It Identifies as a Datsun, Dr30 skyline fun.

Lozer

So no dice on running new grounds, but i was up testing different maf setups till 2 am Saturday and found a couple oddities. When I disconnect the Cts it doesn't go into limp mode. And still has a reading at the ecu..... so i ordered a new/used harness for a s13 it has the same pinout as my ecu and most of the connectors are the same. Now waiting.....

Edited by Lozer
Spelling
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 steps forward and a slip on my ass backward.

So new harness got here and i ended up using it for diagnostics and found i was causing my self a ground loop problem. Regrounded the new ecu to the same point at the engine block and it seems to be running right for now....

Found the clutch had drained itself on my floor. Pulled the leaking slave and i found a chunk of clutch material sticking out the clutch arm hole. Thought it was chucks of an animal at first.

Ordered an exedy stage 1 clutch as the fj20et seems to use the same 240mm clutct as all the other turbo motors.

FB_IMG_1615512543481.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So ive replaced the entire harness with a tested new (to me) harness and the random limp mode issue remains. Ive sent the ecu back to JWT with the hopes they find something wrong with it. 

If they can't identify the problem im going to fet a refund and buy a Haltech and have it dyno tuned.

Also stay away from innovate motorsports widebands. I got a scg-1 wideband / boost controller and this pos has gone through 4 sensors in 6 months and less then 1k miles.

Currently frustrated.

Edited by Lozer
  • Confused 1

The endless maintenance continues.... So while waiting for my newish ecu to show up I decided to address the clutch issue.

Drained the tranny and found what looks to be most of a bearing cage on the magnet. Got the trans out and found the clutch looking like this, Jesus i'm lucky it didn't just implode.

To add insult to injury the front of the r200 is leaking behind the bolt. So gonna pull  that too and rebuild it (needs clutches anyhow)

Looking for a 240sx or sr20 or rb 5 speed as a replacement. 

clutch.jpg

trans.jpg

chunks.jpg

• Like 1

So the front idler bearing shit itself.

Its the 56mm version. I had a hell of a time finding it lots of the larger version but not many of this size.

So i also found a 71c put of an rb20 with a roached 2nd gear, im hoping i can just fix up the 71c and stab that and have a new single piece shaft made.

FB_IMG_1617635897716.jpg

FB_IMG_1617635908962.jpg

• Like 1

Happy, sad updates.

Sad first. I picked up an rb20 5 speed with a "2nd gear grind" got it home popped the case and found this. 2nd gear is just toast. The rest aren't great either.

So I replaced the countershaft bearing in my 71b cleaned her up and resealed her.

The 71c will be getting a rebuild and a new 2nd gear when I find it. I also found out the u joints in the 2 piece driveshaft are notchy and pinned in so replacing them is either a shit show or no go. 

Good stuff. I got the 71b and the new exedy clutch back in the car with new seals and a DIY short shifter mod to the stock shifter/ rabbit ears.  Finally got to take her out for clutch break in and deal with the cursed random limp mode........ Reverse doesn't grind almost at all any more and the notch shifter is a much improved feel.

I've been working with Clark and Ben at Jim Wolf to get this stanza ecu working correctly on the fj20 and for the most part it works with the exception of randomly going into limp mode when decelerating. Clark had me ground out the TPS and disconnect the throttle switch and bang limp mode was gone. So I started playing with the voltage and found the TPS would drop down past .45v to .42 when I dropped the throttle hard so I bumped the TPS up to .5 and it would still drop down to .45 but I was still getting the limp mode issue. I then swapped out the TPS to another spare and it also would drop down past the initial voltage but I the limp mode became less consistent. 

I had 1 more TPS floating on my old ka24/e/de I grabbed that and popped it on and it seems the issue is gone.  FFS 2 bad TPS sensors in a row.

For my next act I'm going to pull the entire rear subframe and clean/ fix the lsd. 

71c6.jpg

71c2.jpg

71c3.jpg

71c4.jpg

• Like 2

She lives..... Took her out for an extended cruise tonight dialed in the ole S-AFC for optimal AFR  ( small adjustments) finished up rewraping all the damn wires and harness, got the Consult back up and ready to data log. 

Finally a good day with her.  I've renamed her Oni Chan 

I've gotta throw some heat reflective tape on the underside of the hood and wrap the turbo pipes.

v4.jpg

• Like 2

Took her out for a nice coastal Cruise today. She stayed stable the whole trip, was kinda awesome.  The short throw trick with moving the swivel holes up higher worked beautifully good notch shifter engagement.

