'73 240Z VQ35DE Swap Resto

A little background, I've had this Z for 21 years and spent the last decade restoring and modifying it to what it is today. I got it back from paint in August of 19 and cranked it on February 1, 2020. I was totally done in April. The car has been dyno tuned at Soho Motorsports in Charlotte NC along with a rather aggressive street alignment. Everything on the car is brand new, here is a run down of some of the parts. All the work with exception of paint was done by me. 270/270 at the wheels at 2574 lbs.

2005 350Z engine with matching 6spd -Z1 lightweight fly and crank pulley, kinetix upper plenum, hoke performance shifter relocation

350z complete clutch pedal assembly with master and reservior

Custom griffin radiator with recovery system

Custom driveshaft with 1320 joints

R200 3.5 with Mfactory helical locker (3.9 was too spicy for the street)

Troy Ermish cv axles/adapters

Toyota front brakes, 240sx rear, stainless steel lines

350z Brake booster

1" wilwood master cylinder w/proportioning valve

Modified stock fuel tank with aeromotive stealth phantom system, -6 lines

TTT control arms, Ground Control coilovers, camber plates

Rota RBR 17x8.5 wheels w/ 245/40 tires - custom center cap stickers

Speedhut Revolution gauges

Modified center console- moved the shifter location back 2" and abs plastic center panel wrapped in alcontara suede.

NRG quick disconnect with NRG steering wheel

Electric power steering from zpowersteering.com - freaking awesome btw

LED headlights, turn signals, markers, and taillights - also sequential 

RFID push button start- when approaching the car unlocks, and locks when you walk away

I rewired the entire car, i think i added around 12 relays. But it all works! I'm sure there is a lot more stuff, tons of details. I have put about 250 miles on it so far...it's incredible, amazing level of grip.

Oh and it has a 7 speaker audio system with bluetooth and handsfree calling (not that I can actually hear anything). Tweeters are in the dash vents, and a 12" sub/amp is in the spare tire well.

And now for the pictures!

Photo-Jul-18-7-51-36-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-50-58-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-50-00-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-49-49-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-49-40-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-48-22-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-47-16-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-47-06-AM.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-7-46-47-AM.jpg

IMG-5288.jpg

IMG-5287.jpg

IMG-5285.jpg

IMG-5292.jpg

IMG-5284.jpg

IMG-5283.jpg

IMG-5280.jpg

IMG-5262.jpg

IMG-5263.jpg

IMG-5264.jpg

IMG-5265.jpg

IMG-5266.jpg

IMG-5267.jpg

IMG-5268.jpg

IMG-5269.jpg

IMG-5270.jpg

IMG-5271.jpg

IMG-5272.jpg

IMG-5273.jpg

IMG-5274.jpg

IMG-5275.jpg

IMG-5276.jpg

IMG-5277.jpg

IMG-5278.jpg

IMG-5279.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Z.  I like that you keep the exterior appearance fairly stock.

How do you like the black trim now that it is together?  I have two 510s to assemble (1 red 1 orange) and I have all black powder coated  bumpers and trim.  They were supposed to go on the red one, but I think they would look cooler on the orange one. 

Nice intro.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm a big fan of dark in place of chrome (even more so because chrome is neither diy nor cheap).

Looking forward to the 620.

1 hour ago, iceman510 said:

Nice Z.  I like that you keep the exterior appearance fairly stock.

How do you like the black trim now that it is together?  I have two 510s to assemble (1 red 1 orange) and I have all black powder coated  bumpers and trim.  They were supposed to go on the red one, but I think they would look cooler on the orange one. 

Thank you.

I think the black bumpers look especially good with brighter color cars. The 905 (or something) blue on these cars looks absolutely gorgeous with chrome, but it’s a darkish color.

I painted the drip rail ss trim body color to help blend that in with the lines without eliminating it. The window trim was only lightly polished so that it would still show some grain. But having the bumpers black, matching the wheels and other bits is a nice contrast in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Nice intro.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm a big fan of dark in place of chrome (even more so because chrome is neither diy nor cheap).

Looking forward to the 620.

Thanks, the 620 is going to be a cheap build. The whole “no expense spared” type of build was a one time deal for me. Don’t think my wife would allow it again either...

I’m excited about starting on the 620 this winter. I’ll put a wrench in my son’s hand to help with this one — he’s 4. But It’ll be fun.

4 minutes ago, Tank. said:

Thanks, the 620 is going to be a cheap build. The whole “no expense spared” type of build was a one time deal for me. Don’t think my wife would allow it again either...

I’m excited about starting on the 620 this winter. I’ll put a wrench in my son’s hand to help with this one — he’s 4. But I’ll be fun.

Yeah there aren't many round here who do much of the no expense spared type build.  We are more of the "I have $17, how can i make this crap work?"

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Awesome, thank you. Is that fuel system still return-less or did you change out the rails to have a return?

I made a return style system with Ross machine billet fuel rails and aeromotive fpr.

1775-D0-C3-750-F-4-D00-B4-B6-D32635933-A

49-EF3-F1-C-F151-4254-B97-A-BA79-E24-E2-

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words. I’ll be taking the Z to Zcon this year at Nissan North America so if any of you are going to be there, stop and say hello.

5 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Can't wait to see how the 620 turns out. 😄

Me too, but we are’ t in a hurry so it will be awhile. Thanks for the mounts!

• Like 1

Hot Damn! That is one awesome Z - Nice Work!!

Glad you kept the swap in the family, and it is amazing how much space there is left in that engine bay. The car must handle great with the engine so far back in the car, should be nicely balanced. 

Look forward to seeing where that 620 goes! 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...