted to put a pusher fan on the front but I have absolutely no room to do that.... so in short your stock fan would work but you might have to be up to temperature for the fan clutch to be engaging.... I think you'd be fine, but if you can get an electric fan on the condenser that would be a good idea even if you only fit one..

I dont remember if I mentioned this, one other thing I had to do was something called and idle up solenoid. I should have been in my thread too...

When the ac compressor clutch turns on it does put a load on the engine, so it will probably stumble and stall at idle without one....

I did the easy wiring on that with just a toggle to activate a higher idle... I was going to tie it into the fan from the interior ac unit but the wires going to the fan were all separate for high, med, and low. 

I think I could have used the ac compressor trigger wire so it would idle up and down as the ac clutch cycled but I never went back to look at that.... there might even be some type of control unit but I never looked into it.....

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Thanks,how do I post pictures here.

At the bottom of the comment window there should be an attachment option with a "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." that will allow you to attach them to your message. If you prefer hosting the images and linking them here then I would recommend imgur.com for hosting