Although I did notice what sounds like either the diff or the driveline making a growling noise off throttle coasting along. I replaced the rubber doughnuts between the trans mount and the chassis with poly doughnuts it may just be the trans howling through the chassis or the driveshafts notch ass u joints bitching. Either way pulling the rear subframe and getting a 1 piece axle done up. 

coast 1.jpg

Coast2.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Z32T.

So I got her together enough to take her to the historics at Sonoma. Event was kinda sad due to covid, non event people were not allowed so there were no vendors with swag or cool displays. 

I was the only Japanese car there so it was lonely but I got to chat about the skyline to a bunch of folks. 

Now the real kicker was doing the parade lap... so 2 laps around the track at 5 mph, well that shit don't fly for me so at turn 8 there was a large gap between myself and the charger in front of me.... so like any red blooded kamikaze pilot i dumped 2nd gear and drifted the shit out of it and it was all good until i went to correct it and over corrected.  Needless to say i ended up in the grass on turn 8 getting laughed at by my kid.  

We took off after the parade lap and drove back up to Mendocino up highway 1.

I'm running 450lbs springs up front and 350lbs in back. 

I'm shaving 100lbs of spring off each corner as that shits way to stiff.

FB_IMG_1619475144384.jpg

FB_IMG_1619475736433.jpg

Edited by Lozer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Lozer said:

Thanks Z32T.

So I got her together enough to take to the historics at Sonoma. Event was kinda sad due to covid, non event people were not allowed so there were no vendors with swag or cool displays. 

I was the only japanese car there so it was lonly but i got to chat about the skyline to a bunch of folks. 

Now the real kicker was doing the parade lap... so 2 laps around the track at 5 mph, well that shit dont fly for me so at turn 8 there was a large gap between myself and the charger in front of me.... so like any red blooded kamikaze pilot i dumped 2nd gear and drifted the shit out of it and it was all good until i went to correct it and over corrected.  Needless to say i ended up in the grass on turn 8 getting laughed at by my kid.  

We took off after the parde lap and drove back up to mendocino up highway 1.

im running 450lbs springs up front and 350lbs in back. 

Im shaving 100lbs of spring off each corner as that shits way to stiff.

FB_IMG_1619475144384.jpg

FB_IMG_1619475736433.jpg

Any other right hand drive cars there?

None that I remember but the one car I was tripping out on was a meld up of a 69ish mustang and a 69 Lincoln continental. Front half was a mustang and from the doors back was a Lincoln. 

There were a couple 308 Ferrari's a shit load of mustangs, vetts and 2020 challengers...

Oh there was a Suzuki Samurai so I was not the only j tin there.

• Like 1

Spent some time getting ride height and alignment sorted damn right side was almost an inch higher, I usally sort that when I install coilovers but i must have just thrown em on.  

Also it would seem my oil seepage has stopped. After the ride down to infineon the car lost a .5 quart of oil and I was a little concerned.  But after topping it up and running down to Golden week kyusha fest in Richmond she dident burn or leak any.

Kyusha fest was cool. I saw the other dr30 that i know of in california and had a great drive. 

Unfortunatly my damned go pro only saved half the pictures i took......

Next thing is rebuilding the siezed ac pump and getting that working.

FB_IMG_1620071631069.jpg

FB_IMG_1620071636434.jpg

FB_IMG_1620071640314.jpg

FB_IMG_1620071644305.jpg

After driving back up to Mendocino last Saturday the weather was in the 90's and hommie don't play that. Part of why I sold my 510 was the lack of creature comforts and just how damn uncomfortable the car was (my fault for building it that way).  

The skyline came with a locked up ac compressor and I figured like everything else on the car it died from lack of use. So I stripped it down and found that the blades had locked up in the turbine from gummed up oil and a touch of surface rust.  A hard hit of 1000 grit later she spins freely and the clutch works. Now to convert to the crappy R134 and have slightly colder then 90* air blowing in my face.

183025021_10225813721879814_8757615783524860213_n.jpg

182745230_10225813721599807_5330711187878326061_n.jpg

182690130_10225813722479829_5426336393322330318_n.jpg

182950326_10225813722759836_2239330931104715084_n.jpg

182590439_10225813723079844_7511520201246947124_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So this pretty thing showed up from import drag works. Took some work to get it in but its a perfect fit. Also replaced my front seal on the r200. Hope I  didn't fuck up the pinion depth.

Also had to solder on the radiator overflow nipple as it was slowly leaking.

FB_IMG_1621004360070.jpg

• Like 3

Skirts and airdam, replace the OEM crash bumpers with lightweight composite that blends the airdam with the front end and smooths the body lines in the rear.

Oh, and nice business coupe rear seat delete.

Edited by Racer X 69
  • Like 1