Reducing manual steering effort

Right hand in cast & left in brace (totaled 87 Turbo Sprint - don't ask)

Will be downgrading to 185/75r14 instead of the 205's (maybe 185's in front and 205's in rear since like the final drive bump.)

Would consider anything else to reduce man steering effort...  over inflation also effective as well as king pins greased (5% moly EP) every 500 miles.

Tempted to find a "steering wheel knob"  LOL

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do you think old trucks had such massive steering wheels? To make steering them easier.

I use different diameter steering wheels in the race cars. Sometimes I like it firm, other times, a little "sawing at the wheel" lessens the fatigue.

Having the steering wheel close to you helps too. Look at how Nascar drivers sit so close to the wheel.

worn kingpins are harder to turn

mine doesn't seem to have a lot of caster, but yes, caster does contribute to steering effort.

I'm 68 and have had my fun illegal street racing and track days

I've never had the 185's on my 620 and am thinking may be satisfied with them.

Suicide Knob yeah couldn't remember the "proper" name for them.  Yes they are illegal but that never stopped me from doing anything. 

If someone made a complete PS kit might consider buying but need to get the 185's first.

Thanks, I think all the bases have been covered.

• Like 1

+1 for electric assist, here is how you sort shaft/column length image.jpeg.80ff9119c7c8ac1a15a891f9943691b6.jpeg
I have not done it, but did much research on it and grabbed the necessary parts from the U-pull. It's in one of my "this is a good idea and when I get around to it will be awesome boxes"

• Like 2

But the 620 column has a tube that runs from the steering wheel to the box. You'd have to shorten the tube and then figure out how to support the column. I have done this, and it means engineering, machine work and fabrication, which most people aren't comfortable with.

If you're curious, see my 320 Balljoint Conversion thread in the 320 section.

• Like 1