Compression in my J13 engine

Rusty Dawg

I can't say that this is a distinct possibility, but I'm thinking that the six-screw heads can be changed to the two-rocker-tower-studs cover by changing out two studs with longer ones for the two-stud cover and gasket. Most people would say "Why in Hell would anyone want to engineer backwards" ?? Well I ani't most people but didn't need to on the 320 cover on mine. Our 320 has the original E1 going by the cowl tag, but seems to have had some updates over the previous owners. Has the two-stud rocker cover head but has spin-on foil filter. Those are temporary bolts in the Pic during build-up; note that the head studs were not in yet. The cover and cap are MGA and the final mounting has the big British knurled-chrome retaining nuts.

E-1-Whiskey.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the suggestion difrangia, but I think I want to give the cover I have one or maybe two more tries before re-engineering.  The bummer part was that the old one in the photo seemed to not leak when I ran her for 30 minutes or so before going out of commission with a cracked head.  I am using the same valve cover from my old head, but I will need to look at the cover from the head in the truck now that came from another engine.

IMG_3446.jpg

• Like 1

I saw your video on IG. Truck looks and sounds good.

Hey Steve, I always get a kick out of seeing booze in shop pics. I am careful to send progress pics without booze in them to my customers. After all, I take my pics at the end of day, around whisky:30, but they might not understand...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I saw your video on IG. Truck looks and sounds good.

Hey Steve, I always get a kick out of seeing booze in shop pics. I am careful to send progress pics without booze in them to my customers. After all, I take my pics at the end of day, around whisky:30, but they might not understand...

Matt, 1:30-2:00 PM EVERY day is 'Tinnie-Time' around our house/shop. A milestone in any project can be occasion for various mental lubrications. Every machine needs it's proper lube to keep running properly. You're a professional as evidenced by projects that you've posted here and on your sites. Generally, the customer doesn't need to see the 'Trade Secrets' of the artisian.  Kinda like christening a ship; over & over just

to be sure you got it done right.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 3/25/2021 at 10:24 PM, Rusty Dawg said:

I've been able to find 2 complete J13 motors in the NW for free as long as I arrange freight, so I might go that direction.  The individual just wanted to swap out to an "A" series engine on both vehicles.  Threads don't concern me, but when you mention that I need to watch out for things such as "gears" it makes me nervous.  Anytime I have to modify something to make it work, I tend to stay away.

Hey Rusty Dawg. I am in the northwest and am looking for a j13 engine. Do you know if any of them are still available?

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, grimdadsun said:

Hey Rusty Dawg. I am in the northwest and am looking for a j13 engine. Do you know if any of them are still available?

I did picked up an engine from Southern CA and I used the head from it....once repaired.  The same person that sold me the engine sent me an extra head and although repairable, I took the one off the engine that was in better shape, although also cracked.  Bottom line is, I do have an engine I would sell that needs to have the head repaired.  They are tough to find, but not worth a lot. 

Let me know if you are interested.  

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, grimdadsun said:

Sorry, I just re-read your post referring to the free engines and the individual wound up tossing them away😟.  In all my searches the only other engine I could find was in Michigan at an auto salvage yard, but the freight was too high considering I found one 5 hours away.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

Sorry, I just re-read your post referring to the free engines and the individual wound up tossing them away😟.  In all my searches the only other engine I could find was in Michigan at an auto salvage yard, but the freight was too high considering I found one 5 hours away.

It is all good, I ended up finding 3 L20b's in various states local to me for a steal.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, Charlie69 said:

I have a 520 service bulletin 52 May 1965 PDF that shows comparison of E1 and J13 engine parts. I would like to share all my manual PDFs with the Datsun Nissan world.

Datsun 520 Service Bulletin 52s.jpg

Charlie69, did you find a way to share this PDF?

• Like 1
On 6/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I wish someone would try an MG engine swap. The two engines are so close, it might even be a bolt in procedure.

I don't think he's on the forum but Adrian Diehm down in Australia is doing this on an N320 resto mod. He's on the 320 Facebook group.

• Like 2

hucklefish I have not been able to get this done for the reason, if I open the the booklet wide enough to scan the booklet will come  apart.  I do not have this booklet any more.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I wish someone would try an MG engine swap. The two engines are so close, it might even be a bolt in procedure.

What do you mean by this?  I have a second 1960 221 with an MG 1500 in it with the original Datsun trans and intake/exhaust manifolds.

• Like 1

Austin and Nissan got in bed together in the mid '50s with Nissan manufacturing Austin cars under license and with Austin parts. This gave Nissan access to plans and patents and their early engines designs were heavily influenced by British designs. I've heard about J series and MG similarities.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

What do you mean by this?  I have a second 1960 221 with an MG 1500 in it with the original Datsun trans and intake/exhaust manifolds.

I mean that there are so many parts available for MG engines, and the B came with an 1800, so with the near identical architecture, wit would be interesting to see what it takes to get it done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 7:32 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I mean that there are so many parts available for MG engines, and the B came with an 1800, so with the near identical architecture, wit would be interesting to see what it takes to get it done.

"....interesting to see what it takes to get it done."  That makes two of us😀

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The BMC B Series engine is spec’ed in British Standard not SAE Standard measurements for threading. I once had to machine the BMC crank dog thread to mate to the Datsun/Nissan SAE Standard crank fitting.

Keith

Edited by zed1
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, zed1 said:

The BMC B Series engine is spec’ed in British Standard not SAE Standard measurements for threading. I once had to machine the BMC crank dog thread to mate to the Datsun/Nissan SAE Standard crank fitting.

Keith

Not true. Only the ports for plumbing nipples are BSP. Everything else is SAE.

Older MGs engines, like an XPAG in a TD, are definitely BSP.

EDIT - I said BSP when what I meant was Whitworth.  Whitworth and BSP are sub-categories of British Standard.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Not true. Only the ports for plumbing nipples are BSP. Everything else is SAE.

Older MGs engines, like an XPAG in a TD, are definitely BSP.

EDIT - I said BSP when what I meant was Whitworth.  Whitworth and BSP are sub-categories of British Standard.

We have different experiences with different BMC B Series engines. I purchased my crank dog from Kip Motors and the crank dog was certainly British Standard.  I did not spec and measure every other BMC B Series part, but deferred to Kip (owner) for his guidance on machining to fit the Datsun/Nissan J13 engine. 
Keith

14 hours ago, zed1 said:

We have different experiences with different BMC B Series engines. I purchased my crank dog from Kip Motors and the crank dog was certainly British Standard.  I did not spec and measure every other BMC B Series part, but deferred to Kip (owner) for his guidance on machining to fit the Datsun/Nissan J13 engine. 
Keith

Crank dog?

Maybe the crank threads are British Standard, I don't know, but everything else, aside from the plumbing threads, are SAE.