It Identifies as a Datsun, Dr30 skyline fun.

Lozer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started with the basics. Leak down was good, Got a wide band, AFR's were lean at high boost (above 8 psi) Boost was inconsistent and felt weak.

Replaced the "stock" fuel pump with a Bosch 044 and the lean issue went away.

Took the exhaust off and found the bearings to the turbo were mostly gone ( still spinney but fair amount of play).

Replaced a shit load of hoses and vacuum lines. Blew out the radiator and flushed the ever living hell out of the engine ( lots of rust in the coolant). 

120192866_10224000414988275_6129974562951075825_o.jpg

120665802_10224068263324441_685974179271272714_n.jpg

Edited by Lozer
  • Like 1

Got a chance to take her out for an autoX @ sonoma back in October.  Had a blast, discovered the r200 clsd  is borked so I lit some 1 tire fires and got terrible times but still had a blast.  

I picked up some Stance s14 coilovers for the rear after the autoX. Fronts have what look to be 280zx t3 coilovers installed with 220 lbs spring. Gonna need to bring those up a bit to match the new stance coilovers.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 3

Some of my parts started showing up from the far east. Got a r31 Spoiler for the trunk (I like the style). Scored some awesome retro rear shelf speakers that were restored with working drivers and cones. Then took her out for a last shoot before I yank this turbo set up and redo the hole shebang.

126856829_10224438096970051_6848300030625804557_o.jpg

small #1.jpg

GOPR0026v2.jpg

tails@1.jpg

small #3.jpg

• Like 4

Started  tearing out all the old stuff and prepping for the new.  Had to bore out the old injector holes to fit the new r35 gtr injectors. My fuel rail from Plazmaman came in and looks awesome. The most challenging part was fabing up the harness connector from the new JWT ecu to the old harness. Had to add a couple wires for the TPS and new z32 maf. In retrospect I probably should have done a megasquirt but I have no experience with tuning fuel and timing maps. 

dFqMOsj.jpg

Gc2cBcR.jpg

gAihsrA.jpg

uCGbAcJ.jpg

Edited by Lozer
  • Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...

So... slow going now. Im fighting with an odd issue where the engine runs great while it cold but the second you hit the throttle it shits itself and dosent want to run again till its cold. I can get her to run but ive gotta crack the throttle stop till its chugging at 2.5k rpm and she super lean... datalogging for Jwt so they can see whats going on.

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Sounds very frustrating. Is the computer seeing the TPS?

Yup little shit like this always seems to happen on a big project, especially when I'm trudging around in non bolt on land.

On the bright side I may have found the problem...... my maf plug was just barely connected..... FFS  it would work ok and shop up in the data logging until I gave her some gas then all the sensors would spike to max Voltage and shut down. 

So got a new plug with the nifty quick release coming. It still wants to shut down when i let off the gas but thats most likely maf placement or  the fact I deleted all the non essential systems (egr, aac, cold start valve) 

I did get to take her out  for a little test run in front and wooo she may be more powerful then my 510 sr20det.

log1.jfif log2.jfif

Saturday fuckaround day update.  So I moved the maf over to post inter cooler and that took care of the stalling off throttle  and the car ran awesome for a bit...... Then started randomly going into limp mode.  Still it was good enough to drive for a bit and 10 psi is just silly, cant wait to turn it up to 20. I moved the maf back to being a suck through setup and added a 90 to the tubo inlet and that seems to have taken care of the off throttle stall. I'll test her out some more tomorrow.  

The real pisser is that my data logging software suddenly quit working and keeps crashing my laptop. Shit worked fine on Thursday but today it wont record fuck all. Nissan data scan.

145141624_10225050821167773_4041327106457085470_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks gmkeegan. I ended up scoring a seemingly new greddy twin spool top mount from one of our Australian brothers. 

So It all came together and seems to be sorted for the moment. Gotta go do a couple runs and start turning up the boost. Next is the msd unit, the steering rebuild/swap/, then rebuild of tired ungrabby CLSD.

145232742_10225064675434121_8372626850308089405_n.jpg

145447047_10225064675794130_101926475460192093_n.jpg

144926970_10225064676154139_4254577253911570425_n.jpg

• Like 3

Sooo, had a good day with her. Ran a couple runs down highway 1. Had the Maf trip out a couple times and go into limp mode, quick restart and back to normal. Went and got gas and she did it again.  Seems to have stopped after that (possibly burning off oil on the wire, its a brand new delphi z32 maf).
So I started playing with the boost  7 psi base spring, fun but not great... Kept messing with the Innovate wideband/ boost controller and the damn thing wouldn't raise boost at all.  SO I checked my wastegate plumbing and swapped it around from  the first pic to the second.  I turned down the controller thank god.

Took her out for another blast up the 1 and HOOOOOOLY SHIT 16psi all at once. Counter steering the slide before I even realized it... Lol Blasted down the highway and back, as I was full boost in 4th I hear the pop and power loss.... Rolled it into the garage and stupid hose popped off.

wg1.jpg

wg2.jpg

pop off.jpg

Those spontaneous hose separations under boost can be very disconcerting.  Had an intercooler hose come off on my VR4 one time at about 115 mph on a back country road late at night, I think running about 17 psi.  Made such an explosive noise I thought the entire engine let go.

Liking what you are doing with this powerplant.  I would love to have an FJ for my 510.  Any body have one for sale?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Those spontaneous hose separations under boost can be very disconcerting.  Had an intercooler hose come off on my VR4 one time at about 115 mph on a back country road late at night, I think running about 17 psi.  Made such an explosive noise I thought the entire engine let go.

Liking what you are doing with this powerplant.  I would love to have an FJ for my 510.  Any body have one for sale?

There is guy down here in SoCals that has a few including my old one as I had 2 of them. 

1 hour ago, Lozer said:

I see them over in Australia for the price of a california house.... your best bet is yahoo auctions japan, the price is reasonable but shipping is on par with prison rape.

Shipping would not be worth it, plus from Japan it could be a failure, with a cracked crank, or what ever. 

Also on Facebook which I don't have no more there is a fj20 site that would love to have you guys with all the info you need.

• Like 1

So I was cruising yahoo auctions japan last night and my love of obscure audio equipment got the better of me.  I bid on the dual sub kenwood SW201X unit and apparently won it. Shipping is gonna suck....

download.jpeg

Edited by Lozer
  • Like 1

So finally got my actual factory (used) Nissan maf. The difference between the delphi and the nissan unit are noticable. The nissan unit has a smoother voltage (less jumpy) and seems to read correctly to give me a richer mixture. 14.4 at idle. The delphi always wanted to force the car lean.   Im running it after the intercooler, i've always run mafs like this it seems to be more reliable and you can still get home after blowing off a line.

I also ran the inlet filter out the fender.

20210210_221425.jpg

Edited by Lozer
Me type bad.
  • Like 3

So had my first uneventful drive tonight. (No blips, stalls, limp mode shit). Took it out to my work and sonofabitch was still randomly going into limp mode when off throttle for more then a moment. Luckily i was datalogging so i noticed the tps voltage going down to .44 at one point.  Changed the voltage to.5 and did another log home with no errors or other bs.

Never knew a voltage below .45 would cause limp mode.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So my kenwood sub came in from Japan today. Did a quick hook up before final mount and I'm pleased to say it sounds good and not blown. Looks kinda trick too.

Still having random limp mode hits seems to be the TPS (tried a new one and same shit) Ran a new ground tonight just for the tps i'll find out tomorrow if it's better.

kenwood sub.jpg

• Like 4