• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

S38hCaQ.jpeg

Do you have a clutch alignment tool? You'll need one to install the Pressure plate. See if it slips in easily. 

It slips in pretty easy with a little force and when I pull it out it makes a pop noise like air is getting sucked into it. Also how heavy is the engine now? 

1 hour ago, Richie said:

It slips in pretty easy with a little force and when I pull it out it makes a pop noise like air is getting sucked into it. Also how heavy is the engine now? 

Why ask the engine weight? L16 is about 265 pounds.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

x7pfwTH.jpeg

I’m just saying Mike this is comedy now. This was the third time putting the engine in and now the transmission is out 😂. This Datsun has an attitude. Removing the transmission was a lot easier than I thought it’d be. 

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What about mating the engine and transmission and putting it back in together. (to be honest I have never done it this way)

Yea that’s the plan now that the tranny is out. I just can’t get the right angle and I’m tired of banging up the oil pan. 

58 minutes ago, Richie said:

Does anyone know the diameter clearance of the pilot bushing the the transmission shaft so it fits in fine? Also what size reamer I use? I see the one Mike put but I can’t make out the size. Thank you. 

What Mike posted is not a reamer..

It's a chamfering bit.....

I'm sure someone know the needed clearance....

I'll check later if anyone responded...

I can check when I get home....

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

What Mike posted is not a reamer..

It's a chamfering bit.....

I'm sure someone know the needed clearance....

I'll check later if anyone responded...

I can check when I get home....

Yea chamfer my bad. Thank you. 

I found the dimension of the pilot bushing.....

I know some people have had issues and had to ream after install ....

My guess is you want to open it back up to the .629 size but not sure... I have a transmission sitting out in my garage, I'll measure the input shaft diameter when I get home ... couple sights said .002-.003 clearance but again nothing concrete just opinions....

Screenshot_20210729-143703_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I found the dimension of the pilot bushing.....

I know some people have had issues and had to ream after install ....

My guess is you want to open it back up to the .629 size but not sure... I have a transmission sitting out in my garage, I'll measure the input shaft diameter when I get home ... couple sights said .002-.003 clearance but again nothing concrete just opinions....

Screenshot_20210729-143703_Chrome.jpg

Thank you. I’m just trying to get this damn transmission  to fit 

Pounding it in with a block of 2x4 over it shouldn't deform it so the input shaft won't fit. The sintered bronze powered is very soft. The input shaft is always a bit wobbly and will center on the hole. It's also blunt and bullet shape which helps. I wouldn't ream it if I had the choice I'd put a new one in. This bushing supports and centers the input shaft including the spinning clutch disc. Too much wobble from a little too much clearance could vibrate and wear it out even faster.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Thank you. I’m just trying to get this damn transmission  to fit 

I just measured the output shaft at .621-.622... so that's .007-.008 clearance if the bushing isnt deforming.... 

Do you have a 5/8 drill?

That's. 625 DO NOT use it to drill out the bushing.... use the end you would put in a drill chuck as a gauge... if it fits so will your transmission..... 

If not choice is your to ream it or try installing a new one.... 

I think mainer311 ended up reaming his... maybe he chim in on what size he used..... my guess a 5/8 would get the job done but again I'm not sure the actual necessary clearance.....

• Thanks 1